MMA at the 2008 Summer Olympics (fantasy, of course)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » MMA at the 2008 Summer Olympics (fantasy, of course)
AchillesHeel
5/24/08 12:01:08PM
With Beijing 2008 a few months away, I thought it was time to break down the MMA competition.

(In case it's not painfully obvious, this is purely speculative. To my knowledge, MMA isn't even being considered as an Olympic event. Everything written below comes out of some mirror universe, that almost perfectly resembles our own, except that MMA is an Olympic event and I'm married to Tricia Helfer. )

The Venue: Olympic MMA competition is going to be in a ring. The Octagon is a UFC trademark, so that was off the table. I think the reasoning here was that most fighters who have fought in the cage have also fought in a ring, while many fighters have only fought in a ring. Therefore, a ring should theoretically minimize the "home field advantage" of guys from the UFC, WEC, and Cage Rage. Also, the more conservative decision-makers in the IOC felt more comfortable with it being in a boxing ring or on a mat (like wrestling, judo, and tae kwon do). Since MMA is never on a mat, a boxing ring it was.

The Rules: A version of the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, as ratified by the New Jersey and Nevada State Athletic Commissions, are in effect. Simply put, UFC rules; no kicks to the head on the ground; 3 5-minute rounds with 1-minute rest periods; 4-to-6 ounce gloves; no gis, no long pants or shirts. The only difference is that elbows aren't allowed. This was another concession to the people still trying to swallow MMA as a sport, and it remains a point of contention. The USOC is negotiating for elbows to be introduced into Olympic competition in 2012, but for 2008, they're out.

The Judging, Scoring, and Refereeing: As with other international competitions, referees and judges must represent 3rd-party countries (so when an American is fighting a Brazilian, for example, the referee and judges cannot be American or Brazilian). Judging rules was another point of contention, and it was eventually decided to use the UFC-style "10-Point Must" scoring system.

The Competition: Olympic MMA features 6 weight classes, Heavyweight (265 lbs / 120 kg), Light-Heavyweight (205 lbs / 93 kg), Middleweight (185 lbs / 84 kg), Welterweight (170 lbs / 77 kg), Lightweight (155 lbs / 70 kg), and Featherweight (145 lbs / 66 kg). 8 countries reach the Olympic finals. Each country represented can nominate a single fighter in each weight class, with a backup who will compete only in the event of serious injury (neutral, Olympic medical officials will be evaluating each fighter after every fight). Fighters with parents or grandparents from another country may be eligible to fight for that country, at that country's discretion. Fighters will compete in a randomly-seeded, single elimination tournament consisting of 3 rounds.

The Countries in the Finals: Brazil, Canada, England, France, Japan, Mexico, Russia, and the United States have qualified for the final competition in Beijing.
AchillesHeel
5/24/08 12:01:55PM
And... finally... The Fighters: Each team brings one Heavyweight, one Light-Heavyweight, one Middleweight, one Welterweight, one Lightweight, and one Featherweight, in that order.

Brazil: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Thiago Alves, Gesias "JZ" Calvancante, and Wagnney Fabiano.

Canada: Gary Goodridge, Krzysztof Soszynski, Patrick Coté, Georges St. Pierre, Chris Horodecki, and Antonio Carvalho.

England: Rob Broughton, James Zikic, Michael Bisping, Dan Hardy, Jeff Lawson, and Brad Pickett.

France: Cheick Kongo, Moise Rimbon, Xavier Foupa-Pokam, David Baron, Bendy Casimir, and Emmanuel Fernandez.

Japan: Yoshihiro Nakao, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Kazuo Misaki, Yoshiyuki Yoshida, Shinya Aoki, and Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto.

Mexico: Paul Buentello, Tito Ortiz, Joey Villaseñor, Diego Sanchez, Roger Huerta, and Miguel Torres.

Russia: Fedor Emelianenko, Vladimir Matyushenko, Arman Gambaryan, Alex Serduykov, Vladimir Zenin, and Artur Oumakhanov.

