Top 10 MMA fighters all time.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Top 10 MMA fighters all time.
« Previous Page
Theoutlaw08
7/22/11 2:17:01PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm fine with people not liking Fedor. Hell, if people think he's overrated that's fine too, I'll argue with them, but it's their opinion. But to say he ducked UFC fighters when PRIDE clearly had the deeper talent pool bothers me. It also gets to me when people say he fought a bunch of cans. I'm not even to get into the whole thing again, but Kevin Randleman is a great example of a guy who has a .500 record now, but was one of the best in the world in his heyday. Because newer fans go on Sherdog and look up his record on there they think he's a scrub, but that couldn't have been further from the truth when he was in his prime, he was one of the scariest guys out there. It's fine that not everyone wasn't a fan in the old days, but don't act like you have a handle on things back then unless you know what you're talking about. Or just sit under your bridge and wait for a fatter billy goat to walk over it. That's not directed at anyone in particular, it's just a generalization.

FlashyG
7/22/11 2:32:51PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by tn_rebel

He was in my top 10 but don't feel like he has fought the level of competition of Randy...That is why he slipped to number 7.

James Toney.

Come on! You know as well as I that was just to prove a point about mma compared to boxing!

An argument can be made that Randy was avoiding top competition more than Fedor. Bodog offered him 3 Million to Randy for a Fedor fight and he rejected it, saying he was retired. He then promptly un-retired to fight Tim Silvia.

ghandikush
7/22/11 2:34:59PM

Posted by cagerage920

Posted by ghandikush
Shogun (no title but as good competition as any champ, and he is the only one to REALLY beat Lyoto)

he had the title. he got it when he really beat lyoto

and if shogun is one of the greatest because he is the only person to finish lyoto shouldnt lyoto be on the list too?

Shogun held a title but never got a real chance to defend. Lyoto will be on this list if he stops getting screwed over in decisions he clearly won. Shogun has the more stacked resume I believe and trust me, Lyoto is my favorite fighter.

Something to be known is that noone really hits Lyoto when hes not charging in to finish and Lyoto was winning the round against shogun and discouraging him when Shogun threw the big hook. Take out the power and Lyoto has the better skillset imo.

Add in the power and Shogun's stylistic advantages make me cry in a rematch. Better resume, Shogun wins.

As for the Fedor argument, I really dislike the way Fedor has clearly ducked everywone since being a god in pride but in pride he was exactly that, a god.

As for all the Royce Gracie love, he is the weakest of the 3 brothers and Rickson would have destroyed everyone in much shorter order.
cowcatcher
7/22/11 2:39:39PM

Posted by ghandikush

As for all the Royce Gracie love, he is the weakest of the 3 brothers and Rickson would have destroyed everyone in much shorter order.

Royce's inclusion for me is about what he meant to the sport, more than as a top ten talent.
tn_rebel
7/22/11 2:57:30PM
You can't take away from what Royce did. He had one of the best runs in mma history. Sometimes finishing 3 or 4 guys a night. Granted it wasn't the same sport back then. It was more "style vs. style" rather than being trained in every aspect. But you can credit him for it becoming what it is and making wrestlers and strikers realize they need to learn some JJ.
emfleek
7/22/11 2:58:18PM
Royce dodged top competition for years!!!

tn_rebel
7/22/11 3:19:26PM
Not to mention Royce was sometime finishing guys twice his size.
ghandikush
7/22/11 3:21:16PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by ghandikush

Royce's inclusion for me is about what he meant to the sport, more than as a top ten talent.

Right. That is true. Rickson did not beat 4 guys in a night, but he did the same display in Pride and he was the much better talent. Not saying Rickson shoud be up there but if he's better than Royce and showed japan what Royce did in America how do you decide which should be in the top 10?

My reason for stating this is to show a reason to not pick any of the old guys.

Ninja Rua had a hell of a run back in the day but you dont see him as a top 10.
Budgellism
7/22/11 3:25:17PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

Fedor has never wanted to test himself against the best. That is how he has racked up all those wins. He has made a career out of beating people who couldn't cut it in the UFC. He has dodged competition like Randy Couture his whole career, and 10 years from now everyone will still remember Randy and have no idea who Fedor is. No way he goes ahead of Randy on this list. Randy has fought the best of the best in their primes. Whether he one or lost he always tested himself against the best. How can we put someone in the top 5 that never tested themselves? What if Matt Hughes had dodged GSP and BJ? Would he be considered the best ever?

not again...

