should mixed martial arts become an olympic sport

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » should mixed martial arts become an olympic sport
ultimatefighter33
7/5/07 2:04:04AM
i think it should i mean there are all fighter from around the globe different weight divisions u know it would be great for fighters to represent thier own country in such a respectful and down right awesome sport
InkedUp
7/5/07 7:44:59AM
They got Judo, boxing, and wrestling as Olympic sports, so why not just roll em all into one and be done with it?
DoTheMMAth
7/5/07 7:54:39AM
If they did, I think it would wind up like other professional Olympic sports where the pro's seldom show up. Sure, there may be some patriotic fighters that would do it for the love of their country, but I'm willing to bet that the larger number of fighters would rather not risk injury or take time away from their focus to make money and increase their stock in the MMA organization they are trying to climb to the top of.
DJDark41
7/5/07 12:24:19PM
Randy Couture+Matt Hughes+Rich Franklin=Team USA.
Fedor=Team Russia.
GSP=Team Canada.

Guess who would win the gold, every damn time.

I think it would be cool to see it as an Olympic sport, but it might be considered too violent for the Olympics, but I've seen more violence in Olympic hockey then I have in recent MMA fights. I vote yes, but I think it won't happen.
v1y
7/5/07 3:03:36PM
no. since a fighter would have to win like 5-6 fights to win the tournament, you'd either have to make the fights really short, or risk serious injury to the fighters for having to fight so many times.

same reason why football (nfl) will never be an olympic sport, because a single game is just far too physically taxing.
Ultimate_fighter
7/5/07 3:16:04PM
I think this would be great becuz they could have the best fighters from each country fighting eachother.. but.. this probably will never happen..
AchillesHeel
7/5/07 3:20:21PM

Posted by v1y

no. since a fighter would have to win like 5-6 fights to win the tournament, you'd either have to make the fights really short, or risk serious injury to the fighters for having to fight so many times.

Excellent point. The Olympics are, what, 2 weeks? 3 weeks? If you could somehow arrange the tournament so that a fighter "only" had to fight 3 times to win the Gold/Silver, that would still be a lot.

Does anyone know how Olympic boxing works? How many fights does a guy have to win to get the Gold medal?
Rush
7/8/07 12:40:24PM

Posted by v1y

same reason why football (nfl) will never be an olympic sport, because a single game is just far too physically taxing.

My thoughts exactly.