MLB Postseason 2009

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » MLB Postseason 2009
POLL: What team takes it all??
Yankees 29% (7)
Dodgers 13% (3)
Phillies 17% (4)
Red Sox 4% (1)
Cardinals 21% (5)
Rockies/Angels/Tigers* (specify) 17% (4)
Ordep
10/1/09 9:19:43PM
Teams are set!!! But the Braves aren't there

Anyways' it's on! October Baseball and nothing better than weekends NCAA and NFL action overlapping with some weekdays MLB Playoffs.

NLDS
Rockies vs. Philies
Dodgers vs. Cardinals

AL
Yankees vs. Twins
Angels vs. Red Sox

Something to say about this? shoot.

I'm saying ANGELS

*****Since the Poll won't allow for 8 options i chose the 5 team with the best regular season record (as of Oct 1st 9:15pm) so don't feel bad if your team is in the "Other" choice, it's not that they don't have potential to win it all. That also explain why it says TIGERS and not TWINS.
hotrodttt
10/1/09 9:34:45PM
It will be the Angels and the Cardinals in the WS and the Angels will take it in 6
Bowen50
10/1/09 9:54:28PM
Yankees Vs. Phillies in the series. Yanks take it in 5
SpiderSilva
10/1/09 10:01:50PM
Go rockies! They have been amazing and they still have a chance to win the NL west all I can say is their hot as can be and no matter who they play the rockies are gonna scare any team oh yeah

GO ROCKIES!!!!!!

Just a reminder today is Rocktober 1st
Nightmare27
10/1/09 10:18:18PM
Dodgers all the way!!
vinny_cro_cop_q
10/1/09 10:40:32PM
Yanks/Cards Yanks in 5
Twenty20Dollars
10/1/09 10:59:01PM
I dont see the Tigers/Twins beating the Yankees
I see the Angels finally beating the Red Sox
Yankeers beats Angels

Idk the NL match ups, but I like the Dodgers vs Cards in the championship series and I like the Cards getting to the series.

Yankeers vs Cards, Cards in 6. Even though Im a royals fans, I guess I will root for the cards, I would like to see the angels or dodgers win it, but im picking the cards.
Shawn91111
10/2/09 7:45:20AM
Yankees vs Cards....Yankees in 6
emfleek
10/2/09 8:42:15AM
It's all about pitching.

Cardinals vs. Yankees

Yankees in 7
AchillesHeel
10/2/09 12:58:09PM

Posted by emfleek

It's all about pitching.

Cardinals vs. Yankees

Yankees in 7

Home field advantage could be pretty big for the Yanks, if they make it to the Series. That aside, I like St. Louis' SP trio better than New York's. And if the Red Sox can reverse their recent form, they could beat New York in the ALCS (they look better on paper, but have played like crap lately).

Detroit doesn't quite need a miracle to beat New York, although I haven't followed their pitching rotation closely enough to see if they could get Verlander and/or Jackson to pitch twice. 3 starts in 5 games out of those two is their best shot at an upset. The Angels should lose the ALDS to Boston, like they do every year...

Philadelphia stepped up to the buffet of mediocre teams during the regular season, and barely had a winning record against good teams. Colorado has finished the season strong, which I think tends to bode well for the playoffs, although the Dodgers have superior pitching and their lineup is only marginally inferior to the Rocks'.

Both NL West teams do much better against righties, which means they might actually prefer to see St. Louis in the NLDS. Philly's rotation is loaded with southpaws, and if Lee and Hamels can find the clutch, they could be a 7-inning lawnmower against the Dodgers or Rockies. I haven't looked at the left/right splits, but Tulowitzki is CO's only dangerous right-handed hitter, and James Loney and Andre Ethier are both lefties. St Louis has a couple of good lefties in the bullpen, though, which makes late-game situational matchups better for them. Either way, I see St. Louis over Philly in the NLCS.

As an aside, I noticed that Albert Pujols led St. Louis in steals, in addition to games played, plate appearances, hits, doubles, homers, runs, and RBI.
cowcatcher
10/2/09 2:22:06PM
its hard to pick anyone but the yanks and cards. ill say the yanks win it in 6 or 7.
Shawn91111
10/2/09 3:09:50PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by emfleek

It's all about pitching.

Cardinals vs. Yankees

Yankees in 7

Home field advantage could be pretty big for the Yanks, if they make it to the Series. That aside, I like St. Louis' SP trio better than New York's. And if the Red Sox can reverse their recent form, they could beat New York in the ALCS (they look better on paper, but have played like crap lately).

Detroit doesn't quite need a miracle to beat New York, although I haven't followed their pitching rotation closely enough to see if they could get Verlander and/or Jackson to pitch twice. 3 starts in 5 games out of those two is their best shot at an upset. The Angels should lose the ALDS to Boston, like they do every year...