Do I even have to argue about this again? Listen, you obviously are fairly new to the sport if you believe that. Do some research, go beyond Fedor's last two fights, and reassess what you said because it is incorrect. It's not an opinion, it's wrong. Period. I could say that the sky is brown and it wouldn't be my opinion, it would just be wrong. That's what you just did here.

Exactly... Sick of the Fedor was never great talk. He was obviously one of the best. He destroyed Big Nog who was the number 1 ranked fighter in the world at that point, he also beat Herring, who was one of the best at that time, Cro Crop in his prime and no one had ever beaten Sylvia like Fedor did. Also, I don't give a **** who he was fighting. Staying unbeaten for that amount of time is insane. Saying he doesn't belong in the top 5 means you don't know what you're talking about.
tn_rebel
7/22/11 3:38:37PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

Fedor has never wanted to test himself against the best. That is how he has racked up all those wins. He has made a career out of beating people who couldn't cut it in the UFC. He has dodged competition like Randy Couture his whole career, and 10 years from now everyone will still remember Randy and have no idea who Fedor is. No way he goes ahead of Randy on this list. Randy has fought the best of the best in their primes. Whether he one or lost he always tested himself against the best. How can we put someone in the top 5 that never tested themselves? What if Matt Hughes had dodged GSP and BJ? Would he be considered the best ever?

not again...

Do I even have to argue about this again? Listen, you obviously are fairly new to the sport if you believe that. Do some research, go beyond Fedor's last two fights, and reassess what you said because it is incorrect. It's not an opinion, it's wrong. Period. I could say that the sky is brown and it wouldn't be my opinion, it would just be wrong. That's what you just did here.

Exactly... Sick of the Fedor was never great talk. He was obviously one of the best. He destroyed Big Nog who was the number 1 ranked fighter in the world at that point, he also beat Herring, who was one of the best at that time, Cro Crop in his prime and no one had ever beaten Sylvia like Fedor did. Also, I don't give a **** who he was fighting. Staying unbeaten for that amount of time is insane. Saying he doesn't belong in the top 5 means you don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, I did have him at 7. That pretty great to be the 7th best mma fighter of all time. Second he has fought more nobody's and has been's than anyone else on my list. Heath Herring as one of the best? Your kidding right? Cro Cop? We seen what happen to Cro Cop against real competition. Ain't no Bob Sapps in the UFC! And go ahead and mention the Silvia's and Arlovski's of the world who are losing to 50 year old boxers.The Big Nog fights were good wins though, congrats you got 1 right!
ghandikush
7/22/11 4:09:04PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

First of all, I did have him at 7. That pretty great to be the 7th best mma fighter of all time. Second he has fought more nobody's and has been's than anyone else on my list. Heath Herring as one of the best? Your kidding right? Cro Cop? We seen what happen to Cro Cop against real competition. Ain't no Bob Sapps in the UFC! And go ahead and mention the Silvia's and Arlovski's of the world who are losing to 50 year old boxers.The Big Nog fights were good wins though, congrats you got 1 right!

herring was a top guy at the time, so were a lot of the pride fights. But youre right. So yeah, roy jones jr is not an all time great because he hasnt won against any top competition since 2003.
tn_rebel
7/22/11 4:15:53PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

herring was a top guy at the time, so were a lot of the pride fights. But youre right. So yeah, roy jones jr is not an all time great because he hasnt won against any top competition since 2003.

Well I'm sorry to offend all the Fedor maniacs out there. but if i was considered the 7th best to do anything I would take it as a compliment especially if I managed to do so without beating the best of that sport. And you're right Roy Jones wouldn't even make the top 10 because of level of competition, but boxing has been around longer. Good comparison though.
Theoutlaw08
7/22/11 4:35:26PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

The run he had was stupid good, it was enough to get him on this list.
Theoutlaw08
7/22/11 4:39:36PM

Posted by tn_rebel
Well I'm sorry to offend all the Fedor maniacs out there. but if i was considered the 7th best to do anything I would take it as a compliment especially if I managed to do so without beating the best of that sport. And you're right Roy Jones wouldn't even make the top 10 because of level of competition, but boxing has been around longer. Good comparison though.

