MMA Fan's conversation with Kim and Randy: Forrest ko'd kimbo in sparring and he never came back

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA Fan's conversation with Kim and Randy: Forrest ko'd kimbo in sparring and he never came back
Next Page »
ufc88
3/4/08 1:20:25PM

Hey guys, I don't know if you remember my old thread a while ago when I paid a visit to Randy Couture at his grand opening of his Wellington Xtreme Couture gym in Wellington, FL, but I had a chance to go see him again today and it was quite the journey.

First off, me and my buddies got back at around 2 after the fights and went to bed and woke up at 5 to drive to Wellington in order to make it there at the opening time, which was 10 AM.

From Gainesville, it's about a 4-4.5 hour drive with a stop for food, bathroom, etc. It was brutal. With 3 hours of sleep I drove 4.5 hours there and stayed from 10AM to when the event was over at 4 PM and then drove back and now I'm here, nearly dead.

Anyways, I got a chance to talk to both Randy and Kim for about an hour each 1-on-1. I got a lot of interesting information and cool stuff. I'm just going to list it because I'm far too tired to organize it any other way.

Randy:
Wanderlei is preparing for Jardine, working vastly on wrestling and an "effective gameplan."
Ray Sefo and Jan Nortje has started training @ Xtreme Couture in Vegas.
Randy is happy with his decision to sign with HDNET, and says they are treating him great.
Says he's going to fight Fedor around June or July and they are pushing for it to happen in a cage.
Said his strategy against Fedor will be to trade a little bit and wrestle him down and keep him there.
Said he was absolutely shocked at the outcome of Silva v. Hendo, he thought Silva was going to win, but not by a submission.
Said he's very interested in fighting Big Nog, but no way in hell in the UFC.
Is coming out with 3 movies soon: Big Stan, Redbelt and Scorpion King 2.
I'll think of more important things he said, I'm brain dead atm.

Kim:
Her first fight last Sat was a Muay Thai "smoker" fight, nothing serious
Her real fight is in April or so, with an org. under Chael Sonnen
Says Gina almost never is in the gym training even when she has a fight coming up
Hasn't sparred Wanderlei.
Said most of Hughes' book was exaggerated and many of those who were there in the events in his book claimed things were blown way out of proportion.
Says Chuck's book was barely, BARELY written by Chuck at all.
Says Xtreme Couture clothing is doing great and so are the gyms. They are opening 3 more.
Fractured her wrist somehow.
Thinks Randy will demolish Big Nog and have a solid chance against Fedor.
Randy now has a ****l plate in his forearm similar to Tim Sylvia from the Gonzaga kick.
Said the Gonzaga head kick to him (the one that looked like it nearly killed him) was actually just a slap because Randy was moving his head away. (According to her and Randy) - it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked on TV.
Says Randy follows a diet, not too strict and his fore arm is healed and he's been back in the gym.
Really dislikes Dana White.
Not impressed by Big Nog's performances in the UFC at all.
Says Randy doesn't read Sherdog @ all, let alone know how to work a computer.
Says: "He only makes the news, doesn't care to read about it."
Says she absolutely loves Anderson Silva's fluidity and fighting style, and prefers stand-up herself.
Liked my necklace a lot :]
Says her and Randy live a calm life in Vegas, far from the strip, close to their gym.
Randy is coming out with his book and is waiting for everyone to release theirs. Has been working on his for nearly 2 years now and put a lot of time and effort in it. She says it will be a lot different from Hughes' and Liddell's books.
Likes to train for herself rather than money, fame, etc.

EDIT: Another thing she said which was very interesting, is they are trying to get Wanderlei away from the "bodybuilder - esque" workouts and more focused on circuits, etc.

***Also, the funniest thing she said was when I asked her opinion on Kimbo, she said at first she was a bit skeptical, but he came in one day to their gym in Vega and showed he had a very tough heart and trained hard. Also, him and Forrest sparred and he was KO'd by Forrest and he never came back again!

That's everything I can really think of now. I'm sure I'll think of more when my brain comes back to its senses...

