MMA vs Boxing Toe to Toe!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA vs Boxing Toe to Toe!!!!
Trapt1nw0nder
6/21/07 12:21:25AM
MMA vs BOXING DEBATE (good read IMO)

As you all may know by now,i am a huge boxing fan,and its my all time favorite sport,so this debate here wont change the way i look at things

they both have alot of good points,but i have to agree that the best fights Boxing has to offer are much more entertaining than the best MMA has to offer IMO.

and i disagree with the MMA guy saying that Cotto vs Judah was a one sided beating,and that might as well see Cotto punch on a punching bag........but,Sure Cotto was beating the hell out of Judah,but Judah was in the fight the whole way,and could of KO'd Cotto at any moment if he connected with that left hook.....and knowing this is what made that fight so exciting while watching it!

There have been so many great boxing fights recently,but alot of people didnt see them because not every boxer has the big names that make casual fans watch.

the only thing wrong with boxing is the promotions,and not getting the fights we want to see all the time...but i still think we are getting alot of good ones though.
tam0k0
6/21/07 4:19:47AM
There is an interview with Dana in Fighters Only magazine I believe about this very topic. A match has been spoken about with an MMA fighter and a Boxer, sorry name escape me right now. However the first Boxer approached agreed, mouthed off and backed down but another guy is willing to take on the challenge due to a wrestling background. Can anyone fill in the blanks, names poss dates etc?
Signal2112
6/21/07 6:53:51AM
Oh, not this again.
fatdevil1982
6/21/07 7:56:27AM
ufc 4 melton bowen

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=005116

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&FighterID=51

ufc 1 art jimmerson (the guy with one glove)

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&FighterID=20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Jimmerson

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=002044

after 93 he went all down hill, thats funny

cincyassasin
6/21/07 8:42:56AM
Boxing is the sport of punching....MMA is the sport of fighting, there's really nothing to compare, as much as this topic is debated you'd think people would understand. I'm a fighter myself (MMA) and as much as I know a boxer can't hang in MMA due to all the other techniques involved, most MMA fighters would not fair too well in boxing because you take those techniques away. Two different sports people it's kinda like comparring football and track sure they both run but just cause a guy is fast doesn't mean he'd be able to catch or break tackles and so on......
Mastodon2
6/21/07 9:01:05AM
Hockensmith wins with for MMA, he put Sturby on the back foot straight away and Sturby was just trying to keep his head above the flood after that. Hockensmith made some very pertinant points - MMA is just better, its that simple.
babalu2720
6/21/07 9:35:13AM

Posted by cincyassasin

Boxing is the sport of punching....MMA is the sport of fighting, there's really nothing to compare, as much as this topic is debated you'd think people would understand. I'm a fighter myself (MMA) and as much as I know a boxer can't hang in MMA due to all the other techniques involved, most MMA fighters would not fair too well in boxing because you take those techniques away. Two different sports people it's kinda like comparring football and track sure they both run but just cause a guy is fast doesn't mean he'd be able to catch or break tackles and so on......

I agree fully with him you cant compare apples and oranges. Their both good sports, but i do like MMA better.
Trapt1nw0nder
6/21/07 4:58:33PM
trust me...i love them both almost equally,but boxing just has this special place in my heart so it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when i watch it.....it comes from my happy place

Thank god i have DVR because it would really be hard to choose whether to watch BJ Penn vs Jens Pulver,or J.L. Castillo vs Ricky Hatton which both air at the same time.....

and this debate isnt really on who are the better fighter,but which sport is more entertaining....so this isnt an apples and oranges topic
hippysmacker
6/21/07 6:22:51PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

trust me...i love them both almost equally,but boxing just has this special place in my heart so it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when i watch it.....it comes from my happy place

Thank god i have DVR because it would really be hard to choose whether to watch BJ Penn vs Jens Pulver,or J.L. Castillo vs Ricky Hatton which both air at the same time.....

and this debate isnt really on who are the better fighter,but which sport is more entertaining....so this isnt an apples and oranges topic

