my mma

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » my mma
danny81
7/1/07 8:05:00PM
well i dont have a gym near me so i just join others MAs and mix them myself. i do boxing and wrestling. anyway i am freinds with a guy who owns an mma gym around 45 minutes away so ever once in a while i go there and spar. well tomorrow i am sparring some guy who is basically a street fighter type guy he has had training but just ignores it. he outweighs me by about 20-30 pds. he basically just comes charging in throwing as hard and as fast as he can punches. I know he will gas quickly but how can i beat him? now remember i am mainly a boxer(for now) i suck at kicking and trapping only punches and i am not confident enuff in my wrestling yet to use it. i am only going to use that if he tries to grapple with me(which he wont). anyway my punches and punch defense are much better than his. much faster and smoother. how can i use that against him? also IDK if this is stupid or smart, but it is just how I am I dont tap. i have passed out twice because of it. is that dumb?
LightsOut33093
7/1/07 8:55:26PM
well for the street fighter...i recommend when he comes charging in u jus tackle him and proceed 2 punching him in the face till hes knocked out

and about the tapping out...u probably shood tap...becuz evry time u dont u probably take a 1/2 year off ur liffe
danny81
7/1/07 10:39:45PM
im not good at ground and pound yet. any other tips? any way to punch him out?
bayonetxwork
7/1/07 11:39:54PM

Posted by danny81

im not good at ground and pound yet. any other tips? any way to punch him out?

Get off first. If you have the better strikes and defense, don't be scared on taking the pocket and making him counter. Chances are he'll try and overwhelm you like you said, and he outweighs you, so its going to be hard to take the pocket, but still make sure you get off first, that way after you catch him a few times, you can really take the offensive. And yes, IMO, that is retarded. Sparring isn't about competition anyways, its about practicing in a live environment. Tapping shouldn't put a burden on your pride, especially while sparring. Hell if I'm sparring and cylcling opponents, if I make a mistake, and they even lock in something, I tap. Might sound dumb, but hey gives you more time to practice what you did wrong on the next opponent. No reason to put yourself at risk when your sparring.

Also, uhh, you said there's no MMA schools around you. But then you said you know a guy that owns one 45 minutes away...?
danny81
7/2/07 12:02:24AM
well i meant there was none i could get to on a regular basis. i like to train everyday or atleast 5 times a day. im 15 i cant drive. its 45min by drive.
what do you mean get out first? as in start throwing strikes first? i cant wait till i get better at wrestling so i dont have this problem.
LightsOut33093
7/2/07 10:12:22AM
or another thing u cood do.........if he comes running at yu crazily puching and shit he will probably be open, so try to get a jab right in the face and then he'll be knocked back a lil so u can start showcasing ur boxing skills...................... but the best thing wood probably be 2 tackle him then GnP...but u dont know yet so try the thing above.
fedorwins1
7/2/07 11:11:27AM

Posted by danny81

well i meant there was none i could get to on a regular basis. i like to train everyday or atleast 5 times a day. im 15 i cant drive. its 45min by drive.
what do you mean get out first? as in start throwing strikes first? i cant wait till i get better at wrestling so i dont have this problem.

You train 5 times a day? I think you mean week.... If he likes to come in swinging, then just use your footwork and stay away until he punches himself out or you get an opening.
Mastodon2
7/2/07 12:01:38PM
If you can box, just keep bobbing and weaving, and he will tire out, then start looking for targets that he leaves open - everyone has their own stance, so everyone has their own targets that they leave undefended too. Just start jabbing these and he will soon get worn down.

But remember, you said you are "sparring", and when you are sparring you dont try to kill eachother, its practise for fighting, not actual fighting. Make sure you are wearing all of the correct gear - gloves that are heavier than 4oz (you can pruchase proper MMA sparring gloves), Headgear and gumshields, and preferrably shinpads too. And a groin protector, dont forget that!
danny81
7/2/07 2:04:19PM
ehhhh. we only wore head gear and cups and the reg gloves. i never new they had other things. thanks i will check em out. yah im prob just going to bob and weave and jab and once hes hurt i will bring in the combos.
fedorwins1
7/2/07 4:40:58PM

Posted by danny81

ehhhh. we only wore head gear and cups and the reg gloves. i never new they had other things. thanks i will check em out. yah im prob just going to bob and weave and jab and once hes hurt i will bring in the combos.

No mouthpiece?
danny81
7/2/07 6:13:20PM
o yah mouthpieces to. well im off in about 30 min any last minute tips?
FeelTheJoy
7/2/07 7:24:23PM
i dont think you lose 1/2 year of your life. and sumtimes you dont have time to tap. you just pass put within sec
danny81
7/3/07 2:06:40AM
I WON. :D lol.
what i did was i bob and weaved his looping punches and just slipped his looping straights and i got a good uppercut. good night. lol
BTW is it legal for when one guy is on ground and the other isnt to just stop the other guy and kick his head?
LightsOut33093
7/3/07 11:08:31AM

Posted by danny81

what i did was i bob and weaved his looping punches and just slipped his looping straights and i got a good uppercut. good night. lol
BTW is it legal for when one guy is on ground and the other isnt to just stop the other guy and kick his head?

its legal in pride....illegal in UFC
Mastodon2
7/3/07 2:46:42PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by danny81

its legal in pride....illegal in UFC

It's not legal in Pride anymore, and its not something I'd do in Sparring either; it's really easy to injure someone like that, it sounds more like you treated it like a real fight, rather than a sparring session.
danny81
7/3/07 4:26:34PM
i didnt do it. i was just wondering what you would do if you got the guy on the ground and you are still up.
Ydoc
7/3/07 5:30:09PM
You could work his body over with kicks, superman punch into him, go into his guard, or step back and let the ref stand him back up.
bayonetxwork
7/3/07 6:32:27PM
I think you take sparring way too seriously. Well actual, too competitive. Sparring isn't about winning all the time, its about learning, and you need to keep it a learning environment or someones going to get hurt for no reason at all.
danny81
7/3/07 7:43:42PM
oo alright. i will
Mastodon2
7/4/07 9:28:55AM
And as for the not tapping out thing, thats really dumb. If its an arm or leg lock you could take a fracture so bad you might never compete again, and if its a choke, well you just look like an absolute mug getting pulled out by the ref unconscious, with your tongue flapping about and your eyes rolled back in their sockets.

If you get caught in a sub, just tap out, you will look like more of a goon if you dont.