Will post pics later I guess, so tired. All in all, event was incredible, Randy and Kim were so willing to talk to me and my bud because we had such knowledge of MMA and what was going on. Kim actually didn't like the whole people flooding Randy and all the media and came over to me and my friend to talk to us. Extremely sociable and awesome to talk to. Same with Randy.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=741031
silverbullet
3/4/08 1:45:35PM
I don't like how Randy ducked Big Nog. Fedor hasn't fought a world-class opponent in four years. Whenever they decide to fight, I won't be watching it.
Pookie
3/4/08 2:06:04PM

Posted by silverbullet

I don't like how Randy ducked Big Nog. Fedor hasn't fought a world-class opponent in four years. Whenever they decide to fight, I won't be watching it.

Fedor hasnt fought world-class competition in 1 year and 2 months
billycarnage
3/4/08 2:19:20PM

Posted by silverbullet

I don't think he ducked anybody. He had no reason to continue with the UFC. He wants Fedor and they couldn't get him so why waste his limited time on guys like BIG NOG where he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. He would own that fight. There's no doubt in my mind. I respect his decision and there seems to be a pattern here with UFC fighters. If it keeps up UFC could crumble.
I will see that fight thanks to mark cuban and the M-1 boys whoever they are.

Good post! Forrest and Kimbo that's hilarious!
silverbullet
3/4/08 2:22:39PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by silverbullet

Mark Hunt is 5-3 in MMA. I guess in Pride he was "world-class".

Other opponents Fedor faced since last Big Nog fight:
Hong-Man Choi - 1-1
Matt Lindland - wrong weight class
Mark Coleman - 41 at the time of the fight
Zuluzinho - 10-3
Mirko Filipovic - "legend" in Pride, see performance in the UFC
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka - 19-11

If you think that Randy-Fedor is the fight for #1 in the world you have to be kidding yourself.

slappywhite
3/4/08 2:23:07PM
does anyone really care what Kim Couture has to say?

silverbullet
3/4/08 2:24:33PM

Posted by slappywhite

does anyone really care what Kim Couture has to say?

don't you care that she SOMEHOW fractured her wrist?!
Pookie
3/4/08 2:29:59PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Pookie

Posted by silverbullet

Mark Hunt is 5-3 in MMA. I guess in Pride he was "world-class".

Other opponents Fedor faced since last Big Nog fight:
Hong-Man Choi - 1-1
Matt Lindland - wrong weight class
Mark Coleman - 41 at the time of the fight
Zuluzinho - 10-3
Mirko Filipovic - "legend" in Pride, see performance in the UFC
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka - 19-11

If you think that Randy-Fedor is the fight for #1 in the world you have to be kidding yourself.

I cant even argue with that type of logic, its a waste of time.
jae_1833
3/4/08 2:41:05PM
The real news here is that Forrest KOed Kimbo, that means that Rampage should really look out....may even change my picks.
Pookie
3/4/08 2:46:39PM
I don't believe it.

Why would you be sparring that hard in the first place? With a guest to the gym? If he was Ko'd he wouldnt have been able to fight for 2 months. Why would kimbo do that if hes truly "All about his bread"? He wouldn't... Not for free at least

And that must've been the hardest punch forrest has ever thrown. Because he doesnt have any real tko power at all, nonetheless KO power.

I call Shananigans.
Twenty20Dollars
3/4/08 3:23:47PM
this is weird
jiujitsufreak74
3/4/08 3:24:56PM

Posted by billycarnage

I don't think he ducked anybody. He had no reason to continue with the UFC. He wants Fedor and they couldn't get him so why waste his limited time on guys like BIG NOG where he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. He would own that fight. There's no doubt in my mind. I respect his decision and there seems to be a pattern here with UFC fighters. If it keeps up UFC could crumble.

to much randy nuthugging here for my logic to pierce through your ignorance barrier but i will leave my points in bullets so if you want to look at them feel free.

-He had a very good reason to continue with the UFC...the contract he was obligated to fulfill

-Big Nog is more then enough for Randy. He has defeated more top opponents then Randy has even faced. Big Nog has more of a legacy then Randy does and is a very dangerous fight for Couture.

-The UFC will not crumble for some time. Even without Randy it is by far the best MMA organization out there. So if Fedor and Randy fight it will be an interesting thing to watch but in no way will it crumble the UFC.

