mma books?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » mma books?
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 9:51:57AM
what are some good mma books that ppl have know of. i got the jens pulver book never coming and after that i think i'm going to get bj penns. tell me how you like them if you got them or name some other ones that i should read after. thanks for the help.
Rush
7/20/07 10:42:22AM
Penn's is pretty good. I am 20% through it and it seems pretty basic, which is a good thing. It's written very conversationally too so it's easy to read through.
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 10:59:19AM
what is it all about for the most part. what doues he talk about in it?
NME
7/20/07 11:19:48AM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

what is it all about for the most part. what doues he talk about in it?

He shows, with full color pictures (and many alternate angles) many techniques, from striking to grappling, fighting from your guard to in someone's guard, how to avoid a takedown and how to take someone down, and so on and so forth.

He also discusses how he got into MMA, from his days boxing with his friends and basically being forced into trying jiu jitsu.
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 11:30:19AM
thanks sounds liek it has abit of everything in it. i can't wait to get it. to bad i don't read more but this might make me get done the book i'm on right now and then the jens one. so any other good books that you guys know of.
thepunisher
7/20/07 11:34:34AM
The big book of combat is good
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 11:57:54AM
yeah i just looked those up they look crazy maybe a little to much for me. what do you guys think of shamrocks book is that one anygood. i'm not a fan of ken so i don't think i would ever get that one but i can't wati for tank to come out with his book that i herd he is working on.
thepunisher
7/20/07 12:15:02PM
You are talking about Biographies about fighters and not training manuals about mma
szucconi
7/20/07 12:20:30PM
You can get BJ's book and Randy Couture's new book in a package deal from Amazon. I would do that if I bought books (I work for a book company so I get them direct from suppliers).

Randy's book is not out yet. It comes out on 8/15.

HERE
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 12:36:58PM
i'm talking about both. jsut seeing whats out there and what is good and whats not. i have down loaded bas's workout tapes before so i got a idea of what his book it about i think. randys book should be a good read.
waylon_o
7/20/07 12:42:25PM
A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan was pretty good. He goes to Thailand and trains, he trains with Militech, he goes to Brazil and trains with Minatauro and goes to Japan with him for his Fedor fight...good book. No Holds Barred by Clyde Gentry was EXCELLENT. It is a VERY complete history of MMA, starting with the old Greek Olympics Pancrase competitions right down to the present day UFC. Talks about a few thrown fights in the early UFCs and everything. GET THIS BOOK. Lion's Den by Ken Shamrock was alright...I guess it all depends on your view of Shammy.
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 12:49:06PM

Posted by szucconi

You can get BJ's book and Randy Couture's new book in a package deal from Amazon. I would do that if I bought books (I work for a book company so I get them direct from suppliers).

Randy's book is not out yet. It comes out on 8/15.

HERE

thanks i'm going to have to hit that deal up forsure you know what randys book is about?
szucconi
7/20/07 12:58:10PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

thanks i'm going to have to hit that deal up forsure you know what randys book is about?

Its basic overall techniques in Randy's fighting system. From wrestling, boxing, and jiu-jitsu to nutrition, cardio workouts, and creating fight game plans. There are two Muay Thai fighters as co-authors. I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to get an early copy. I will let you know when I get it.
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 12:58:14PM

Posted by waylon_o

A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan was pretty good. He goes to Thailand and trains, he trains with Militech, he goes to Brazil and trains with Minatauro and goes to Japan with him for his Fedor fight...good book. No Holds Barred by Clyde Gentry was EXCELLENT. It is a VERY complete history of MMA, starting with the old Greek Olympics Pancrase competitions right down to the present day UFC. Talks about a few thrown fights in the early UFCs and everything. GET THIS BOOK. Lion's Den by Ken Shamrock was alright...I guess it all depends on your view of Shammy.

no holds barred sounds real good too i think i'm going to have to read more now haha.
waylon_o
7/20/07 1:15:18PM
No Holds Barred is extremely detailed...one of the better books I've ever read, and I read A LOT
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 1:19:56PM

Posted by waylon_o

No Holds Barred is extremely detailed...one of the better books I've ever read, and I read A LOT

i think i might have to get that one fefor bj and randys book now. i'm on the road to hell what is about the hell angles in canada then i jsut orders jens book the other day so thats my next then i think i will have to go to that one now. any one eles herd about tanks book he is working on it sounds great liek it has alot of old stories
waylon_o
7/20/07 1:23:45PM
I didn't know Tank was writing a book...but he does have a History degree so he's not stupid.
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 1:24:49PM
i herd him and the guys at sherdog talking about it on the beatdown one time
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 2:02:40PM
i looked up no hold barred and i found two of them one just "no holds barred" and one called"No Holds Barred : Ultimate Fighting and the Martial Arts Revolution" are they the same book and the second one is jsut a reprint with soem new stuff added to it?
waylon_o
7/20/07 2:52:03PM
Ultimate fighting and the martial arts revolution is the one I have. It has Chuck Lidell on the cover of it
nellyhiphophead
7/20/07 2:53:37PM
ok cool yeha i saw them both on some websight
Bass
7/20/07 5:45:12PM
Agreed on the fighters haeart and no hold barred. two great books on fighting. no holds barred is a good book on the history of the sport, how it started and how it got to where it is today. its a pretty good read. a fighters heart is pretty much a biography about this one guy who tries to find reasons and answers why he is so hooked on fighting and training, and why other people fight for a living. this is another very interesting book, he explores all aspects of fighting and martial arts, from boxing to bjj, to tai chi and meditation, even looks into dog fighting and cock fighting. this guy has lived a crazy and very interesting life.