Mirko in his new cage

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Mirko in his new cage
cmill21
8/9/07 3:39:37PM

From what I've heard 50% of Mirko's standup has changed, and is now more suited to the cage. Bonjasky and Yvel have helped a ton in transforming it, as now there are 3 of the absolute best strikers in the world helping each other out, there all figureing how to best circle and utilize the cage. Hopefully bad news for kongo
Rua22
8/9/07 3:50:12PM
MUST BE NICE! freakin Bonjask and Yvel as your training partners. good stuff.
fedorwins1
8/9/07 3:52:49PM
Good to see that CC is taking it serious, RIP KONGO
cmill21
8/9/07 3:53:38PM
If I were Mirko i'd be more worried about getting KO'd in sparring then in my fight against kongo lol.
Mastodon2
8/9/07 3:53:59PM
Imagine how intimidating it must be to be in a cage with Mirko
the_Advocate
8/9/07 3:55:02PM
good to see him enlisting the talents of Bojansky....the clinch game is one of Kongo's strong points and something that could frustrate Mirko...... good to see that he is looking at the fight in a more cerebral manner.....and not taking Kongo lightly.
LR
8/9/07 4:01:58PM
I'm still waiting for MoJoy to chime in.. I need to hear what he has to say about this. It must be blasphemy to him.
cmill21
8/9/07 4:03:59PM
Hahaha. Theres three fighters at this camp better then gg, not counting ricco of course.
LR
8/9/07 4:07:39PM
LOL, yeah, and Vera could beat them all, cuz ya know, he's rnaked #3 on his list. LAWL
cmill21
8/9/07 4:09:44PM

I'll post the site with all the info on it if you guys pm me, but it's all in croatian and it's to long to translate it all. But let me know if you know croatian and would like to read it!
the_Advocate
8/9/07 4:14:24PM

Posted by cmill21

Hahaha. Theres three fighters at this camp better then gg, not counting ricco of course.

i'm assuming this is filled w/ sarcasm.....the 3 said fighters are fine in training for Kongo but useless for the most part against some of his potential opponents...Mirko needs to focus on his ground game....we already know his capabilities on the feet so a realignment of his training focus needs to come or we will forever see Mirko "the brides maid"
cmill21
8/9/07 4:22:55PM
Right now he's training 80/20. He's doing what he calls punishment training, Ivan is coaching everyone of his practices(Mirko himself used to do alot of them alone). He's also doing alot more technical training then just sparring now that Yvel and Bonjasky are there to help. I see a wedding coming up very soon :)

EDIT: screwed up on training ration.
the_Advocate
8/9/07 4:32:25PM

Posted by cmill21

Right now he's training 50/50. He's doing what he calls punishment training, Ivan is coaching everyone of his practices(Mirko himself used to do alot of them alone). He's also doing alot more technical training then just sparring now that Yvel and Bonjasky are there to help. I see a wedding coming up very soon :)

i sincerely hope so...his last "marriage" (pride gp crown) ended in an ugly divorce thanks to the Gonzaga affair!
cmill21
8/9/07 4:38:32PM
Here comes the translation:

"After he was beat up by the Dutch masters of stand-up fighting this tuesday Mirko decided to invite us to his fighting (?).
- You have to see how we are fighting. Man, I'm so tired I can't lift my arms.

And that's the truth. Mirko's sparring fights look better than most competitions since his sparring partners are the Dutch Bonjasky and Yvel, American Lister and Czech Hron. And this gladiator atmosphere is amplified by the cage from the US assembled last week.
- Because the original cage can't fit in my basement they assembled this 6m in diameter cage for me, explains Mirko.

The cage worth $25000 was a gift to Mirko from the specialized american constructor Throwdown. Mirko's cage was assembled by Brent Stuchlik and Ari Hagen.
- We assembled the same octagon for Quinton Jackson, Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture.

But none of the them has the cage in their basement.
- We love the way Mirko fights and we gave the cage to him.

The guys cruised the Croatian coast after the assembly and realized then what Mirko means to the croatians.
- I can see that you are proud of him, just as you should be proud of your cuisine. I'm crazy about the cheese from Pag, Stuchlik added.

Also impressed by Croatia was the fighter they call Uragan, Gilbert Yvel.
- I was in Russia and also in some other eastern European countries and I have to admit that I was expecting something similar. But Croatia definitely looks more like Europe than Russia. We were surprised by how many people recognized Remy.