-To say you have no doubt in your ming that Randy would "own" Big Nog is just ludicrous. Big Nog has never been stopped and has never lost to people who weren't in the top 5 of the division (Fedor, Henderson and Barnett). the only fighter to ever "own" him was Fedor (both times by UD) as he avenged the other two losses. Big Nog has a really good chance to defeat Randy and to look past him speaks to the fact that you probably never watched him in PRIDE. Big Nog's legacy is bigger and better then Couture's and Couture has a lot to gain from beating Big Nog.

-The M-1 "boys" are just Fedor's management who have never set up an event by themselves. they are a leech organization that thrives through co-promotion by putting Fedor on a fight card and making it half there's. if anything they were the ones who prevented this fight to happen in the UFC so you should thank M-1 for that.

-And to finish my argument i will say this: how can you respect a guy for walking out of his contract, breaking his word and acting like a Pre-Madonna. blows me away how so many people still cling desperately to Randy's nuts even after he has done all of this. i let go in October and you should do the same.
jae_1833
3/4/08 3:34:00PM
Wow...I was trying to change the subject...however. Your very right on many things.
1 Nog would most likely beat Randy, at least on paper.
2 Nog has a better legacy, Randy has lost at least 1/3 of his fights.
3 Randy did commit a horrible sin when he went back on his deal with the UFC.

However, I can't blame just M-1 for the whole Randy-Fedor thing, Randy seems to be really pissed at the UFC! So I think they did knowingly do something to him that made him so, and they probably just figured he would deal with it like most fighters do. Lastly I think that xtreme couture really should make Wandy change up his training a little, but I'm talking about his hands...they hit hard but from a boxing perspective they are way sloppy!!
RMFG_187
3/4/08 4:04:33PM
WAR FORREST!
ufcboss
3/4/08 4:08:41PM
Good stuff ufc88.

I love that forrest Knocked out Kimbo, It probally didnt put him out cold, But dropped him enough for a finish i would say.

WAR FORREST!!!!!!!!!!!
Darnok
3/4/08 4:21:39PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

-The M-1 "boys" are just Fedor's management who have never set up an event by themselves. they are a leech organization that thrives through co-promotion by putting Fedor on a fight card and making it half there's. if anything they were the ones who prevented this fight to happen in the UFC so you should thank M-1 for that.

-And to finish my argument i will say this: how can you respect a guy for walking out of his contract, breaking his word and acting like a Pre-Madonna. blows me away how so many people still cling desperately to Randy's nuts even after he has done all of this. i let go in October and you should do the same.

These were my favourite comments.
gsquat
3/4/08 4:42:43PM
I really want to keep liking Randy, but he's making it hard for me.
Pookie
3/4/08 4:45:51PM
The fact that she said KO'd makes me not believe it for a second. You already know shes not telling you the truth.
billycarnage
3/4/08 4:46:12PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by billycarnage

to much randy nuthugging here for my logic to pierce through your ignorance barrier but i will leave my points in bullets so if you want to look at them feel free.

-He had a very good reason to continue with the UFC...the contract he was obligated to fulfill

-Big Nog is more then enough for Randy. He has defeated more top opponents then Randy has even faced. Big Nog has more of a legacy then Randy does and is a very dangerous fight for Couture.

-The UFC will not crumble for some time. Even without Randy it is by far the best MMA organization out there. So if Fedor and Randy fight it will be an interesting thing to watch but in no way will it crumble the UFC.

-To say you have no doubt in your ming that Randy would "own" Big Nog is just ludicrous. Big Nog has never been stopped and has never lost to people who weren't in the top 5 of the division (Fedor, Henderson and Barnett). the only fighter to ever "own" him was Fedor (both times by UD) as he avenged the other two losses. Big Nog has a really good chance to defeat Randy and to look past him speaks to the fact that you probably never watched him in PRIDE. Big Nog's legacy is bigger and better then Couture's and Couture has a lot to gain from beating Big Nog.

