What part to MMA do you enjoy to train most?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What part to MMA do you enjoy to train most?
POLL: What is your favorite aspect to train?
BJJ 43% (13)
Wrestling 10% (3)
Striking 43% (13)
None 3% (1)
Pitbull09
12/11/08 1:20:56AM
So I have been training sub grappling 6 months now and we just got more padding to allow the walls to be covered. It's really nice now cause there is much more room and we can pratice takedowns. During my last class I felt so good after a week of praticing my double and high cross by executing it fairly well (enough to get the guy down.) While doing drill against the wall, I enjoyed clinching to either defend or takedown my opponent as well.
To make my point, the wrestling game getting added into our class remotivated me and even made BJJ more exciting to me when it's put together. My question, is out of all your training, what is your favorite aspect to train?

I personally am going to say wrestling right now as I havn;t even begun any training for any striking style.
postman
12/11/08 4:11:38AM
You Train With Brad and Casey Right? I have days where I like one more then the other but it is all too fun for me>
4u2nv
12/11/08 9:37:08AM
Well i hate to do the debbie downer but I'm honeslty losing faith in my training. I've been doin it for over a year 4-6 times a week 2-3+ a day. I go to the gym 6-7 times a week both aerobic and anerobic needs. And i just feel like im not learning anything or not doin any better. I'm thinking maybe its my gym or maybe its just me but idk... i used to enjoy BJJ the most but i haven't progressed at all. I used to like muay thai but its the same thing over and over! Sparring and live rolling is okay but I still suck... so idk... okay my rant is over sorry.

If anything i like training Sparring the most.
The-Don
12/11/08 11:08:04AM

Posted by 4u2nv

Well i hate to do the debbie downer but I'm honeslty losing faith in my training. I've been doin it for over a year 4-6 times a week 2-3+ a day. I go to the gym 6-7 times a week both aerobic and anerobic needs. And i just feel like im not learning anything or not doin any better. I'm thinking maybe its my gym or maybe its just me but idk... i used to enjoy BJJ the most but i haven't progressed at all. I used to like muay thai but its the same thing over and over! Sparring and live rolling is okay but I still suck... so idk... okay my rant is over sorry.

My first suggestion to that is talk to your trainers.. let them know how you feel.. If you have not competed in anything yet do so, so you can get a real gage of what you know. it may just come down to you need a new place to train. I luck out where I train, while it is mainly BJJ, Our instructor has a ton of people to pull from for training and such, from Jake Shileds, to the Diaz brothers, Royler Gracie, David Adiv and others.. If your instructors are having a hard time challenging you ask them to use thier connections to come up with new ways to challenge you and help push you further. if you trust your instructors leave only as a last resort. But if you do not talk to them and let them know how your feeling they can't help you. Example. in my school most of us are pretty weak in cardio so I brought this up with my instructor.. He contacted Vitor and got a program from him that not only pushes your cardio but helps reenforce your BJJ skills in the process and it is Brutal.
wiggum
12/11/08 11:23:33AM
well coming into combat sports years ago i was doing boxing and kickboxing....and i loved it...then i started training grappling a few years ago and then started combining the both for mma.......in the recent months we have started really training rubber guard and i love it...so right now id say bjj is my fav......but pretty much anything i learn new is my favorite part
aaa9erh8er
12/11/08 11:55:05AM
i like sparing as much as the next guy but when we hit the ground thats my spot if you will. im a ground fighter almost 12 years wrestling now 4 BJJ. anything on the ground is my favortie
artofdefense
12/11/08 12:35:54PM
My favorite times in training is when we get some time to try some more creative set ups and moves.

I like when we get to train everything at the same time the best, but for all intents and purposes I have more fun hitting people than submitting them.
Pitbull09
12/11/08 4:23:02PM

Posted by postman

You Train With Brad and Casey Right? I have days where I like one more then the other but it is all too fun for me>

Yea, pretty much just with Brad cause I only do submission grappling but I got to meet Casey for two classes.
Jackelope
12/11/08 4:34:32PM
I mostly enjoy BJJ off my back, I guess. A lot of times I'll let guys sweep me just so I get to work my guard a little bit. LOL it's not the greatest idea in a JJ competition, but in training it is something I really enjoy.

I also love hitting focus mitts.

I dunno, guess I'm weird
Pitbull09
12/11/08 11:52:46PM

Posted by Jackelope

I mostly enjoy BJJ off my back, I guess. A lot of times I'll let guys sweep me just so I get to work my guard a little bit. LOL it's not the greatest idea in a JJ competition, but in training it is something I really enjoy.

I also love hitting focus mitts.

I dunno, guess I'm weird

I like guard usually more than side control at times. I feel like I have more options on my back, especially when Im taken down, I feel like I have a brief moment to get a good guard or rubber guard before the guy is finished taking me down.
Wolfenstein
12/12/08 12:14:17AM
BJJ without a doubt. I love grappling because you're always learning, always discovering new techniques while you're rolling. Lately I've been working on my half guard. A lot of the time I switch from full guard to half guard as I find it's easier to sweep, and opens up a lot of options to transition to submissions. I can go into an octopus guard and take the back, I can grab his foot in the lockdown and roll him into a calf slicer etc. I like the chessmatches, and outwitting your opponent.

While I enjoy muay thai, and I don't mind being hit (it just gets me more fired up) I have to admit it's not my strength, and I've gotten owned my share of times. It's just one of those things I guess, where I'm frustrated I'm not dominating. As I progress I'll start enjoying it more.

derekcalado
12/14/08 9:17:42PM

Posted by 4u2nv

if you train that much and aren't getting better go to a higher level gym. that or your lacking some serious athletic ability. second of all if you think its the same old thing week in and week out you are probably lacking the heart of an actual MMA fighter. the only thing i agree with is that live sparring is definately the best
CCPRIDE99
12/18/08 6:51:00PM
i like bjj but thats probably because i submit everyone ive ever trained with
The_Ho_Bag
12/18/08 9:10:17PM
I love BJJ but im very bias towards Striking i was trained in KB for 2-3 years and i love kicking peoples head in =) im like andy Hug ahaha
lochie
12/18/08 9:12:22PM
i enjoy BJJ the most
Aaronno9
12/18/08 11:08:42PM
I just love to wrestle for some reason. Pretty rare to find any other wrestlers in the U.K though so i dont get to practice to much
haggiswashere
12/18/08 11:37:27PM

Posted by Aaronno9

I just love to wrestle for some reason. Pretty rare to find any other wrestlers in the U.K though so i dont get to practice to much

If you like training to knock someones jaw clean of there face you could always train with paul taylor