about MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » about MMA
javiperez
8/2/11 7:01:45AM
Hi!
My name is Martina, and I work for tour operating company. Soon I am starting a new project which will cover great spectacles / shows associated with the MMA.
I was assigned to a small research, and I have many questions about MMA.
Namely, I mean people interested in the MMA. I am very new to this subject, and I wanted to ask you what is the age range of people attending to MMA practices? Are there only men interested in this kind of sport or women as well? What these people have in common? I am thinking of a certain lifestyle, music, social class, etc? Is there a specific / selected place where they buy special food supplements, clothing, etc? I appreciate any answer, and maybe even a little lecture about this extraordinary passion. To be able to cooperate with people who are passionate about the martial arts I need to get to know them a little. For any information thank you in advance,
MK
Kpro
8/2/11 8:03:17AM

Posted by javiperez

To be able to cooperate with people who are passionate about the martial arts I need to get to know them a little.

Are people who practice and/or watch martial arts any different from anyone else you know to the point that it makes you need to understand "them" so that you can "cooperate" with them? Based on the post, I'm assuming this paper is junior high level.

And if you're serious about this, and I were you, I'd come up with a questionnaire of some sort with very open-ended questions. Demographics can be found anywhere on the web with a simple Google search. And asking if it's only men that are interested in this sport makes me think you are an extremely sheltered person, naive, or just not very bright. The questions are literally not even worth answering unless you asked them in 1993. I'd do a little more research and then come back with more knowledge and better questions if I were you, especially if this is something you're job will base their opinion of you on.

Not trying to be a dick, although that's great that I'll apparently be your first impression of an MMA fan, but I'm really hoping you do more research than your questions suggest.

If I were you I'd also tell us a little about yourself and make sure to include partially clothed pictures so that we can better understand who "you" are so that we can "cooperate" with you and take the questions more seriously. <---See how your choice of words comes full circle?

Kpro
8/2/11 9:09:32AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by javiperez

To be able to cooperate with people who are passionate about the martial arts I need to get to know them a little.

Are people who practice and/or watch martial arts any different from anyone else you know to the point that it makes you need to understand "them" so that you can "cooperate" with them? Based on the post, I'm assuming this paper is junior high level.

And if you're serious about this, and I were you, I'd come up with a questionnaire of some sort with very open-ended questions. Demographics can be found anywhere on the web with a simple Google search. And asking if it's only men that are interested in this sport makes me think you are an extremely sheltered person, naive, or just not very bright. The questions are literally not even worth answering unless you asked them in 1993. I'd do a little more research and then come back with more knowledge and better questions if I were you, especially if this is something you're job will base their opinion of you on.

Not trying to be a dick, although that's great that I'll apparently be your first impression of an MMA fan, but I'm really hoping you do more research than your questions suggest.

If I were you I'd also tell us a little about yourself and make sure to include partially clothed pictures so that we can better understand who "you" are so that we can "cooperate" with you and take the questions more seriously. <---See how your choice of words comes full circle?

No need to be a dick dude; the chick was just asking some questions.
tn_rebel
8/2/11 9:43:22AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Kpro

Posted by javiperez

Damn buddy! Yea, I thought the questions were kinda silly too, but don't you think the more people that become interested in the sport and the bigger it gets is a good thing? I was watching ESPN yesterday and they were talking about the Hendo/Fedor fight. There was one analyst who knew a little about mma but the rest of them knew absolutely nothing and actually said that they don't care to know anything about it. MMA has quickly become the 4th or 5th biggest sport in America, and its time to get educated.
cowcatcher
8/2/11 10:20:33AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Kpro

Posted by javiperez

I was going to ban that guy for being a dick, but your harsh scolding saved him.
Kpro
8/2/11 10:31:49AM
I was going to ban that guy for being a dick, but your harsh scolding saved him.

Yeah I don't know about that guy, he just sent me this PM:

"If we were in the wild, I would attack you. Even if you weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack you! If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I’d swim out in the middle of the ocean and freakin EAT YOU! And then I’d bang your tuna girlfriend."

Ok, first off, a lion? Swimming in the ocean? Lions don’t like water! If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that makes sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, 20 foot waves, I’m assuming it’s off the coast of South Africa. Going up against a full grown 800-pound tuna with his 20 or 30 friends? You lose that battle. You lose that battle 9 times out of 10. Well guess what? You’ve wandered into a school of tuna and we now have a taste of lion! We’ve talked to ourselves. We’ve communicated. And I said, ‘You know what?! Lion tastes good! Lets go get some more lion!’ We’ve developed a system: to establish a beachhead and to aggressively hunt you and your family. And we will corner you and your, your pride, your children.

We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp! We will be able to track certain amounts of oxygen. It’s not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour 45? No problem! That’ll give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get more oxygen, and then stalk you. You just lost in your own game. You’re outdone and outmanned……….Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? …..NOPE.
emfleek
8/2/11 10:41:02AM
This thread makes me feel funny.

Cool.
Kpro
8/2/11 10:47:46AM

Posted by emfleek

This thread makes me feel funny.

Cool.

I think I need a 12 step program for Hijacking threads and quoting myself.

But now that I got it out of my system; if anyone would like to assist, Martina would like to know....

