MMA Fighters with K-1 Level Striking.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Fighters with K-1 Level Striking.
chickmagnet
6/24/08 6:17:42PM

Here's my list:

Mirko Cro Cop (of course)
Anderson Silva
Semmy Schilt
Igor Vochanchyn
BJ Penn
Lyoto Machida

and of course all the guys who came from K-1 over to MMA.
rabbit915
6/24/08 6:19:15PM
BJ Penns striking is not nearly that good. It just looks that way in comparison to other guys at LW. For the most part high level striking is lacking from the LW division. Its nearly all wrestlers and JJ guys.
chickmagnet
6/24/08 6:25:47PM

Posted by rabbit915

BJ Penns striking is not nearly that good. It just looks that way in comparison to other guys at LW. For the most part high level striking is lacking from the LW division. Its nearly all wrestlers and JJ guys.

Thats nonsense. Watch the GSP fight. He outsrtuck GSP badly. Went toe to toe with Machida and had Machida backing up most of the fight.
Violence108
6/24/08 6:28:48PM
Sam Stout, was a K-1 fighter
MMAcca
6/24/08 6:29:15PM

Posted by rabbit915

juanez13
6/24/08 6:31:57PM
BJ penn has good boxing, but few kicks, his stand up is not complete, so i dont think he is K-1 level, he'd get killed with kicks.

Lyoto would get destroyed in K-1 also, he wouldnt be able to avoid a good striker, and even more so with it being in a ring, he'd get cornered and destroyed.

Semmy is not really in MMA anymore, thats the only thing, but he is defenately at the top.

some that arent on the list i'd say->

Thiago Alves
Antoni Hardonk
Mark Hunt
Cung lee

chickmagnet
6/24/08 6:41:05PM

Posted by juanez13

BJ penn has good boxing, but few kicks, his stand up is not complete, so i dont think he is K-1 level, he'd get killed with kicks.

Lyoto would get destroyed in K-1 also, he wouldnt be able to avoid a good striker, and even more so with it being in a ring, he'd get cornered and destroyed.

Semmy is not really in MMA anymore, thats the only thing, but he is defenately at the top.

Thiago Alves
Antoni Hardonk
Mark Hunt
Cung lee

Forgot about Hardonk, Mark Hunt came from Kickboxing previously, Cung Lee is another.
hotrodttt
6/24/08 6:52:47PM
Cung Le's undefeated in Kickboxing/ San Shou, Ratmond Daniels has wacky Striking but he's Good, Thiago Alves, Fedor outstruck everybody he's ever faced, and Alistair Overeem's Striking is Great.

B.J's Boxing is Great but were talking about all around K-1 Striking and B.J never uses Kick's, and his knees are Great but there is more to Kickboxing than Hands and Knees.
cmill21
6/24/08 7:05:07PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by juanez13

Thiago Alves
Antoni Hardonk
Mark Hunt
Cung lee

Forgot about Hardonk, Mark Hunt came from Kickboxing previously, Cung Lee is another.

Bj would do ok, but you have to remember he's in MAX, so right there he's facing Zabidis, Sower, Buakaw, Masato, ect. Alot tougher then guys like Cro Cop who could go back and do very well again.
ufc88
6/24/08 7:36:05PM
mark hominick
rabbit915
6/24/08 8:49:12PM
A couple people have mentioned Hardonk. He was in K-1, so i think thats a given.

As far as the BJ Penn's fight with GSP. GSP is another guy who has good striking for MMA but not great striking. He has admited that he prefers to go to the ground because its less of a toss-up when he fights then. Doesnt sound like a guy who is real confident in his stand-up.

And Machida is a guy who may have better striking abilities than people thing. He has developed a style based on MMA and its quite effective at facing guys who dont have K-1 level striking and frustrating them standing up and keeping them from taking him down.

Oh and as for BJ backing Machida up the whole fight, when does Machida not back up?
ncordless
6/24/08 8:56:39PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by rabbit915

Thats nonsense. Watch the GSP fight. He outsrtuck GSP badly. Went toe to toe with Machida and had Machida backing up most of the fight.

Machida backs away from everybody. BJ has great boxing... but there is more than fists to K-1. As someone else on the site asked once... when's the last time you saw BJ throw a high kick?
jiujitsufreak74
6/24/08 9:03:49PM
Machida, being a karate guy, can be like Andy Hug was in K-1 (in terms of finding success with Karate, not that he would be as good as Hug or even come close).

BJ is not a K-1 level striker. his striking is well suited for MMA but it is not at a K-1 level nor is it suitable for K-1 fighting. in order to find success at K-1 you need to throw combos, utilize kicks effectively and numerously, learn proper striking angles and be able to score punches while wearing the larger gloves. it is imo that BJ would not be able to fins success at the K-1 level because i don't think he meets those qualifications.

i agree with some of the other names mentioned, and whoever said Schilt is just stating the obvious. Schilt is the best K-1 fighter of all time, of course he has K-1 level striking.

Pookie
6/24/08 10:52:44PM
Barring all mma fighters who have fought in k-1 before and not been handily destroyed(obviously its k-1 level is they were successful there)

The closest fighter id say would be Shogun, if allowed to use his clinch. Im rusty on k-1 but last i remember they kind of dont allow muay thai guys to do that for more than a few seconds. I choose shogun because he tends to throw his shots in combinations, with great head movement and his kicks are just as good as his hands.