Here, I’ll use bullets so you can better understand.
• I didn’t say that HDNet is going to cause the UFC to crumble or M-1 for that matter. Dana always says that he wants only the best fighters in the UFC yet you got Fedor, Barnett, Linland to name a few who he doesn’t show any respect or interest in. But Brock Lesnar is somehow a big draw. As an MMA fan I don’t want to see Lesnar and Angle. I want to see legitimate contenders. With EliteXC and there CBS deal UFC will have to adjust. They aren’t the lone wolf anymore as far as the casual fight fan is concerned.
• I still wouldn’t agree that Nog’s got a bigger legacy. Who builds a legacy on being second best. Probably third in this case. That would mean Franklin is well on his way. The best loser?
• I think Nog matches up well but still give it to Randy.
• And you think this was all Randy going back on his word? Were you there? Did you sit in on the negotiations? Who the hell are you? If promises aren’t kept then deals are broken. Coture isn’t even my favorite fighter this is just the way I see it. And hell yeah I respect him. I respect what he does for the sport, the way he transforms fighters, the way everyone talks about him, the way he trains and fights.

This is coming from a Pride guy, Pride is where it all started for me.

Huggin' nuts?! That's dumb!
Darnok
3/4/08 4:52:00PM

Posted by gsquat

I really want to keep liking Randy, but he's making it hard for me.

Damn thats funny. But I agree I respected Randy so much but in the past couple of months all we have heard is whine whine whine. Sometimed I wonder if he knows he is over the hill and wants one last big payday.
jiujitsufreak74
3/4/08 5:05:43PM

Posted by billycarnage

• I didn’t say that HDNet is going to cause the UFC to crumble or M-1 for that matter. Dana always says that he wants only the best fighters in the UFC yet you got Fedor, Barnett, Linland to name a few who he doesn’t show any respect or interest in. But Brock Lesnar is somehow a big draw. As an MMA fan I don’t want to see Lesnar and Angle. I want to see legitimate contenders. With EliteXC and there CBS deal UFC will have to adjust. They aren’t the lone wolf anymore as far as the casual fight fan is concerned.
• I still wouldn’t agree that Nog’s got a bigger legacy. Who builds a legacy on being second best. Probably third in this case. That would mean Franklin is well on his way. The best loser?
• And you think this was all Randy going back on his word? Were you there? Did you sit in on the negotiations? Who the hell are you? If promises aren’t kept then deals are broken. Coture isn’t even my favorite fighter this is just the way I see it. And hell yeah I respect him. I respect what he does for the sport, the way he transforms fighters, the way everyone talks about him, the way he trains and fights.

you just proved you own ignorance further with this one

Randy having a legacy better then Nog's is one of the most nuthugging comments i have ever heard. 2nd best? you obviously did not watch PRIDE. he lost to fedor, who is the best mind you, and before that he was the top dog for a while. Randy has done nothing imo to solidify him as the best ever. since when does a win over big tim and a over hyped GG make you the best? since when does not having more then one consecutive title defense make you this unbelievable fighter? you claim to be a PRIDE guy yet you fail to recognize what Big Nog has done. really obscure to me. and also it seems you take the fighters side way too much. Lindland has been badmouthing the UFC for years. he has been notorious for it. Couture didn't follow his contract...what's there to not understand? it is plain and simple, he backed out of a legalized signed contract. it doesn't matter if i was there or not, the guy went back on a contract, that right there is undisputed proof that he went back against his word. the UFC couldn't sign Fedor for multiple reasons, one was for exclusive rights. what do you expect from a company? the negotiations with fighters are not all on the UFC, it is the fighters who are also to blame. and with a signed contract there is no negotiation. you do what you signed to do. end of story unless the UFC doesn't hold up its end which didn't happen. there was nothing in the contract about Fedor and Randy is taking the over hype he receives from fans who refuse to look beyond their small scope of MMA and inflated his head with it. i cannot respect him anymore after all he has done. i hope Fedor crushes him so he will wish he had fought Big Nog and lost there.
billycarnage
3/4/08 5:19:59PM
If you were in Randy's shoe's who would you rather fight Fedor or the guy Fedor beat twice?
It'll probably be his last.
quezocrema0032
3/4/08 5:27:57PM
I still wouldn’t agree that Nog’s got a bigger legacy. Who builds a legacy on being second best. Probably third in this case. That would mean Franklin is well on his way. The best loser?

completley agree ... big nog is great but his legacy is not bigger then randy coutures not even close yea he lost alot of fites but if he fites he would win by UD and he did what everyone expects he needs 2 fite fedor ... AND PEOPLE STOP HUGGING PRIDES NUTS !
telnights
3/4/08 7:13:38PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

I still wouldn’t agree that Nog’s got a bigger legacy. Who builds a legacy on being second best. Probably third in this case. That would mean Franklin is well on his way. The best loser?

completley agree ... big nog is great but his legacy is not bigger then randy coutures not even close yea he lost alot of fites but if he fites he would win by UD and he did what everyone expects he needs 2 fite fedor ... AND PEOPLE STOP HUGGING PRIDES NUTS !

