Mitrione Wants to Fight "Arrogant" UFC Champ Jon Jones

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mitrione Wants to Fight "Arrogant" UFC Champ Jon Jones
gartface
9/6/12 1:10:27PM
Matt Mitrione has told the UFC he will happily welcome Jon Jones to the heavyweight division, if the reigning light-heavyweight champion decides to make the move up a level.

Mitrione admits he used to be a fan of Jones, but changed his mind due to the recent cancellation of UFC 151. Jones turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen on eight days' notice, costing the company and fellow fighters significant amounts of money.

Link

Wasn't sure if this was deemed news, so it's just in the UFC forum for now.
airkerma
9/6/12 1:18:05PM
Meh, I think it's newsy enough for this week. He makes some good points, but I don't agree with his analogy between Jones and the HWs that didn't turn down any fights. It simply isn't accurate. I would definitely like to see this fight, though I have a hard time believing it would ever happen. He has some good power and good enough stand up, on top of being a big dude, and could very well be able to get inside and land some good shots.
pmoney
9/6/12 1:55:14PM
I actually like his analogy with the heavyweights a lot. If you look at UFC 146, and the all HW main card they wanted to make, it's amazing they pulled it off. Alistair pissed hot, and I think there were a couple injuries, and they shuffled that HW deck very thoroughly. Somehow the main card stayed all HW, and it was arguably the best event of the year.

JDS took on Mir instead of Overeem. But I think the lesser paid guys put more on the line. If a Jon Jones or a JDS losses, they still get big money fights. They still get lucrative opportunities on their way back to the top. Compare that to the HW who are fighting in a much more dangerous division. If you are one of the guys making 10-20k a fight though, those losses hurt more. You fall farther down the ladder. You risk being cut. Yet a lot of guys took that risk for the company that pays them. Jon Jones won't show his company or fellow fighters the same consideration he has been shown though. Jones is a fucking scumbag.

thevoodooninja
9/6/12 2:18:04PM
P$ I owe u endless props for that last sentence
pmoney
9/6/12 2:24:29PM

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

P$ I owe u endless props for that last sentence

Thanks Voodoo! I really just need to stop replying to Jon Jones threads...

FastKnockout
9/6/12 2:45:36PM
Jones vs. Mitrione would remind me of Silva vs. Irvin at LHW. A stepping stone to ease the champion's way into a new division.

EDIT: Just read the artice. Apparently Mitrione thinks the same thing.
Twenty20Dollars
9/6/12 3:35:45PM
Once again everyone throws all the blame on Jones.
infestructure
9/6/12 5:12:11PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah. They should be throwing 20% of it on Greg Jackson, and 5% on Hendo. and then the other 75%, along with a few heavy objects, on Jones.
Aether
9/6/12 6:45:37PM
Looks like everyone and their dog will be calling out Jones for ridiculous fights that will never ever happen to get their names in the news for the next little while.
Twenty20Dollars
9/6/12 8:50:45PM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah. They should be throwing 20% of it on Greg Jackson, and 5% on Hendo. and then the other 75%, along with a few heavy objects, on Jones.

And Uncle Dana. The one who cancelled the card.
aussiemma
9/6/12 11:15:11PM

Posted by pmoney

Jones is a fucking scumbag.

haha love it ! pmoney's inner demon coming out.