United States: Josh Barnett, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Dan Henderson, Jon Fitch, B.J. Penn, and Urijah Faber.
AchillesHeel
5/24/08 12:15:12PM
The Draw:

Round 1:

Gary Goodridge (CAN) vs. Josh Barnett (USA)
Paul Buentello (MEX) vs. Fedor Emelianenko (RUS)
Rob Broughton (UK) vs. Cheick Kongo (FRA)
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (BRA) vs. Yoshihiro Nakao (JAP)

Moise Rambon (FRA) vs. Tito Ortiz (MEX)
Lyoto Machida (BRA) vs. James Zikic (UK)
Krzysztof Soszynski (CAN) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (RUS)
Kazuhiro Nakamura (JAP) vs. Quinton Jackson (USA)

Anderson Silva (BRA) vs. Patrick Cote (CAN)
Arman Gamburyan (RUS) vs. Dan Henderson (USA)
Joey Villsenor (MEX) vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam (FRA)
Kazuo Misaki (JAP) vs. Michael Bisping (UK)

Georges St. Pierre (CAN) vs. Diego Sanchez (MEX)
David Baron (FRA) vs. Dan Hardy (UK)
Thiago Alves (BRA) vs. Alex Surduykov (RUS)
Jon Fitch (USA) vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Bendy Casimir (FRA) vs. B.J. Penn (USA)
Vladimir Zenin (RUS) vs. Chris Horodecki (CAN)
Shinya Aoki (JAP) vs. Roger Huerta (MEX)
Gesias Calvancante (BRA) vs. Jeff Lawson (UK)

Antonio Carvalho (CAN) vs. Emmanuel Fernandez (FRA)
Norifumi Yamamoto (JAP) vs. Brad Pickett (UK)
Wagnney Fabiano (BRA) vs. Artur Oumakhanov (RUS)
Urijah Faber (USA) vs. Miguel Torres (MEX)

p.s. These matchups were completely random.
Mayhem13
5/24/08 12:27:09PM
Josh Barnett (USA) by Decision
Fedor Emelianenko (RUS) by Sub
Cheick Kongo (FRA) by UD
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (BRA) by Sub

Tito Ortiz (MEX) by TKO
Lyoto Machida (BRA) by TKO
Vladimir Matyushenko (RUS)by TKO
Quinton Jackson (USA) by TKO

Anderson Silva (BRA) by KTO
Dan Henderson (USA) by UD
Xavier Foupa-Pokam (FRA) by UD
Michael Bisping (UK) by UD

Georges St. Pierre (CAN) by SUB
Dan Hardy (UK) by TKO
Thiago Alves (BRA) by UD
Jon Fitch (USA) by UD

B.J. Penn (USA) by TKO
Chris Horodecki (CAN) by UD
Shinya Aoki (JAP) by SUB
Gesias Calvancante (BRA) by UD

Antonio Carvalho (CAN) by UD
Norifumi Yamamoto (JAP) by TKO
Wagnney Fabiano (BRA) by SUB
Miguel Torres (MEX) by SUB

those are my predictions for the first round!

(cool topic by the way )
juanez13
5/24/08 12:38:09PM
Round 1:

Josh Barnett (USA) Via UD
Fedor Emelianenko (RUS) 1st round SUB
Cheick Kongo (FRA) Rnd 2 KO/TKO
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (BRA) 1st round Sub

Tito Ortiz (MEX) 1st Rnd KO/TKO
Lyoto Machida (BRA) 2nd Rnd KO/TKO
Vladimir Matyushenko (RUS) Vua UD
Quinton Jackson (USA) 2nd Rnd KO/TKO

Anderson Silva (BRA) 1st RND KO/TKO
Dan Henderson (USA)
Xavier "Professor X" Foupa-Pokam UD
Kazuo Misaki (JAP) Via UD

Georges St. Pierre (CAN) Via 3rd round KO/TKO
Dan Hardy (UK) by TKO
Thiago Alves (BRA) 2nd round KO/TKO
Jon Fitch (USA) Via UD

B.J. Penn (USA)
Chris Horodecki (CAN) 2nd Rnd KO/TKO
Shinya Aoki (JAP) 2nd Rnd SUB
Gesias Calvancante (BRA) 1st Rnd KO/TKO

Antonio Carvalho (CAN) 2nd Rnd Sub/
Norifumi Yamamoto (JAP) 1st rnd KO/TKO
Wagnney Fabiano (BRA) Via SUB
Urijah Faber (USA) 2nd Rnd KO/TKO

only thing i saw wrong is that miguel torres fights at 135, and faber is 145.
Jipper
5/24/08 1:24:41PM
Gotta say I don't think any of your Mexican fighters were born of live in Mexico so they'd be up for the US. But I understand the what Fantasy means.