You're not offending anyone....I'm not a Fedor maniac and I think you sound clueless right now. To say he hasn't fought anyone or dodged competition is completely absurd. I mean the guy had a winning streak that stretched from 2001 to 2009, and I don't care who he was fighting, even a blind squirrel finds a nut and woulda beat him. He's good and he's one of the best ever, end of story.
tn_rebel
7/22/11 4:44:37PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

The run he had was stupid good, it was enough to get him on this list. [/Q

I definately agree. Has no one seen my list? But there is other fighters ahead of him that have fought better competition. Its not whether he should be on the list that is in question here. Its what is more important an impressive win streak or big name high profile fights against the best of the best. He deserves to be on the list but not higher than the people who have sought out to prove they are the best.
Theoutlaw08
7/22/11 4:55:46PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

The run he had was stupid good, it was enough to get him on this list. [/Q

I definately agree. Has no one seen my list? But there is other fighters ahead of him that have fought better competition. Its not whether he should be on the list that is in question here. Its what is more important an impressive win streak or big name high profile fights against the best of the best. He deserves to be on the list but not higher than the people who have sought out to prove they are the best.

Nobody is debating your list. It's the fact you have said he doesn't really deserve to be at certain spots because of his competition or lack there of, and that he has dodged major competition. He beat big name guys in his day, because they aren't big name guys anymore doesn't mean they weren't back then. The guys Chuck used to beat up on are scrubs now too, that doesn't mean Chuck should get the same recognition.
Patchedup15
7/22/11 5:11:03PM
Fedor record is inflated.. he was in one too many freak show fights, and fed low level opponents to be this high.. IF he beats hendo.. i will accept he deserves to be top 10.. but i still think he's been a product of reputation arriving ahead of ability
Theoutlaw08
7/22/11 5:18:04PM

Posted by Patchedup15

Fedor record is inflated.. he was in one too many freak show fights, and fed low level opponents to be this high.. IF he beats hendo.. i will accept he deserves to be top 10.. but i still think he's been a product of reputation arriving ahead of ability

WHAT????
Patchedup15
7/22/11 5:55:24PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Patchedup15

WHAT????

its just my opinion.. i acknowledge he is remarkably talented but i think he has faced a lot of less talented competition. to list him as # 1-5 on a top all time list is unfair
ghandikush
7/22/11 6:22:10PM

Posted by Patchedup15

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Patchedup15

WHAT????

its just my opinion.. i acknowledge he is remarkably talented but i think he has faced a lot of less talented competition. to list him as # 1-5 on a top all time list is unfair

understandable but in his actual prime he faced nothing but the very best level of competition. And decimated it.

Schilt used to be a known guy, herring, big nog, coleman, etc destroyed all of em.
prophecy033
7/22/11 7:51:13PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

preach it brotha. Fedor fought big nog when big nog was the #1 hw on the planet and beat him twice and drew a third. He beat cro-cop when he was top 5. He ruled the best heavyweight class at the time. If 1st grade playgrounders are gonna speak on big kid subjects, us og's will learn ya
Adrenaline
7/22/11 8:28:45PM
I'm garbage at making lists so I will skip that but I just wanted to drop my 2 cents:

I am not a Fedor fan per say, I have alway been indifferent to the guy but I can say that I am annoyed by his die-hard fans, his management, the hype, the drama, and the fact that he cannot be mentioned in a thread without a 4 page long debate about the guy. In essence, I just don't really care much about Fedor.

But....

He is positively, without a doubt, a shoe in for the top five greatest MMA fighters of all time (at this point in a still young sport). If he wouldn't have dropped his last two he would have been right near the top. Cowcatcher has done an excellent job of explaining that though his competition may have crap records now, the majority of them were legit at the time of his reign. He was fed a few fat ones down the middle but what fighter hasn't been? The people that argue about his quality of opponents are the same people that say Randy was really no good, Chuck was overrated and the newest one that I find rediculous is that BJ was never that good. It baffles me. We are fickle bunch with short term memory I guess.

cowcatcher
7/22/11 8:43:39PM

Posted by Adrenaline

We are fickle bunch with short term memory I guess.

In the end this sums up fans of MMA, and I'd venture to guess fans of any new(ish) sport, although I have nothing to base it on other than MMA since any other sport I care about has been around since long before I was born.
Pages: 1 [2]