MMA Books

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » MMA Books
wiggum
8/5/08 1:03:24PM
something like this might have been posted before...but i cant find it....anyways....a couple of my buddies are seperating from theyre gym and like so many others, venturing off to start theyre own gym....they both came in with wrestling backgrounds but as far as every other aspect of the game, they only know what they have learned at theyre old gym and they want to pick up some books to learn other techniques that they can apply to theyre new gym, keep around to broaden the horizon and help teach new students/fighters with........a few of the books they are looking at are:

1. bas rutten big book combat
2. wrestling for fighting, randy couture
3. book of knowlege, bj penn
4. judo for fighting, karo paryisian
5. muay thai unleased, eric krauss
6. mastering ju jitsu, carlson gracie

does anybody have any thoughts or reviews of these books?...or as well as any other suggestions of books to pick up?...they are primarily looking at recent books with techniques that apply now and not in the late 90's, even tho i think the bas rutten book is somewhat old....they can be mma or they can be particular style it doenst matter.
mrsmiley
8/5/08 2:59:10PM
Well I can tell you this,I haven't read the big books of combat,but I personaly own the big dvd's of combat and they are simply amazing.
A buddy of mine who trains at an mma gym borrowed them and brought them in one night for everyone to take a look at.They all loved it.
Rush
8/5/08 3:12:25PM
Books "teaching" MMA, like instructional videos are great to supplement an experienced trainee (or trainer), but are no substitute for real hands on teaching regime, from an actual person. That is, books and videos are great for combos and integrating techniques that you already know well, but not to learn things from scratch.

So my answer would be that they are fine for having around for reference, but you could run into problems with inexperienced trainees (or trainers) trying things that they "learned" from the book, which most often results in either someone getting hurt and/or people not learning the important subtleties of the technique (which most people have a hard enough time getting from a real teacher)
NewGuy
8/5/08 3:17:50PM
I own a copy of Couture’s book Wrestling for Fighting. I don’t train MMA, but as a police officer I have started to learn offensive wrestling techniques that I can use on the street. The Book is easy to understand and utilizes step by step pictures. Again I am not sure how good of an MMA training book it is, but for me it is making me more confident in defending myself if someone attacks me.
__LAL__
8/5/08 7:15:07PM
Just out of interest has anyone read Made in America by Matt Hughes? Im a fan of Hughes and i might buy it (if its worth a read).....
The-Don
8/6/08 1:39:37PM
I'll mention it again... Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu by Dave Camarillo... It is best if you have a basic Judo and Jujitsu background.. but there are some training exercises in the begining I highly recomend for everyone at all levels.. involving hot to take falls and roll properly.. its like day one Judo stuff that is important through out ones training..
johnnybravo
8/7/08 11:51:55AM
Book of knowledge by BJ Penn is great, has multiple pictures at different angles for the same move so you understand exactly what he's talking about.

bell9440
8/7/08 6:34:09PM
I would add Eddie Bravo's books to the list.I think he does a good job of explaining his techniques.
HMA123
8/7/08 6:53:37PM
I own or have read books #2,3,4,5..
Books i would suggest out of that category. Wrestling for fighting and Muay Thai unleashed.
Both great books.
BJ penns book pretty much covers EVERYTHING a beginner should know. Every basic technique and proper stuff you could see. IMO not really a book for anyone thats advanced.
Judo for fighting -- Its a pretty good book, i haven't realy got a chance to sit down and read it or anything but they have it a my local book store and i usually just skim through it.

Eddie books are great. IMO alot of his techniques are impossible to get while grappling in action. Dont get me wrong, there is loads of great stuff in his arsenal, but some of the techniques you could never pull off on somebody on your level or better.
The-Don
8/8/08 1:48:59PM

Posted by HMA123

I own or have read books #2,3,4,5..
Books i would suggest out of that category. Wrestling for fighting and Muay Thai unleashed.
Both great books.
BJ penns book pretty much covers EVERYTHING a beginner should know. Every basic technique and proper stuff you could see. IMO not really a book for anyone thats advanced.
Judo for fighting -- Its a pretty good book, i haven't realy got a chance to sit down and read it or anything but they have it a my local book store and i usually just skim through it.

Eddie books are great. IMO alot of his techniques are impossible to get while grappling in action. Dont get me wrong, there is loads of great stuff in his arsenal, but some of the techniques you could never pull off on somebody on your level or better.

I've read through alot of Eddies books at the store and put them back on the shelf.. I meran nothing against them.. but I'm 6'2 and will compete at 265... I just cannot physically bring my heel to my forehead to do half those rubber gaurd moves.. I wish I could cause it would make me incredible, I have never seen a HW pull a rubber gaurd.. and I know I can't so half the stuff in his books are useless to me... I still skim through them just so I am familiar with the moves... but thats why I like the Guerrilla Juijitsu book it more realistic for me and most people
wiggum
8/8/08 2:30:17PM
does anybody have any thoughts on the marcelo garcia book "the x-guard"?
HMA123
8/8/08 10:59:30PM

Posted by wiggum

does anybody have any thoughts on the marcelo garcia book "the x-guard"?

I also own that ( yes i invest in ALOT of books )
It could go either way in experience
Pros
- Learn everything about butterfly guard and X guard
- Learn something new such as X guard
- Learn about a legend..
Cons:
- X guard could also be a bit complicated (setups to X guard,proper control,etc)
- Submissions some people dont need to know such as a Omoplata from butterfly guard.. And a few more

Overall its a decent book.. Both GI and NO GI.. IMO it favors more towards GI.. But dont get me wrong its a good book.