Josh Barnett (USA) 1st Sub
Fedor Emelianenko (RUS) 1st Sub
Cheick Kongo (BRA) UD
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (BRA) 2nd Sub

Tito Ortiz (USA) UD
Lyoto Machida (BRA) UD
Vladimir Matyushenko (RUS) 2nd TKO
Quinton Jackson (USA) 2nd TKO

Anderson Silva (BRA) 1st KO
Dan Henderson (USA) 1st TKO
Joey Villsenor (MEX) 2nd TKO
Kazuo Misaki (JAP) 2nd Sub

Georges St. Pierre (CAN) UD
David Baron (FRA) UD
Thiago Alves (BRA) 2nd TKO
Jon Fitch (USA) UD

B.J. Penn (USA) 1st Sub
Chris Horodecki (CAN) UD
Shinya Aoki (JAP) 3rd Sub
Gesias Calvancante (BRA) 1st TKO

Antonio Carvalho (CAN) 2nd TKO
Norifumi Yamamoto (JAP) 2nd TKO
Wagnney Fabiano (BRA) 3rd Sub
Urijah Faber (USA) 2nd TKO
Aaronno9
5/24/08 1:43:45PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

The Draw:

Round 1:

osh Barnett (USA) Sub
Fedor Emelianenko (RUS) Sub
Cheick Kongo (FRA) TKO
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Sub

Tito Ortiz (MEX) UD
Lyoto Machida (BRA) UD
Vladimir Matyushenko (RUS) TKO
Quinton Jackson (USA) UD

Anderson Silva (BRA) TKO
Dan Henderson (USA) TKO
Joey Villsenor (MEX) UD
Michael Bisping (UK) TKO

Georges St. Pierre (CAN) UD
Dan Hardy (UK) TKO
Thiago Alves (BRA) TKO
Jon Fitch (USA) UD

B.J. Penn (USA) TKO
Chris Horodecki (CAN) UD
Roger Huerta (MEX) UD
Gesias Calvancante (BRA) TKO

Emmanuel Fernandez (FRA) UD
Norifumi Yamamoto (JAP) TKO
Wagnney Fabiano (BRA) UD
Urijah Faber (USA) TKO

AchillesHeel
5/26/08 12:15:55PM
The Semi-Finals:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, both Brazil and the USA advance to the semis in every weight class, and no country has been entirely eliminated yet. I see only a few real mismatches here.

Josh Barnett (USA) vs. Fedor Emelianenko (RUS)
Cheick Kongo (FRA) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (BRA)

I've wanted to see Barnett-v-Emelianenko for years now. I think Fedor would have the edge on the feet while both men look for the advantageous takedown. Kongo could actually give Big Nog some problems, much as Tim Sylvia did.

Tito Ortiz (MEX) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (RUS)
Lyoto Machida (BRA) vs. Quinton Jackson (USA)

I artificially switched the matchups here, because we just saw Ortiz-v-Machida. Ortiz-Matyushenko could be an interesting wrestling match, and Machida-Rampage looks inevitable, in real life.

Anderson Silva (BRA) vs. Dan Henderson (USA)
Xavier Foupa-Pokam (FRA) vs. Kazuo Misaki (JAP)

I actually think Hendo still poses a big threat to Silva, and the loss might actually give him the edge in the rematch. I've only seen Foupa-Pokam and Misaki a couple of times, so I'm not sure what to think about that match.

Georges St. Pierre (CAN) vs. Dan Hardy (UK)
Thiago Alves (BRA) vs. Jon Fitch (USA)

I thought Baron would beat Hardy, but I was out-voted. GSP-v-Hardy looks like a mismatch, but Alves-v-Fitch might be a coin-toss.

B.J. Penn (USA) vs. Chris Horodecki (CAN)
Shinya Aoki (JAP) vs. Gesias Calvancante (BRA)

Horodecki is game - the standup exchanges would be interesting - but he's probably screwed as soon as B.J. decides to take it to the mat. Aoki-Calvancante could still go either way and, as with Hendo-Silva, the guy who lost the last time might have a slim edge in the rematch.

Antonio Carvalho (CAN) vs. Norifumi Yamamoto (JAP)
Wagnney Fabiano (BRA) vs. Urijah Faber (USA)

Faber-v-Yamamoto seemed kind of inevitable from the beginning. Naturally, these matchups aren't decided on paper, but I don't see how Carvalho or Fabiano can approach these matches with much optimism.

The Finals will, naturally, match up the winners of each fight, at each weight class.