When speaking of 2nd best you do know Randy was KNOCKED OUT twice by Chuck who is a LHW. Just thought I would point that out.
cmill21
3/4/08 7:25:47PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by quezocrema0032

When speaking of 2nd best you do know Randy was KNOCKED OUT twice by Chuck who is a LHW. Just thought I would point that out.

Agreed. Randy's accomplishments at HW are as follows: Maurice Smith, Randleman, Rizzo x2, Tim, and GG. Now for Nog's: Coleman(when he was feared), Herring x3, Schilt, Ricco(Randy was KO'd by him), Cro Cop(incredibly feared at the time), Kharitonov(IMO top 10), Nastula(Olympic Gold Medal), Werdum(top10 at least), Barney(top 5 on most lists), and Tim(who he finished). Now I'm sorry but if your comparing HW's here there is no comparison, I'm really sorry.
Pookie
3/4/08 7:47:21PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Posted by quezocrema0032

Agreed. Randy's accomplishments at HW are as follows: Maurice Smith, Randleman, Rizzo x2, Tim, and GG. Now for Nog's: Coleman(when he was feared), Herring x3, Schilt, Ricco(Randy was KO'd by him), Cro Cop(incredibly feared at the time), Kharitonov(IMO top 10), Nastula(Olympic Gold Medal), Werdum(top10 at least), Barney(top 5 on most lists), and Tim(who he finished). Now I'm sorry but if your comparing HW's here there is no comparison, I'm really sorry.

Can't argue with facts.
imanidiot777
3/4/08 8:31:10PM
I think after reading all these posts the argument for Nog's legacy is owning the argument for Randy. Randy should come take the Nog fight now and just hope he doesn't get injured too bad so that way he can fight Fedor later
Greene33
3/4/08 8:39:46PM

How can a so called Pride Guy not think Nog's Legacy is bigger? This is boggeling my mind right now, have you seen Pride between 01-03? He was a large favorite in the first Fedor fight and it was a surprise to many MMA fans that he lost. He has lost to 3 people. Fedor, Dan Henderson ( split decesion in 00 that could have honestly gone either way) and Barnett. Thats 3 big name quality top 5 fighters that he has only lost decision's too... Couture has lost too Enson Inoue (who nog beat) Mikhail Illoukhine, Overeem (who nog beat) Barnett (finished randy but not nog) Ricco ( who Nog beat) Vitor (same) and finally has been KO'd twice by a LHW.
Randy couldn't finish Tim, Nog Choked him out. I just cant understand the logic behind your statements.Your a Pride guy that thinks Randy's legecy is bigger, you must be high to speak such blasphemy!
Pookie
3/4/08 8:51:12PM

Posted by Greene33

How can a so called Pride Guy not think Nog's Legacy is bigger? This is boggeling my mind right now, have you seen Pride between 01-03? He was a large favorite in the first Fedor fight and it was a surprise to many MMA fans that he lost. He has lost to 3 people. Fedor, Dan Henderson ( split decesion in 00 that could have honestly gone either way) and Barnett. Thats 3 big name quality top 5 fighters that he has only lost decision's too... Couture has lost too Enson Inoue (who nog beat) Mikhail Illoukhine, Overeem (who nog beat) Barnett (finished randy but not nog) Ricco ( who Nog beat) Vitor (same) and finally has been KO'd twice by a LHW.
Randy couldn't finish Tim, Nog Choked him out. I just cant understand the logic behind your statements.Your a Pride guy that thinks Randy's legecy is bigger, you must be high to speak such blasphemy!

That was awesome. Keep up the good work
silverbullet
3/4/08 8:55:20PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by quezocrema0032

Thank you
Pages: [1] 2