NY MMA bill clears Senate committee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » NY MMA bill clears Senate committee
emfleek
2/14/12 11:22:22AM
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today applauded the Senate’s Committee on Cultural Affairs, Tourism, Parks and Recreation for approving S.1707A, which would authorize the New York State Athletic Commission to add Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) to the list of contact sports that may hold matches and exhibitions in New York, and sending the bill to the Committee on Commerce, Economic Development and Small Business for consideration.

"New York is one of only three states that does not allow professional MMA events to take place within its borders,” UFC Chairman & CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said. “It’s unfair to the millions of UFC fans in New York who want to see matches in person without having to travel out of state, and we hope this is the first step in legalizing MMA in New York in 2012. Mixed Martial Arts is the fastest growing sport in history – both in fans and in participants. There are literally hundreds of MMA schools and training facilities in New York, and the UFC has contributed to economic development and job creation in scores of communities around the country and across the world.”

LINK
BuffaloDave
2/14/12 11:29:18AM
Not getting my hopes up just yet, it has passed this phase before..
Budgellism
2/14/12 11:48:49AM
Come on NY, get your shit together. I'd be able to go to New York events. Only a few hours away.

And when I say a few hours I mean almost 10
ncordless
2/14/12 2:22:15PM
Meh.

The obstacle is in the Assembly. Bob Reilly holds power there, and has made it his personal crusade to keep MMA out of NY. Whether NY gets MMA depends on whether it can make it through the assembly, and that is not at all certain. Reilly tells the speaker not to bring it to the floor, the bill never gets voted on.

Not sure if this is good news or bad, but Reilly has been very quiet about mma lately. It could either mean he is not as zealous about it, or it could mean that he is gonna kill it and doesn't want all the trolling that happens to him when he does.