MMA Fights In Tennessee Now Legal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA Fights In Tennessee Now Legal
grappler0000
6/18/08 7:29:30AM
Gov. Phil Bredesen on Tuesday signed a bill that will pave the way for professional matches to be held in the state.

Until now, it was only legal to train in Tennessee.

One local gym is looking to hold large tournaments in front of 2,000 people as early as the fall. But first, the state has to set up a commission to regulate the fights.

"It was definitely a hurry up and wait. We pushed, we pushed, we pushed. We spearheaded this whole campaign to get this passed and now it's like, ‘Yes you're allowed but we don't really know what you're allowed to do yet,’” said Nashville MMA representative Jamie Bryant.

Link
grappler0000
6/18/08 7:30:34AM
I wonder how long til the UFC brings Rampage to Tennessee.
DCRage
6/18/08 8:11:26AM
Probably as soon as the commission is in place and they can secure a large enough venue for the vent-probably in Nashville or Memphis.
holt8081
6/18/08 10:01:29AM
good the rest of the country is comeing around
jlock003
6/18/08 10:56:28AM
This just made my morning! I'm from TN, and we are always way behind the ball on things like this so this is huge for our state. I hope it will encourage other states to follow suite. Nashville MMA is a huge gym out here I bet they are the gym that is planning big shows. I can't wait til it gets going!
The-Don
6/18/08 11:48:04AM
yea I am excited as well... I am in the process of opening my gym here shortly.. and the Nashville MMA is a good gym a tad over priced for me.. but a good gym..
browneye
6/18/08 12:48:11PM
This is great, now i'll finally be able to go to a UFC event now. The most likely arenas will be: The Nashville Predators arena in Nashville, The FedEx Forum (where the memphis tigers play), and Thompson Bowling- Arena in Knoxville (where tennessee vols play)
casey64
6/18/08 1:17:54PM
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/18/08 3:43:40PM

Posted by DCRage

Probably as soon as the commission is in place and they can secure a large enough venue for the vent-probably in Nashville or Memphis.

im sure they'll try memphis

& i sure as hell will be there
casey64
6/18/08 5:46:47PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by DCRage

im sure they'll try memphis

& i sure as hell will be there

hopefully nashville too or knoxville I can go to either but it will be hard for me to get to memphis.
whardin19
6/18/08 6:08:18PM
This is great news! I'm not too far away from Tennesse. I live in Indiana. Hopefully they come to Chicago and Tennesse soon. Because I know I'll be there.