Going to start MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Going to start MMA
Next Page »
WhiteWidow
3/21/08 6:59:05PM
Ive been in muay thai for 9 years now with a good record of (27-1) [21 KOs, 1 KO loss] and want to convert over to MMA, ive been learning submissions & submission defense i have been training in BJJ and have a blue belt also been practacing takedown defense and have stellar balence and control

I have older brothers that taught me to defend myself along with bullying the younger target so ive learned my share of wrestling and gained tendon strength thru that and other sports, its nice to be the one who knows how to fight and is able to sub them from strikes or tapout

Back on topic what should i practice the most? i plan on going to more MMA, Thai Boxing and BJJ academies...
seanfu
3/21/08 9:06:08PM
If you're such a good Thai boxer I say go for the wrestling.

In the cage most fighters aren't talented in standup. If you learn BJJ and focus on ground defense then I think it's likely you could end up as that guy who wins decisions against everyone but can't beat any good powerhouse wrestlers.

Sub defense with high focus on wrestling and cage tactics.

It will probably be way easier if you can find an organization that still uses a ring because that tends to even things out between standup, wrestling, and BJJ.

We all have seen a lot of fights here, so we know that a lot of talented standup fighters basically give up the takedown, you learn how to not give up the takedown, you win.

This is all of coarse in my oppinion. But just watch the videos of standup fighters and look for their holes.

Good luck. Edit: I know the place is absolutely loaded but I don't think you can really go wrong with Militech. Team Quest might not be bad if you can get in.
WhiteWidow
3/21/08 11:11:05PM

Posted by seanfu

In the cage most fighters aren't talented in standup. If you learn BJJ and focus on ground defense then I think it's likely you could end up as that guy who wins decisions against everyone but can't beat any good powerhouse wrestlers.

It will probably be way easier if you can find an organization that still uses a ring because that tends to even things out between standup, wrestling, and BJJ.

We all have seen a lot of fights here, so we know that a lot of talented standup fighters basically give up the takedown, you learn how to not give up the takedown, you win.

This is all of coarse in my oppinion. But just watch the videos of standup fighters and look for their holes.

Good luck. Edit: I know the place is absolutely loaded but I don't think you can really go wrong with Militech. Team Quest might not be bad if you can get in.

yeah MMA is way different than thai boxing for sure, i might keep at it just to keep my standup crisp until fully rounded off in all areas so i dont lose my standup

ive been watching kickboxing / thai matches since i was 5 and MMA since i was 13 so yeah i understand that not all standup fighters do the greatest in MMA but ive been practicing alot of takedown defense, submission offense and defense and feel that with a little more training i will neutralize and sweep / capitalize on wrestlers, i strength train and grapple to round up these days grappling in turn makes my standup better as does cutting about 15 pounds, i weight 200 walking weight

im avid at working at everything and i appreciate the advice, to work on the wrestling / takedown defense and some camps, i now live close to team quest actually so working with hendo and them cant hurt, im working toward my BJJ purple belt soon so i feel by the time i get into amatuer or pro MMA i'll have a black belt

oh yeah and the ring vs cage thing, its funny ive been training in a cage lately and ever since then ive been hooked on the cage even tho the ring is my forte, i think you might be right about finding a ring at first but i hope to make it just at natural in a ring
Omega
3/22/08 12:54:00AM

Posted by WhiteWidow

Posted by seanfu

yeah MMA is way different than thai boxing for sure, i might keep at it just to keep my standup crisp until fully rounded off in all areas so i dont lose my standup

ive been watching kickboxing / thai matches since i was 5 and MMA since i was 13 so yeah i understand that not all standup fighters do the greatest in MMA but ive been practicing alot of takedown defense, submission offense and defense and feel that with a little more training i will neutralize and sweep / capitalize on wrestlers, i strength train and grapple to round up these days grappling in turn makes my standup better as does cutting about 15 pounds, i weight 200 walking weight

im avid at working at everything and i appreciate the advice, to work on the wrestling / takedown defense and some camps, i now live close to team quest actually so working with hendo and them cant hurt, im working toward my BJJ purple belt soon so i feel by the time i get into amatuer or pro MMA i'll have a black belt

oh yeah and the ring vs cage thing, its funny ive been training in a cage lately and ever since then ive been hooked on the cage even tho the ring is my forte, i think you might be right about finding a ring at first but i hope to make it just at natural in a ring

How old are you?
WhiteWidow
3/22/08 5:57:40PM
Omega
3/23/08 5:52:55AM

Posted by WhiteWidow

24? Would you like to be a little more truthful about your record and experience then?
WhiteWidow
3/23/08 6:15:02AM

Posted by Omega

Posted by WhiteWidow

24? Would you like to be a little more truthful about your record and experience then?