Philadelphia stepped up to the buffet of mediocre teams during the regular season, and barely had a winning record against good teams. Colorado has finished the season strong, which I think tends to bode well for the playoffs, although the Dodgers have superior pitching and their lineup is only marginally inferior to the Rocks'.

Both NL West teams do much better against righties, which means they might actually prefer to see St. Louis in the NLDS. Philly's rotation is loaded with southpaws, and if Lee and Hamels can find the clutch, they could be a 7-inning lawnmower against the Dodgers or Rockies. I haven't looked at the left/right splits, but Tulowitzki is CO's only dangerous right-handed hitter, and James Loney and Andre Ethier are both lefties. St Louis has a couple of good lefties in the bullpen, though, which makes late-game situational matchups better for them. Either way, I see St. Louis over Philly in the NLCS.

As an aside, I noticed that Albert Pujols led St. Louis in steals, in addition to games played, plate appearances, hits, doubles, homers, runs, and RBI.

While I agree to a point the Cards top 2 not 3 are better than the Yanks, there isnt a huge gap its pretty close. CC has been lights out in the second half even more so than Carp and Wainwright. Plus the fact he pitches in the AL East. Im not a fan of Pineiro and think the true Joel will come back sooner or later. Im not sure I quite trust Burnett just yet, but his stuff when he is on is absolutely amazing.

Im a bit worried about a short series vs Detroit as well for the Yanks. Although they beat both Verlander and Jackson this year they have been very good with Verlander mixed in for a few Cy Young votes. I think Detroit just doesnt have the offense to help them vs the Yanks
submissionartist1
10/4/09 6:34:55PM
MMA MMA MMA MMA MMA MMA
Violentcuv
10/5/09 4:53:48PM
My team is the Dodgers so I hope they can make it to the World Series. They have hit a cold spell here lately though and the Cardinals have been great this year especially since they acquired Matt Holiday. If the Dodgers dont get there I think it will be the Cardinals.
higdon10
10/5/09 11:10:28PM
Cards over the Red Sox in 6.
pv3Hpv3p
10/6/09 4:16:06PM
Where the hell are the Twins???

MN over StL in 7, you heard it here first
Ordep
10/6/09 5:13:32PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Where the hell are the Twins???

MN over StL in 7, you heard it here first

read
AchillesHeel
10/7/09 12:12:26PM
Fun game in Minneapolis last night. Good way to start the post-season. Colorado and Philadelphia lace up the gloves in about 2 hours...

Ubaldo Jimenez...
- hasn't pitched against the Phils this season.
- pitched 1 game against Philly in the '07 NLDS: 6.1 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 1 HR, 4 BB, 5 K.
- averaged 6-2/3 innings in 33 started this season, with a 1.22 WHIP, 8 K/9, and a 130 ERA+.
- hasn't faced anyone in the Phillies' current lineup more than 6 PAs.

Cliff Lee...
- pitched once against the Rocks this season, August 6th: 7 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 0 HR, 1 BB, 9 K.
- averaged 6-2/3 innings in 34 starts this year, with a 1.24 WHIP, 7 K/9, and a 138 ERA+.
- averaged 6-2/3 innings in 12 starts for the Phillies, with a 1.13 WHIP, 8 K/9, and a 126 ERA+.
- has only pitched more than 4 PAs against one Rockie, Jason Giambi, who went 3-for-10 with 1 HR in 12 PAs.

The Rockies...
- hit .253 / .335 / .430 against left-handed pitchers this year (103 OPS+).
- hit .235 / .319 / .399 on the road (96 OPS+).

The Phillies...
- hit .262 / .334 / .445 against righties this year (107+).
- hit .263 / .341 / .455 at home (106+).
AchillesHeel
10/10/09 9:23:57PM
So St. Louis' lineup was even worse than I though it was. I don't know how they won so many games, or why Poo was walked intentionally "only" 44 times.
Shawn91111
10/10/09 9:34:47PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

So St. Louis' lineup was even worse than I though it was. I don't know how they won so many games, or why Poo was walked intentionally "only" 44 times.

Cards didnt really hit against the Dodgers in the regular season either. I think everyone, me included, thought their pitching would carry them. In a previous post I said I thought the old Pineiro would return sometime and he got knocked around tonight. Padilla had a good year away from the hitters park in Arlington and had a good game. Game 2 set the tone, you cant leave that many men on base and be 0-9 with RISP and expect to win.
higdon10
10/12/09 10:46:16PM
Colorado's bullpen was awful tonight.
Ordep
10/13/09 12:32:23AM

Posted by higdon10

Colorado's bullpen was awful tonight.

and Brad Lidge didn't blow it
AchillesHeel
10/28/09 6:40:58PM
NPR did a brief story this afternoon about how much tonight's World Series game sucks for Cleveland fans: Cliff Lee vs. C.C. Sabathia.