....And maybe alistair overeem when he has the gas tank to fight for more than 3 minutes. Has he ever done k-1 before?

Other than that id have to say no one has k-1 level striking.

You cant judge how a fighter would do in k-1 by how he does in mma. The striking game is entirely different. Worlds Apart. And the fighters preperation for MMA combat heavily influence the striking department as well. You cant do the same things since you have to worry about the takedown and be able to defend it.
Then add in the Bigger gloves and all those one punch type stand-up guys like Wandy, Chuck, Hendo...etc. are not going to be nearly as effective.

I think a better question would be p4p who has the best striking in MMA, but when it pertains to k-1... theres not many IMO.

cmill21
6/24/08 11:41:11PM
Oh Iforgot, Gilbert Yvel. As for your comment Pookie your only allowed to throw one technique per clinch, I've seen fights from thailand where guys are so good with the clinch they literally hold the guy in the clinch and deliever knee's until he falls down or the round ends. Buakaw would destroy every K-1 Max fighter under thai rules IMHO. I don't think any LW, WW, or MW would do anything in K-1 since they will either have to fight in MAX or compete in HW. Machida could do well, Anderson could possibly win one or two but no ones going to come at him like Leben did, and it would be alot harder to slip his hands through the bigger gloves and better defense. I gotta say I love you guys getting more involved with K-1 on this site
StriderXero
6/25/08 2:24:58AM
I wanna say Kid Yamamoto, but still not too sure. He had like one fight in k-1, and got knocked out. But that was a very good fight against a very good opponent.
Mastodon2
6/25/08 1:31:22PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Here's my list:

Mirko Cro Cop (of course)
Anderson Silva
Semmy Schilt
Igor Vochanchyn
BJ Penn
Lyoto Machida

and of course all the guys who came from K-1 over to MMA.

Cro Cop would need a tune up before returning, indeed he may have been out of the K-1 game for too long to ever return the level of skill he once had.

Anderson Silva is a good striker, not sure if he is K-1 good since so far we have only seen him chewing up MMA fighters, none of whom were even thought of as great strikers by MMA's standards. He is too big for MAX, but too small for the Heavyweights, Much like Melvin Manhoef. I'd give him even less of a chance than Manhoef though (who regularly loses anyway) since he is more of a technical strikers than Manhoef - at least Melvin can batter people out with hard shots, as he does have very powerful punches, whereas Silva's weaker combos would be blocked and countered by the HW tanks like Le Banner and Aerts.

Semmy Schilt is much more a K-1 fighter than an MMA fighter anyway, so I think putting him on the list is a bit daft. He doesnt really focus on MMA training anymore since he is constantly having K-1 fights lined up for him.

Igor Vovchanchyn fought in K-1, and he lost badly to Hoost. Granted, you could say he was perhaps thrown to the wolves a little early, but no matter how many tune up's he had, his physique would always hold him back against the lankier K-1 HWs. For a HW, Vovchanchyn has stubby limbs and would get picked apart by most good K-1 HWs, as Hoost did to him.

BJ Penn - He would have to fight in MAX, where guys like Souwer, Buakaw por Pramuk, Kraus, Masato and possibly even Yodsaenklai would demolish him. He doesnt work kicks into his MMA game so its sae to say he probably doesn't train them much or at all, and they would be vital to success to MAX. Even with his talent for being a quick learner, I wouldnt give him a chance in MAX, too many strikers who are just quicker and more technical than he will ever be. His striking is good by MMA standards though, certainly more than enough to embaress the other UFC LWs like Sherk.

Lyoto Machida - Even against other 205lbers, in a ring he would get whooped. His footwork isn't that fancy and no mater how "elusive" he is I bet even a half decent 205lb kickboxer would find him very quickly. Playing the Andy Hug card won't work either; he doesnt have Andy's power or his talent. Furthermore, Karate isn't the mysterious secret weapon to the Dutch Muay Thai style that just about all the good European Kickboxers adopted, but since Hug has this kind of lore about him, people still tout it as a secret weapon sometimes. Look at Glaube Feitosa, a very talented karateka, but not wildly successful in K-1. He doesnt have the power of the Muay Thai styled strikers, and while he is exciting to watch from an aesthetic point of view, his fancy kicks don't seem so fancy anymore, and he lacks the power to get the jobs done.

As for the rest of MMA, I still don't believe there are any strikers who are near good enough to make it in K-1. Sure, some MMA guys could win against some of the lower level guys, but against the names, the MMA guys are just too sloppy and amateurish to ever stand a chance.
artofdefense
6/25/08 2:39:00PM
Glaube Feitosa is fighting for the 100kg GP championship. I think he's pretty succesfull.
Mastodon2
6/25/08 3:06:17PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaube_Feitosa

Because of Glaube's poor record, and the fact he has never really beaten any decent fighters (apart from Goodridge, who won the Hawaii GP but got tooled by Le Banner twice, very badly and Paul Slowinski, who is average) I don't really rate Feitosa all that much. He is a good gatekeeper for the HW division, but will never be a success against the elites.
6/25/08 5:13:24PM
Duane Ludwig,he was a american muay thai champ, and i also think he was a junior K-1 champ, or somin like that.