And Remy is really a gentleman, something you would not believe if you see him kick. He rushed Mirko with an amazing arsenal of kicks. Also, he is a two time champion in K-1 and Crocop has been spending too much time training grappling in the last years.
- Because of the hard training of grappling techniques Mirko has lost a lot of his stand up skill. I'd say maybe up to 50%. On top of that, all these years he was running his own trainings and he expressed his wish to have me yell at him so that he can get used to instructions from ringside, said trainer Ivan Hyppolite.

His apprentice Remy Bonjasky was impressed with Mirko's training hall.
- It's great to have something like that in your own house. We you go to train you just go downstairs and when you're done you're in your living room in a second."

Thats the best I can do, sorry guys the whole interview is very long. The 50% is compared to his K-1 days. So i'm going to say kongo better be ready for a different level of strikes.
cmill21
8/9/07 5:58:21PM
Oh and I forgot to let people know kharitonov didn't come, Mirko felt he had more then enough with Bonjasky, Yvel and Lister. This is the most excited I've been for a fight in a long time!!! WOOOOO
george112
8/9/07 6:05:14PM

Posted by LR

I'm still waiting for MoJoy to chime in.. I need to hear what he has to say about this. It must be blasphemy to him.

i was thinking the same thing...but yea it is good to see mirko training harder than ever with some of the best strikers in the world and also properly getting used to the cage
TOMMYAYO05
8/9/07 6:28:36PM
I tell you what at first i was thinking kongo is going to take this but i might just have to change my pick after seeing how serious crocop is taking this now...GOOD JOB CC
Mastodon2
8/9/07 6:48:41PM
Imagine if this head line came up

"News just in, Kongo gets his own cage constructed, brings in Fedor, Josh Barnett, Ernesto Hoost and Jerome Le Banner to help him train"

richieb19
8/9/07 7:06:35PM

Posted by cmill21

If I were Mirko i'd be more worried about getting KO'd in sparring then in my fight against kongo lol.

That's exactly what I've been thinking since you mentioned them the first time. I can almost guarantee someone got hurt from an Yvel flying knee lol...

Thanks again for the update, you're getting me really pumped for this fight!
cmill21
8/9/07 7:48:19PM
No problem guys! We're trying really hard to get video of a sparring session! Although the training sessions are closed to the public being as it's Mirko's home, but hopefully I can post some awsome video's! Expect to see some new striking techniques from Mirko!
richieb19
8/9/07 7:50:13PM

Posted by cmill21

No problem guys! We're trying really hard to get video of a sparring session! Although the training sessions are closed to the public being as it's Mirko's home, but hopefully I can post some awsome video's! Expect to see some new striking techniques from Mirko!

Whats you're inside connection on this?
cmill21
8/9/07 8:43:12PM
A few friends of mine know Mirko personally.
Copenhagen
8/9/07 9:33:12PM
Thanks for the pics cmill . I've been trying to look for some visuals of his training. I'd give you props, but I "got to spread the love".
Btews22
8/10/07 12:29:54AM

Posted by cmill21

I don't know about three but one for sure!!!!! wouldn't a rematch be a delight!!!!!
thepunisher
8/10/07 9:41:40AM
Training with these guys could really help out lister too his stand up is not good
cmill21
8/10/07 1:37:26PM
This would be my dream training camp to attend. I love all these guys. Lister is probly learning so much in the striking game.
juanez13
8/11/07 2:52:06PM
i think its actually better for mirko to train with lister rather than werdum....Lister has a very very dangerous guard, and could help mirko alot....
cmill21
8/11/07 3:59:26PM
Theres also the fact werdum has fought in the ufc less then Mirko so lister will be able to help him with elbows and the cage alloooooot more. Which are his weaknesses
BigEvil
8/12/07 9:58:46PM
I feel bad for Kongo....
cmill21
8/16/07 5:34:19PM
Incase you don't know Remy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtRNdsJe7c&mode=related&search=
Incase you don't know Gilbert
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Gilbert+Yvel/video/x1o6d7_gilbert-yvel-highlight-brutal-cage_extreme/2

Also I don't know if I posted about this but Mirko has hired Ivan Hippolyte as his new coach. For those of you who don't know Ivan is a former K-1 champion and is now a world class trainer. He specializes in Muay Tai.