27-1.... is that okay with you sir?
Omega
3/23/08 9:29:08PM
No, I think you're looking at my statement all wrong hence your PM to me:

"dont call me out as a liar, show some respect please, all i wanted was some advice not someone insulting me because im 24"

I didn't call you a liar. I said would you like to be more truthful. In other words, according to what you would like me to believe, is that in 9 years since you were 15 years old you've had 28 pro and am fights with 21 KO's, a blue belt in BJJ and you're coming on a fantasy mma site asking for advice on how to become a mma fighter. I know you didn't say pro or am but if you're going to have a record this is what you base your record off of.

I do not buy it.

You need to be more truthful. I personally am not part of the mutual appreciation society. I've fought pro and coach a professional and amateur team in Kickboxing and mma. Sorry if your story comes off a bit exaggerated.
WhiteWidow
3/24/08 12:26:00AM

Posted by Omega

"dont call me out as a liar, show some respect please, all i wanted was some advice not someone insulting me because im 24"

I didn't call you a liar. I said would you like to be more truthful. In other words, according to what you would like me to believe, is that in 9 years since you were 15 years old you've had 28 pro and am fights with 21 KO's, a blue belt in BJJ and you're coming on a fantasy mma site asking for advice on how to become a mma fighter. I know you didn't say pro or am but if you're going to have a record this is what you base your record off of.

I do not buy it.

You need to be more truthful. I personally am not part of the mutual appreciation society. I've fought pro and coach a professional and amateur team in Kickboxing and mma. Sorry if your story comes off a bit exaggerated.

i dont have to "show my cahones" for you or anyone else if you havnt got anything nice to say dont say anything at all, and dont call me a liar again, ive never lied in my life, your an incredibly rude human being, you should just not reply if you dont buy something, am i right? see i already proved you as a rude individual because you keep calling me a liar in few words dont insult my intelligence with your misdirected hostility im above that sir... so what your saying is i have to send you my credentials? this is ridiculous you need a lesson in manners
Omega
3/24/08 12:54:08AM

Posted by WhiteWidow

Posted by Omega

I do not buy it.

i dont have to "show my cahones" for you or anyone else if you havnt got anything nice to say dont say anything at all, and dont call me a liar again, ive never lied in my life, your an incredibly rude human being, you should just not reply if you dont buy something, am i right? see i already proved you as a rude individual because you keep calling me a liar in few words dont insult my intelligence with your misdirected hostility im above that sir... so what your saying is i have to send you my credentials? this is ridiculous you need a lesson in manners

Cahones? Did I ever say you had to show "Cahones" which I believe is spelled Cajones.

Why are you so defensive kid?
Never called you a liar. I said it was hard for me to believe that you have a pro/am record in such little time. I don't buy it without proof.
Manners? Would you like me to use the word please?

Bottom line is if you don't want to be forth coming then that's up to you. I call them how I see them. At 27-1 with 21 KO's and a blue belt in BJJ you should be a huge catch for any team to bring you in.

So...got any videos of your fights?
WhiteWidow
3/24/08 4:31:00AM

Posted by Omega

Cahones? Did I ever say you had to show "Cahones" which I believe is spelled Cajones.

Why are you so defensive kid?
Never called you a liar. I said it was hard for me to believe that you have a pro/am record in such little time. I don't buy it without proof.
Manners? Would you like me to use the word please?

Bottom line is if you don't want to be forth coming then that's up to you. I call them how I see them. At 27-1 with 21 KO's and a blue belt in BJJ you should be a huge catch for any team to bring you in.

So...got any videos of your fights?

i never said pro, its amatuer muay thai man, im not the one acting like a kid and yes you are calling me a liar by saying "why dont you be honest about experience" thats insulting and being called out as a liar ya know? i did all i could to be nice i dont see your line between acting like a kid and an adult, and that gives you the right to say that and call me kid, when i act nicely about being insulted? all i wanted was some pointers on what i should work on for MMA, please show respect i didnt do anything wrong, this is seriously getting weird. if you have nothing nice to say why dont you just swallow your pride and be quiet, im not a liar and am not the one acting childish, can i call you geiser than since your calling me kid? no im not gonna sink there, just let it go if you dont want to help me out
fullerene
3/24/08 8:20:47AM
Where do you live?

The reason I ask is that there is a different quality and cost of training in some styles depending on your location. Your standup/striking should be fine with a solid Muay Thai background. Boxing or "MMA striking" could be a part of your workout, but I don't see you at any disadvantage vs. most fighters on your feet if you stick with what you already know from MT.

The most important thing for you to learn next is some type of takedown-based wrestling/grappling. This helps you determine where an MMA fight takes place. 90% of the time it will probably mean trying to stay on your feet and use your MT, but it also gives you the option of trying to take a guy down if you get caught up there. For most people based in the U.S. amateur wrestling offerst the best competition and instruction and, if you start younger than you did (sorry), it can be done for free. There are still a lot of low-cost clubs with good competitiors, though. If you live in Japan, Korea or maybe Europe or parts of the U.S. west coast then Judo is a good substitute for wrestling and it has the advantage of adding some submissino skills as well. Sambo would be the same deal, but even harder to find a decent school.

You will also need to learn how to defend against submissions and hopefully apply them yourself (defeding is easier than applying). BJJ is the most popular style for this, but I would go to whatever school has the best quality instruction and students you trust and seem in good shape. In addition to BJJ, Judo, Sambo and catch wrestling (or no-gi grappling, MMA grappling, etc.) are styles that can teach you this part of the game if you get with the right group of people.

If you're lucky, you might be able to get both of those areas, plus some MT practice, at an MMA school/gym. A good gym like this should have instruction on different parts of the game in different classes at different times, plus some sparring/instruction to put them together in an MMA context. I generally think that the instructino at individual schools is still better today than the instruction you find at MMA schools--which often lack good teachers at some parts of the game--but it all depends on the school.
GoldenJonas
3/24/08 10:03:44AM
Hmmm.

You are 24 years old.

You have a 27-1 amateur MT record with 21 KO's (you said you live near a Team Quest Gym and mentioned being able to roll/train with Hendo; this would mean you are in California).

You have a BJJ Blue Belt (under who?) and that you you think you will get your first Pro or Am MMA fight by the time you get your black belt. This means that assuming you get your Purple next week, you don't plan on actually jumping in to the MMA ring for another 4-8 years depending on your grappling ability and training time for just BJJ.

A BJJ blue belt with a 27-1 amateur MT record and admitted knowledge of the necessity of wrestling for take-down and take-down defense?

If those are in fact your credential and training/fighting experience you have answered your own question.

I believe Omega is spot on in his questioning. It seems odd that a person with your training experience and knowledge would need to come on a Fantasy MMA board and ask a question to which he already knows the answer to.
Ronin74
3/24/08 10:47:31AM
I have to agree with Omega and GJ, with the wealth of experience you are claiming to have there should be no need for you to come here and ask anyone for direction.

Who did you receive your Blue belt from?
Do you have any videos of your fights available for viewing?

You're taking Omega's questions too personally.

You have to understand that there are numerous people on the internet making claims very similar to yours that are outright liars. So when you show up with a 27-1 record and a BJJ blue belt naturally some people are going to request that you back up your claims with some proof.

In most cases when individuals are unwilling or unable to provide proof, it's because they're lying. Judging by your previous responses you are inadvertently placing yourself in the same group as all the liars. If you have acommplished what you claim you have then there should be no problem providing evidence to back it up.
Omega
3/24/08 12:54:58PM

Sent by WhiteWidow

i never said pro, its amatuer muay thai man, im not the one acting like a kid and yes you are calling me a liar by saying "why dont you be honest about experience" thats insulting do you not understand?

i did all i could to be nice i dont see your line between acting like a kid and an adult, that does not give you the right to say that and call me kid, when i act nicely about being insulted, ya know.

all i wanted was some pointers on what i should work for MMA and not some wannabe know it all talking down to me with hostility, please show respect i didnt do anything wrong, this is seriously getting stupid. if you have nothing nice to say why dont you just swallow your pride and be quiet im not a liar and am not the one acting childish and you know it

Thanks for the PM.

Ironic and hypocritical of you. Swallow my pride? Look in the mirror. Now, I'm calling you a liar. I don't believe you. You live in the Temecula area according to the information you've presented to me.

Definition of a wannabe is a person who wants to do something but doesn't. I've fought professionally. You can find my record. I have a mma team and kickboxing team, 3 of them are fighting in Vegas in 2 weeks. I'm living it.

You say you've fought amateur, produce your license. Send it to me in a pdf.

BTW I just checked your IP. You're nowhere near a Team Quest camp unless you do a lot of moving around.
casey64
3/24/08 1:21:21PM
I have to agree with Omega sounds a bit dreamy to me
Svartorm
3/24/08 1:38:54PM

Posted by Omega
BTW I just checked your IP. You're nowhere near a Team Quest camp unless you do a lot of moving around.

Oh snap!
Rush
3/24/08 1:46:43PM
Oooh, this thread got interesting.
Pookie
3/24/08 1:50:45PM
GoldenJonas
3/24/08 2:43:02PM

Posted by Omega

Where did it come up at?...I would look myself but I have NO IDEA how.
Rush
3/24/08 3:08:18PM

Posted by GoldenJonas

Posted by Omega

Where did it come up at?...I would look myself but I have NO IDEA how.

Some forums actually post your IP publicly, but Svar is a mod, so I'm sure he has access to information that the rest of us do not.
CactusBob
3/24/08 3:34:57PM

Posted by Rush

Oooh, this thread got interesting.

I thought it was interesting from the first post.
I'll leave him alone, I figure everyone has already covered what needs to be addressed. A good read though.
Rush
3/24/08 3:46:53PM

Posted by CactusBob

I thought it was interesting from the first post.
I'll leave him alone, I figure everyone has already covered what needs to be addressed. A good read though.

Well, these threads start up at a rate of about once a week (or so) and a lot of them not only end up getting the same replies (hence why I voted for a sticky with all the usual suspects' opinions on the matter), but half the time the original poster doesn't seem to come back.

I typically do not answer the MMA (specific) training threads because I have never trained at an MMA school, so I've been ignoring this thread for a few days now.

I agree with the bulk of the comments though. To the thread starter, if you are legit, you need to help everyone, help you. We are all here to offer advice, but nobody wants to type in vain.
WhiteWidow
3/24/08 6:22:37PM

Posted by Omega

Sent by WhiteWidow

i never said pro, its amatuer muay thai man, im not the one acting like a kid and yes you are calling me a liar by saying "why dont you be honest about experience" thats insulting do you not understand?

i did all i could to be nice i dont see your line between acting like a kid and an adult, that does not give you the right to say that and call me kid, when i act nicely about being insulted, ya know.

all i wanted was some pointers on what i should work for MMA and not some wannabe know it all talking down to me with hostility, please show respect i didnt do anything wrong, this is seriously getting stupid. if you have nothing nice to say why dont you just swallow your pride and be quiet im not a liar and am not the one acting childish and you know it

Thanks for the PM.

Ironic and hypocritical of you. Swallow my pride? Look in the mirror. Now, I'm calling you a liar. I don't believe you. You live in the Temecula area according to the information you've presented to me.

Definition of a wannabe is a person who wants to do something but doesn't. I've fought professionally. You can find my record. I have a mma team and kickboxing team, 3 of them are fighting in Vegas in 2 weeks. I'm living it.

You say you've fought amateur, produce your license. Send it to me in a pdf.

recently move but not there, do you really have nothing else to do? why are you telling me who i am? this is really creepy, first im a liar now your telling me where i live? k im just gonna call you a liar since you did, now youve lost all respect, i tried to be nice and calm but your impossible to reason with at no point did i act childish and you threaten to ban me if i send any more PM's, why? because your disposition has been challenged? that pretty petty man, i dont have to prove anything to some nobody online, all i did was ask for help and your being a like that, thanks for nothing.... end of thread
Omega
3/24/08 6:27:44PM
Post # 3 kid. And I Quote:

"im avid at working at everything and i appreciate the advice, to work on the wrestling / takedown defense and some camps, i now live close to team quest actually so working with hendo and them cant hurt, im working toward my BJJ purple belt soon so i feel by the time i get into amatuer or pro MMA i'll have a black belt"

You're a liar kid. You've been caught. Now go home and cry to your mom.

BTW we're talking about you on bullshido too.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67799
WhiteWidow
3/24/08 6:29:30PM

Posted by Omega

Post # 3 kid. And I Quote:

"im avid at working at everything and i appreciate the advice, to work on the wrestling / takedown defense and some camps, i now live close to team quest actually so working with hendo and them cant hurt, im working toward my BJJ purple belt soon so i feel by the time i get into amatuer or pro MMA i'll have a black belt"

You're a liar kid. You've been caught. Now go home and cry to your mom.

BTW we're talking about you on bullshido too.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67799

oh wow you really got me, ohh no ive been caught by the guy with nothing else to do, oh snap bring it on bro this is now hilarious
WhiteWidow
3/24/08 6:35:19PM
you really dont have much to do huh, i live nowhere near that your a spiteful child with nothing else to do but try to make me sound bad because you disagree, i dont really care man, you have now turned a simple request into a hilarious thing....what else you got? you havnt even come close, i'm waiting bro, talk all the smack you want where you at? whos the child here? thats what i thought
Omega
3/24/08 6:41:03PM

Posted by WhiteWidow

you really dont have much to do huh, i live nowhere near that your a spiteful child with nothing else to do but try to make me sound bad because you disagree, i dont really care man, you have now turned a simple request into a hilarious thing....what else you got? you havnt even come close, i'm waiting bro, talk all the smack you want where you at? whos the child here? thats what i thought

I do believe I'm the one using proper grammar.
Pookie
3/24/08 6:42:21PM

Posted by Omega

Posted by WhiteWidow

I do believe I'm the one using proper grammar.

ouch.
WhiteWidow
3/24/08 6:43:54PM
is that it? no more ball busters?
Pages: [1] 2