Didn't find the aricle that good, the boxing guy didn't know enough about MMA IMO, to make it an actual debate. I am also a boxing fan since I was a kid, and I'm 35 now, so I have ssen a lot of great PPV's, Hbo and Showtime cards, espn cards, Espn classic shows, and even the Leonard/Hearns fight on close circuit TV. Still, I wouldn't put boxing but 5th on my favorites now being football. MMA, baseball, and basketball. Boxing is not what it was to me a even 5 years ago, It used to be #2 right behind football on my list. I had hoped DelaHoya /Mayweather could have saved the day, but I was sorely dissapointed in this fight. DelaHoya could have won to me if had kept using his jab.The Mayweather/Winkie wright type fighter's bore me. It's like watching a really young Tito LnP a to a decision or Salaverry run from Marquardt. I had seen Mayweather many times ,and knew he was a counter fighter with great defense, but I really thought he would try to finish this fight instead of just outpointing a decision. It was to be his retirement fight, and a exciting fight, could have done a lot for boxing's future. Unfortunately IMO Floyd chose to just play it safe and go for the decision.. If that fight had been a war like Pavlik/Miranda I would feel better about boxings future. I had thought Taylor was the next great boxing champ, but after his last uninspiring performance, I hope the ghost brutally Ko's him.
danny81
6/21/07 7:55:25PM
the boxer who backed down was floyd mayweather. and the one who is going to fight with the wrestling background is oscar clintron. anyway what people dont understand is that great boxers wouldnt do MMA becaus instead of maing 200thousand a fight(at absolute best) they are making millions. besides tyson would do amazing in MMA
Trapt1nw0nder
6/21/07 9:15:50PM

Posted by danny81

the boxer who backed down was floyd mayweather. and the one who is going to fight with the wrestling background is oscar clintron. anyway what people dont understand is that great boxers wouldnt do MMA becaus instead of maing 200thousand a fight(at absolute best) they are making millions. besides tyson would do amazing in MMA

Its Kermit Cintron

-------------

...and to Hippy..

you have some good points,but IMO i think De La Hoya/Mayweather was an entertaining fight while seeing it live...of course you can rewatch it after you know what happened and say "ohh...they didnt do anything to eachother"..but all i know is that i was tensed up everytime DLH flurried because i knew that 1 solid left hook could end the show...and Mayweather did land alot of shots,but there is no way he's gonna drop DLH even if he tried,DLH has one of the best chins in the game....as for Jermain Taylor..all i could say is "Styles make fights" because obviously Spinks did not want to engage with Taylor(or with anyone in fact)......but if you saw Taylor/Wright you would know that if Taylor fights someone just as agressive he will put on a show!...if Taylor fights Pavlik im sure we will see the true JT of old and witness a war!

you could say the same about MMA....whats up with Franklin/Okami?...Arlovski/Werdum?..Sylvia/Monson? Sanchez/Koscheck?

the thing with Boxing critics is that they only expect big name fighters to "save the sport",but same as MMA the most entertaining fight are put on by up and comers like Pavlik/Miranda,Marquez/Barrera,R.Marquez/I.Vazquez,Diaz/Freitas,Jhonny Gonzalez/I.Vazquez...but most people dont know who the hell they are so they are just nobodies kicking eachothers asses
loller90278
6/22/07 3:08:55AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

castillos way too old and past his prime, and hattons gonna make a fool out of him. i might be totally wrong cuz its late and i know limited boxing knowledge. but i think thats correct? the only ppv i'd buy for boxing right now is that itallain guy.. his name escapes me.. something with an M i believe
phvcx_1337
6/22/07 11:17:12AM
all of the mma fighters that don't have any boxing background are scared of getting hit. I too am a boxing fan and i feel that if a boxer and a mma fighter were to get in a ring together that the boxer would come out on his own power and that the other guy would be helped. Look at it this way if a man can knock someone out with 12 or 16 oz gloves imagine what he can do with only 4 oz in between his fist and the other guys face. Also all those knock outs in boxing come from them hitting each other while standing and if a boxer knocked a mma fighter down and knew he was hurt they would kill them because the ref wouldn't be able to get over there fast enough before the boxer could unleash a fury of punches into the other guys skull.
Ultimate_fighter
6/22/07 4:01:24PM
Boxers aren't used to getting punched with 4 ounced gloves.
BigTomZ
6/23/07 6:15:29PM
For starters those big boxing gloves allow you to protect yourself better and alot easier. You can also take a little more risk offensively with those big gloves. Boxers don't learn things necessary in MMA. Their boxing skills would help in terms of punching and footwork, but there is much more to MMA than that. They don't know how to avoid takedowns, avoid kicks, work in the clinch, get up from their back, avoid submissions, use leverage on the ground, etc.

Against a grappler I could see a boxer on the ground and either submitted or pounded out very quickly. Against a striker I could see a boxer getting abused by leg and body kicks and getting dominated in the clinch.

To be honest boxing is in no position to talk about being better. Offers for MMA fights have been put out there, and never accepted. I wonder why.
phvcx_1337
7/21/07 11:15:46AM
Actually a fighter did try to take a fight, but Dana was a bitch and wouldn't offer that fight over to Kermit Cintron. Instead he just talk about how big a bitch Floyd Mayweather was.
backalley101
7/21/07 7:43:38PM
boxing sucks mma alot better