MMA fighters go 3-0 against K-1

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA fighters go 3-0 against K-1
jiujitsufreak74
12/31/08 2:56:29PM
Wow.

Who would have thought that Overeem would make such quick work of Hari. Hari is one of the top K-1 fighters there are having just gone to the Grand Prix Finals and being the HW Champion (until it was stripped of him due to unsportsmanlike behavior). Overeem made him look like a novice in a sport where Hari is the Champion and Overeem is a low to mid level fighter.

Kawajiri also decimated his opponent rather quickly KOing the former K-1Max tournament finalist. Also, don't forget that Mousasi defeated multiple time K-1 Japan Champion in just over 2 and 1/2 minutes.

Now, what does this mean? is K-1 striking not as good as we make it out to be? is MMA striking really that far behind that of the K-1 elite? i am honestly not so sure.

What do you guys think?
postman
12/31/08 3:18:52PM
I was pumped when I saw the Grand Prix on HD Net it was my first time watching on a tv instead of the internet. Afterwards I felt like Anderson would do just fine in K1 and even lower level strikers in MMa ( lower the Anderson) would be able to hang. I didn't say anything due to feeling that there is now way that could be right. But after lastnight I think that MMA guys are putting the the time in all around the board and over all might be behind but not by much.
cmill21
12/31/08 3:26:52PM
I think it's probably a combination of K-1 guys being to cock(Hari was throwing from the hip lol) and when guys aren't as good technically they do alot of things out of the ordinary such as rush strait in like overeem did. Good win for all of them but I woulden't read to much into it.
ohiostate1016
12/31/08 3:54:53PM
I wasn't really surprised by any of the results in those three fights. Overeem and Mousasi are two of the hottest fighters on the planet right now, and Kawajiri is always a dangerous striker.

Sure, K-1 striking may have come down a notch, but I also think that MMA striking is getting a lot better, especially outside of the UFC.
Hendo67
12/31/08 3:57:26PM
I honestly think Overeem may be the top HW next to Fedor right now.
postman
12/31/08 4:04:13PM

Posted by Hendo67

i'm skating on thin Ice with this one but will Alister be allowed to fight in the US?
jiujitsufreak74
12/31/08 4:15:15PM

Posted by Hendo67

alright that i s just crazy imo. the last top 10 talent he fought (besides CC...if you count him as a top 10 HW) was Kharitonov over a year ago...in which he got destroyed. he has never done well against top competition, just look at his record. i really don't understand all of this Overeem hype. sure his win over Hari was impressive, but in MMA he has done nothing special. people are forgetting that Overeem got tooled by Shogun, Lil Nog, Arona and Werdum.
Hendo67
12/31/08 5:11:10PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Hendo67

alright that i s just crazy imo. the last top 10 talent he fought (besides CC...if you count him as a top 10 HW) was Kharitonov over a year ago...in which he got destroyed. he has never done well against top competition, just look at his record. i really don't understand all of this Overeem hype. sure his win over Hari was impressive, but in MMA he has done nothing special. people are forgetting that Overeem got tooled by Shogun, Lil Nog, Arona and Werdum.

It's a bold statement, i know. But i see him as a huge threat to any top 10 out there.

When he fought Shogun, Arona and Lil Nog he was a pup, and a gas bag at 205. I think now he has revamped himself and looks to be a legitimate force.
Wolfenstein
12/31/08 10:31:02PM
I definetely thought it would be 2-1, with the no-brainer being Badr over Alistair. Wow Badr was just outboxed. Overeem just came straight in and walked him down fearlessly. I think it surprised Badr. Make no mistake though 9/10 times Hari takes this fight.

Mousassi was an amateur boxing champion of the Netherlands and changed over to kickboxing so I knew he would do well.

There's probably not as large a disparity as some of us have said--being that there's a lot of great striker in MMA, but I think in terms of recently just ook at what a mid-level K-1 fighter like Pat Barry can do in MMA (and I guess vice versa when you look at Overeem lol).

I wouldn't rate Alistair in the top 5 just yet, but no doubt he is one of the most improve fighters of 2008. Moving to HW and allowing his frame to fill out has been a great move. He has the talent to obviously be top 5 unquestionably and everyone has known that for a while, but he's just never been able to put it together against top guys. His confidence must be soaring high now though, and a big win can easilly put him in the top 5 HW's.

Ring, ring, ring--Dana White here calling Mister Overeem. Please sign on the dotted line.
EvenFlow
1/1/09 8:36:17PM
As far as rankings go I agree with a 10 spot but I can see how people wouldnt put him in the top 10 at all, I will say he's a huge threat to any HW and no offense but I agree with Cro Cop's decision not to fight Overeem and not so much with his decision to fight Choi injured, however I'm stoked to see him back in the winning column.

EDIT: What a great night for the MMA fighters and fans when they utterly smash all 3 professional K-1 kickboxers. The most impressive fight of the night was the 2nd most dominate with Overeem absolutly smashing Hari arguably one of if not the best.

EDIT: