MMA - An Acquired Taste

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA - An Acquired Taste
Bubbles
12/15/11 10:07:22AM
this is a very well written, objective, article about experiencing a live UFC event for the first time...maybe the first MMA event he ever watched. this is written by Michael Grange from Sportsnet, who is slowly becoming one of my favourite sports journalists to read. its a little long but well worth the read. Grange may still not be a fan of the sport afterwards, but this may be one of the most unbiased and objective articles from a non-MMA fan you will ever read.

link
FlashyG
12/15/11 12:06:59PM
I can't really disagree with him.

I also have trouble watching arms/legs get snapped, (though I don't have a problem with watching guys get choked out.) Its unfortunate for him that he happened to be at an event with such a gruesome injury, and multiple technical submissions.

Every sport has its critics, and thus far most articles I read criticizing MMA come off as uninformed, this one doesn't and I respect his opinion completely
prozacnation1978
12/15/11 1:32:41PM
Blood and broken limbs don't bother me at all watching
Fighters are warriors!!
Boo_Radley21
12/15/11 1:34:52PM
I can't take broken bones either that Mir vs Nogueira fight made me cringe
pmoney
12/16/11 5:02:38AM
What Mir did to Big Nog was a thing of beauty, IMO. I am not a Mir fan, but words can not describe the excellence of that victory.

The only thing I don't like to see in this sport are fights that go on longer than necessary. You know, those fights where you think "the ref is supposed to look out for the fighters safety, not just stop the fight after someone is beaten to death."

Bedford-Gaudinot and Velasquez-Rothwell are the only examples I can think of right now. It's early......
FlashyG
12/16/11 10:49:08AM

Posted by pmoney

What Mir did to Big Nog was a thing of beauty, IMO. I am not a Mir fan, but words can not describe the excellence of that victory.

The victory and the submission were awesome, but the injury itself was gruesome and for some of us difficult to watch.

I can see how a new fan would have trouble getting past that.
calitrees
12/16/11 12:22:48PM
Very good read, my favorite part was how he compared UFC to Roman Gladiators. This is a great comparison that ive often thought about myself, the UFC is just a tamer verson of Gladiators with the death and weapons taken out. The primal instincts of humans, for the most part men, love too see who the biggest baddest guy is.Thousands of people going nuts in a stadium watching two warriors battling it out. I cant get enough of it.
bjj1605
12/16/11 3:44:09PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by pmoney

The victory and the submission were awesome, but the injury itself was gruesome and for some of us difficult to watch.

I can see how a new fan would have trouble getting past that.

Ya, I love submissions, as many of you know.

When I saw that I was like "Wow!! Beautiful!!" And then I shuddered and vomited in my mouth.