Posted by javiperez

Hi!
My name is Martina, and I work for tour operating company. Soon I am starting a new project which will cover great spectacles / shows associated with the MMA.
Namely, I mean people interested in the MMA. I am very new to this subject, and I wanted to ask you what is the age range of people attending to MMA practices? Are there only men interested in this kind of sport or women as well? What these people have in common? I am thinking of a certain lifestyle, music, social class, etc? Is there a specific / selected place where they buy special food supplements, clothing, etc? I appreciate any answer, and maybe even a little lecture about this extraordinary passion. To be able to cooperate with people who are passionate about the martial arts I need to get to know them a little. For any information thank you in advance,
MK

prophecy033
8/2/11 11:02:55AM
Age demo is 16-65, hope that helps
scoozna
8/2/11 2:27:01PM
lol...I'm confused.

I was thinking, rather than being a young person, that perhaps English was not his/her primary language.

I especially like how their research would be based on anonymous posts to a forum. Good quality stuff there.
kingsmasher
8/2/11 3:01:46PM
can we get more credentials? company name?

How did one stumble here?

What boss would give someone such an assignment when they have absolutely not even a smidgeon of MMA knowledge...

When is this assignment due? 6 months away I hope...

but here you go..

18 - 38 mostly male of course
wide range of musical interests and occupations...
most fighters of the future will be former college wrestlers looking to make money...

Research the Gracie family and the UFC beginnings...
prophecy033
8/2/11 4:13:15PM
I'm sure there are better places to find the info you need, not sure that a forum where self-deprecation and fart jokes is a place to find it. I'm sure you will get the info faster at Wikipedia.com
Chael_Sonnen
8/2/11 4:36:10PM
Gotta love Spam
kopower
8/2/11 6:05:47PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Kpro

Posted by javiperez

First off, I totally agree with Kpro. It wasn't very kind of you to attack him like that. Secondly, how do you know Kpro is a dude. I have seen no evidence or pictures confirming that. The only evidence we have is his or her love to Hong Man Choi. Both dudes and chicks dig the Choi. Finally, thanks Kpro for putting javiperez in his or her place. I totally agree with your argument.
pmoney
8/2/11 7:14:25PM

Posted by javiperez

Hi!
MK

So I guess it's stuff like this that is the reason why there are almost 57,000 members and roughly 5,000 that play the game....

Also, javiperez seems like a guy's name.... yet the person introduces herself as Martina... Well played, spammer. You seem unintentionally condescending, so let me help you out a bit, just in case you need some more "cooperation"

Demographic: Human race. Everyone loves fighting. Some more than others.
Music: Completely inconsequential.
Clothing: See music.
Social class: See demographic.
Lifestyle: See demographic.
ncordless
8/2/11 7:40:56PM

Posted by javiperez

Hi!
MK

MMA has best been described as homosexual skinhead fighting. MMA fans are post-sexual voyeurs who enjoy watching almost-naked men in fantastic condition engage each other in physical combat which results in two bodies interlocking in compromising positions. The juxtaposition of sexuality and violence is at once primal and fetishistic. Think of it like a PRIDE parade, but with less blood and more compromising positions.

However, MMA, or "human cockfighting," has been shown to be deletrious to our nation's moral fabric. Studies show that 90% of children under the age of 17 who watch an MMA fight will immediately try it on their friends and choke them to death and/or bash their face in.

MMA fighters have been known to snap at any second and kill people with their bare hands for no good reason. Studies show this is likely because of the combination of steroids and being trained killers.

The only things that save this "sport" from total anarchy and death are:
1. Rules that limit the techniques that can be used.- Not only does the sport not allow biting and eye gouging, it also has other safety rules that totally make a lot of sense, like not being able to knee an opponent in the face when his knee is touching the ground even though you can knee him in the face if he is bent over to the same height and angle but stays standing, or limiting the angle which an elbow can be thrown from when on the ground becase it totally makes a lot difference.

2. Competent Judging. In mma, the judges always get it right, and the reason is they way they choose judges just makes sense. The key is having a non-elected commission of people who know little to nothing about mma decide who gets to be a judge, and to have those decisions based upon seniority.

3. The non-fight drama. In the end, MMA is great because of things like the house footage of TUF, articles about about contracts and TV ratings, and people like Chael Sonnen and Dana White giving interviews.
Chael_Sonnen
8/2/11 8:23:57PM
I was waiting for Martina to ask for my credit card and bank account #
prophecy033
8/2/11 8:33:16PM
He....she....it kept referring to it as "the mma". What the hell is that? It's like its a foreign object, like its taboo. Sorry he/she it ain't taboo anymore
grappler0000
8/2/11 10:19:38PM

Posted by prophecy033

He....she....it kept referring to it as "the mma". What the hell is that? It's like its a foreign object, like its taboo. Sorry he/she it ain't taboo anymore

I actually see "the mma" referenced all the time...not here, but other places. It's always been one of my pet peeves. I guess it's not necessarily wrong "if" the intent is to refer to the arts, but I always thought it sounded funny regardless of application.
prophecy033
8/3/11 3:29:32PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

I actually see "the mma" referenced all the time...not here, but other places. It's always been one of my pet peeves. I guess it's not necessarily wrong "if" the intent is to refer to the arts, but I always thought it sounded funny regardless of application.

I know, it kinda bugs me too. It's like saying the football,the basketball. If your talking about a singular object it sounds fine, but when your talking about it all as a whole it sounds funny