Mirko Crocop Interview - Talks Hong man Choi

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mirko Crocop Interview - Talks Hong man Choi
kastro_316
12/20/08 3:05:57PM
DreamFighters.com

Talks about Choi, compares to Sapp, and talks fedor
bosanceros
12/20/08 5:51:16PM
y is he fighting this freak on the same card that he was suppose to fight overeem but now isnt..... does anyone know y he didnt end up fighting overeem... did he just chicken out
cmill21
12/20/08 7:54:17PM

Posted by bosanceros

y is he fighting this freak on the same card that he was suppose to fight overeem but now isnt..... does anyone know y he didnt end up fighting overeem... did he just chicken out

FEG scrapped it. Just curious why everyone still calls choi a freak, he's big trouble for anyone he faces.
jiujitsufreak74
12/20/08 8:07:51PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bosanceros

FEG scrapped it. Just curious why everyone still calls choi a freak, he's big trouble for anyone he faces.

agreed, i don't understand how people continue to write him off. he is a professional kickboxer after all; it's not like he is just big and that's it. he has wins over Mighty Mo, Goodridge, Bob Sapp and Semmy Schilt (arguable the best K-1 fighter of all time). also, JLB claims that Choi punches 4 times harder than Peter Aerts. i really don't get how people continue to write him off as nothing but a freakshow.
Jackelope
12/20/08 9:16:46PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bosanceros

agreed, i don't understand how people continue to write him off. he is a professional kickboxer after all; it's not like he is just big and that's it. he has wins over Mighty Mo, Goodridge, Bob Sapp and Semmy Schilt (arguable the best K-1 fighter of all time). also, JLB claims that Choi punches 4 times harder than Peter Aerts. i really don't get how people continue to write him off as nothing but a freakshow.

Been saying that same stuff for a while now, but people just don't want to hear it.
IriShame
12/20/08 10:02:43PM
I wouldn't say he is a just a freak. He is also a very capable kickboxer. Does that make him a capable mixed martial artist? No. He demonstrated his lack of basic fundamental MMA technique by leaving his arm laying on Fedors chest while he attempted to ground and pound 'The Last Emperor", even after Fedor nearly slapped on a fight finishing armbar. In fact, he did this again mere seconds later but this time was unable to escape and was forced to tap out. Will any of this matter against Cro Cop? Probably not, but the fact remains, his MMA game is limited at best.
cmill21
12/20/08 10:37:59PM

Posted by IriShame

I wouldn't say he is a just a freak. He is also a very capable kickboxer. Does that make him a capable mixed martial artist? No. He demonstrated his lack of basic fundamental MMA technique by leaving his arm laying on Fedors chest while he attempted to ground and pound 'The Last Emperor", even after Fedor nearly slapped on a fight finishing armbar. In fact, he did this again mere seconds later but this time was unable to escape and was forced to tap out. Will any of this matter against Cro Cop? Probably not, but the fact remains, his MMA game is limited at best.

Fact is, he would be nearly impossible to take down and get on top of and not everyone is Fedor when it comes to armbars.
MikeyG
12/20/08 11:14:24PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bosanceros

I defend Choi as well but he looked awful against Ray Sefo recently, very slow, Cro Cop should get a KO or Decision.
Aaronno9
12/21/08 12:11:50AM
The story goes FEG scrapped the fight, but if Mirko had of been campaigning for the fight to go ahead like allister was id bet my last penny the fight would of gone ahead. I remember an interveiw with Mirko where he actually said he wouldnt fight overeem becouse of his injury. Mabeys it wasnt legit thought.
IriShame
12/21/08 4:17:34PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by IriShame

Fact is, he would be nearly impossible to take down and get on top of and not everyone is Fedor when it comes to armbars.

I agree, not everyone has Fedor's submission skills but if you're going to leave your arm out there for the taking it doesn't take a black belt to slap on an armbar. The fact that Fedor is Fedor makes it even more inexcusable to show such a lack of basic fundamental technique. Just a glaring example of Choi's lack of a multi-faceted MMA game. Stick to kickboxing.