Inside MMA Poll, Which is the biggest upset so far in 2009?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Inside MMA Poll, Which is the biggest upset so far in 2009?
POLL: Which is the biggest upset so far in 2009?
Brian Bowles def. Miguel Torres at WEC 42 21% (11)
Brett Rogers def. Andrei Arlovski at Strikeforce 12% (6)
Frankie Edgar def. Sean Sherk at UFC 98 6% (3)
Joe Warren def. "Kid" Yamamoto at DREAM.9 23% (12)
Paulo Thiago def. Josh Koscheck at UFC 95 12% (6)
Ray Mercer def. Tim Sylvia at Adrenaline MMA III 27% (14)
mentalcase
9/11/09 3:13:51AM
MMAjunkie.com/"Inside MMA" Poll
Khaos
9/11/09 3:33:37AM
I think it has to be Mercer vs Sylvia, I mean almost no one thought Tim would lose (Though many hoped) and for him to be KO'ed by boxer past his prime. He went from Top 10 HW to a fighter no one but his friends will book. I mean it's sad when you're a champ, and the company your were in says the no longer have interest in you. It's the biggest upset and has has the worst repercutions of them all.
Drudinh
9/11/09 6:25:39AM

Posted by Khaos

I think it has to be Mercer vs Sylvia, I mean almost no one thought Tim would lose (Though many hoped) and for him to be KO'ed by boxer past his prime. He went from Top 10 HW to a fighter no one but his friends will book. I mean it's sad when you're a champ, and the company your were in says the no longer have interest in you. It's the biggest upset and has has the worst repercutions of them all.

Mercer is way past prime. It is a cold slap at MMA that an ex-champ of mma's top org would get knocked out cold instantly. I think is the biggest upset to date even if fans didn't want big Tim to win.
cowcatcher
9/11/09 9:54:18AM
easily timmeh losing to mercer, with warren coming in a distant second.
PABLOMAFIOSO
9/11/09 12:08:17PM
Who predicted Paulo Thiago would KO Koscheck? Can't believe more people haven't picked this
Tim Sylvia (strolling in at 300lbs +) getting KO'd by an ex boxing champ is not such a surprise IMO. Mercer was always going to outstrike a lazy range fighter like Sylvia, the only shock was the time on the clock.
Twenty20Dollars
9/11/09 12:14:24PM
I said bowles over torres because torres looked unstoppable coming into that fight and then to go down in the first aswell.
Rabi
9/11/09 2:41:41PM
I was there the night Thiago ko'd Koshcheck and it was shocking, but my vote goes to Rogers destroying Arlovski. I was amazed.
Tseka
9/13/09 9:21:40PM
Tim Sylvia being dropped in less than a minute was the biggest upset this year, but on paper it really should have been expected(all Tim can do is stand).

If you take it with that kind of grain of salt, then Arlovski-Rogers was the biggest upset since stylistically, Rogers should have stood a chance.