How did you get into MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How did you get into MMA?
Infused
7/5/07 12:12:40AM
So how did you orignally end up getting into MMA?

For me it was late 2005/early 2006 and my friend who was just starting to get into it as well introduced me to it and I got hooked instantly. Since then I've been watching as much MMA as I can, whether it's PPV, free, or on the net.
richieb19
7/5/07 12:18:24AM
Renting UFC 8 and 9on VHS.
edge0125
7/5/07 12:28:24AM
TUF 1
Ultimate_fighter
7/5/07 1:30:05AM
I got into MMA, by flippin the channel and watching Tito destory Shamrock... good fight...
FeelTheJoy
7/5/07 1:41:08AM
i got into it when i was 14. i was at my friends house one night and he was watching ultimate fighter. after that i watched every episode and now i have almost watched every ufc since then
ultimatefighter33
7/5/07 2:00:36AM
well when i was 8 i rented ufc 4 cuz i thought it was another form of wrestling so i didnt care not until i was 19 thats when i bought ufc 43 meltdown thats when i really got into it and it just took over me mixed martial arts is the very best sport in the world and maybe 1 day it could be made into an olympic sport
nWo
7/5/07 5:33:42AM
i ve seen em all
been watching since the first ufc
and
first pride 7 yrs later
2000 rickson x funaki
prolly since you were all still peeing your beds
Aether
7/5/07 6:17:12AM
I remember watching the first few UFCs on VHS when I was incredibly young. I didn't get heavy into it until a little later in life but that's where it all began.
InkedUp
7/5/07 7:18:00AM
Firs time I ever heard of the UFC was when it came here to Charlotte NC and we had like protest outside it. Ever since then ,I've been hooked.
ButterBalls
7/5/07 11:05:28AM

Posted by Aether

I remember watching the first few UFCs on VHS when I was incredibly young. I didn't get heavy into it until a little later in life but that's where it all began.

same here
DoTheMMAth
7/5/07 11:23:38AM

Posted by Aether

Same here... my parents were very strict-type people and I had to sneak to the video rental store and watch them when I no one else was around ( I was 16 at the time)
DJDark41
7/5/07 12:27:10PM
September 23rd, 2006. UFC 63. My friend(MattHughesFan)was talking about it, and he asked if I wanted to come over and watch it, so I was just like, "Eh, it can't be too bad, watching two guys smack each other around." And of course, seeing as he wanted Matt Hughes to win, I picked BJ Penn. But, that PPV started MMA for me, and I think I've missed 1 or 2 fight cards since then.
ko-kbo130
7/5/07 12:31:26PM
maybe 5 years ago my dads friend came to my house with a tape of a pride event. watched one fight and havent stopped since.
Rush
7/5/07 1:05:16PM
Since UFC 1. I had to get UFC 1 and 2 on VHS to watch, but the rest were watched live, until they stopped putting them on ppv.
AintRite
7/5/07 1:27:37PM
I bought UFC 2 when it came out not knowing what it was.... Now I own very UFC that's been on and have about 95% of the Pride. So I've pretty much been with since the begining.
Manfred
7/5/07 1:53:14PM
I was deployed in Turkey in the mid-90's when some guy in our unit brought in some videos of some little guy beating all these huge boxers and karate guys and stuff in a no rules fight.

We thought he was full of crap. We all watched in the break room like
Omega
7/5/07 3:17:23PM

Posted by nWo

i ve seen em all
and
first pride 7 yrs later
2000 rickson x funaki

I started training for Pancrase back in 1992 and sent my application for UFC after #2. Right hand was broken when I was asked for UFC 5. And after a long talk with Davie decided not to do it at all when he wanted me as first seed against Ruas in UFC 7.

Yup, I've been around since the beginning too. I miss headbutts.
Infused
7/6/07 12:20:47PM

Posted by Omega

Posted by nWo

i ve seen em all
and
first pride 7 yrs later
2000 rickson x funaki

I started training for Pancrase back in 1992 and sent my application for UFC after #2. Right hand was broken when I was asked for UFC 5. And after a long talk with Davie decided not to do it at all when he wanted me as first seed against Ruas in UFC 7.

Yup, I've been around since the beginning too. I miss headbutts.

\

Thats hardcore.

I wish I did shit like that, but then I would of had to start when I was two years old.
Northrend
7/17/07 3:21:20AM
Watching Ken Shamrock vs Kimo at UFC 47 was my first live event. My old trainer Robert Emerson gave me a Pride 20 DVD and the K-1 were Fujita beat up Bob Sapp and was hooked ever since.
Taylor8766
7/17/07 2:58:21PM
TUF 1
Jujiden
7/17/07 5:05:27PM
Since UFC 1 for me. I had been studying other styles up until that time (Karate, Jujutsu, Muay Thai). It honestly caused me to reconsider the effectiveness of some of my techniques and recalibrate other ones to make them more practical. I then lost interest around UFC 20 and took interest again during the Matt Hughes/Royce Gracie fight and have been an MMA fiend since then.
Rua22
7/17/07 5:24:02PM
i was a big fight fan growing up and my main interest was in boxing. after boxing for a while i decided to give mma a try and now i can honestly say mayweather has NO clue what he is talking about.