Mixed Martial Arts - Rousey to spearhead UFC female league

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mixed Martial Arts - Rousey to spearhead UFC female league
Rabi
10/25/12 4:45:56PM
The burgeoning superstar remains under contract to Strikeforce, but Rousey's performance in 2012 has convinced UFC president Dana White to add a women's division to the sport's flagship brand.

Rousey still has three fights on her Strikeforce contract, White told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday, and will fulfil that deal before she moves to the UFC. Sports Illustrated first reported Tuesday that the UFC would add women.

Yahoo
Chael_Sonnen
10/25/12 4:51:22PM
Female League - - - - I guess that leaves Cyborg out then
Budgellism
10/25/12 5:00:05PM
Imo Women's mma isn't nearly ready for this yet.
scoozna
10/25/12 5:12:10PM

Posted by Budgellism

Yeah, i agree...Dana qualified his comments by recognizing that he's not sure of the "timing" of this, but even if it doesn't start for a year, it seems premature.
Manak
10/25/12 5:47:50PM

Posted by scoozna

Posted by Budgellism

Yeah, i agree...Dana qualified his comments by recognizing that he's not sure of the "timing" of this, but even if it doesn't start for a year, it seems premature.

wmma doesnt have the depth to be in the UFC , only rousey could make a living fighting in the UFC all the others would be so inactive they better have another means of income. not to mention it barely has enough for contender matches so rousey would just keep facing no bodies. in wmma it would be better if ufc let grow 1st in another league otherwise they have to let the other fighters fight in other leagues then once they have a streak come in to fight rousey for the UFC title. but we all know they dont non-exclusive contracts
shaneTpain
10/25/12 6:11:12PM
sounds good to me. put the ring cards down & put on some gloves ladies
infestructure
10/25/12 6:23:02PM
Maybe it will grow just because it made it to the UFC. I'm not that keen on it, especially if they replace male fights with female ones. I'd rather have a separate female UFC than both genders on the same card.

tcunningham
10/25/12 6:29:55PM
the timing isnt great for this but they dont have to put on tons of female fights. maybe one fight per card or every other card to begin with. i can imagine a rousey vs cyborg fight could be instore for us but in the ufc maybe
kingsmasher
10/25/12 6:31:46PM

Posted by Budgellism

I agree, he said there were not enough women for divisions before but now there is and referred to 3 fights but those three fights had relatively the same people in them...Basically there are 3 women relevant and cyborg...
Gogoplatapus
10/25/12 6:51:28PM
Yuck.
kingsmasher
10/25/12 6:53:12PM
As long as they arent trying to sell these as co main event but I bet the UFC will
jae_1833
10/25/12 7:50:24PM
So if the UFC is going to build a WMMA league how are they going to do it? The only thing I can see them doing is basically a hostile take over of Invicta. Strikeforce is already owned so their roster is golden. Their is still a lack of depth in the three main weight divisions though (145, 135, 125).
tallica62
10/25/12 8:07:46PM
Didn't the last article including Dana White have him say "I swear on the soul of the world that there will never ever be women in the UFC. Hulk Hogan will be a UFC champ before there are women"...or something to that effect
ghandikush
10/25/12 10:29:02PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Female League - - - - I guess that leaves Cyborg out then

It means Chael will make an excellent first contender to Rousey. Rd2 Sub
frizzzlecake
10/26/12 3:02:09AM
State_Champ
10/26/12 7:07:42AM
WMMA has to start somewhere.

MMAcca
10/26/12 8:38:08AM
As soon as the UFC gets Rousey out of her Showtime contract, they will likely do her versus Cyborg, but then what ?

After Cyborg/Ronda there aren't any other intriguing matchups in WMMA for the foreseeable future.

The article is a little misleading, as Dana said himself many times that there will be no 'women's division' until the quality of WMMA improves considerably.
airkerma
10/26/12 9:53:04AM
I agree that at this point the depth may be lacking, unless they can somehow steal every decent wmma from all the other organisations.
However, this opens up a fantastic possibility for me to become a ring man...I can't wait for tryouts, I haven't had a carb in 10 years!
ghandikush
10/26/12 11:59:53AM

Posted by MMAcca

As soon as the UFC gets Rousey out of her Showtime contract, they will likely do her versus Cyborg, but then what ?

After Cyborg/Ronda there aren't any other intriguing matchups in WMMA for the foreseeable future.

The article is a little misleading, as Dana said himself many times that there will be no 'women's division' until the quality of WMMA improves considerably.

3 years and 2 purchased womens orgs later and we will have a 140 pound womens division.
calitrees
10/26/12 12:10:06PM
I love womans MMA the fights are bad ass. I went to a smaller show and the womans fight was the best fight of the night, two girls who knew how to punch went toe to toe in the center till one got slept.

I think Dana just likes Rousey. He doesnt see anyone beating her and shes already popular. I doubt we see a fight without her in it on a main card. IT could build popularity with the fans who have never seen woman scraps so i like it.
bjj1605
10/26/12 1:28:38PM
I'm not really a fan of WMMA at all but I wish them luck.
Cooler
10/26/12 5:34:47PM

Posted by Budgellism

And flyweight was? At least the women can headline big cards...

Dominick Cruz and Mighty Mouse basically have no drawing power

While Carano (probably retired) and Rousey filled stadiums
Cooler
10/26/12 5:36:32PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Yuck.

lol But you like to watch sweaty men roll around...hmmm, think we just learned something..
Cooler
10/27/12 7:56:36PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by MMAcca

3 years and 2 purchased womens orgs later and we will have a 140 pound womens division.

There is no way this is going to take 3 years, 1 year tops.
crushedbacon
10/28/12 2:06:38AM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Yuck.

lol But you like to watch sweaty men roll around...hmmm, think we just learned something..

I learnt that Gogo focuses on the skill level and the competition, well somebody else's attention might be elsewhere. To each there own though.

Double Yuck.
Cooler
10/28/12 4:17:16AM

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by Cooler

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Yuck.

I learnt that Gogo focuses on the skill level and the competition, well somebody else's attention might be elsewhere. To each there own though.

Double Yuck.

Just find saying yuck to WMMA.. ironic

Let me put it this way, could we agree that Rousey could break professional mens arms around her weight class at least?
Wolfenstein
10/29/12 2:28:18AM
I think it's awesome. Woman's MMA always seems to have really exciting bouts. They're not ready for PPV, but I'd love to see them on the FX, Fuel, and Fox shows.
MMAcca
10/30/12 5:52:28PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by MMAcca

There is no way this is going to take 3 years, 1 year tops.

One year to create an entire female division in the UFC ?!?!

May i ask how you propose the UFC attempts this ?
prozacnation1978
10/30/12 10:07:44PM
I'm not so keen on female MMA in Ufc
I wouldn't ever travel for a female main event ever
I like the fights I'm strikeforce. But Ufc has enough weight classes