Mirko Cro Cop to return at UFC 80?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mirko Cro Cop to return at UFC 80?
POLL: Where should Cro Cop fight next?
UFC 80 in England 47% (23)
UFC 81 in Vegas 41% (20)
He should stay out for longer to regroup 12% (6)
CornishMMA
11/26/07 11:53:48AM
"I think my next fight is going to happen in January."

Heavyweight Mirko Cro Cop speculates via his personal Web site that he will return sometime in January (no opponent was named). UFC 80: “Rapid Fire” — scheduled for January 19 in Newcastle, England — would appear to be the most likely event in which the Croatian would participate. That card, according to our UFC 80 fight card, is at eight bouts and is awaiting the final piece of the puzzle. This could be it.

LINK
tuvok500
11/26/07 12:08:26PM
it depent of his opponent !
if it is a guy like eddy sanchez, no problem, but if it is like vera or a guy rank 10 to 12 place, he should wait to 81, but he is the one who know what is his conditionning and he may be already top shape and want a win as soon as possible to build up his confidence !

NatedawgThaM
11/26/07 12:15:46PM
I picked 80 but honestly don't care. I just want him to fight AA in a do or die match. That'd be sweet. I just want to see one last fight. If he loses then I never want to see him fight in the UFC again. I rather just enjoy the old Pride highlight reels.
silverbullet
11/26/07 12:22:51PM
I think they should let him destroy Vera

I have a feeling that in Cro Cop's next fight we'll get a chance to see the real Cro Cop
DCRage
11/26/07 12:28:40PM
At this point he'd be lucky to get much more than a mid-card talent as an opponent. His losses to GG & Kongo have really damaged his credibility but he's probably still got some drawing power based on name recognition and those wondering who the next unknown journeyman to shock us all and leap into title contention might be.
Ordep
11/26/07 12:44:46PM
even if he wins.... he needs to look really impresive to gain some respect (specially from average audience).
Leland
11/26/07 1:01:55PM
I hope we see him hit someone with those tree trunks. Nothing better than watching him throw a kick up there as fast and powerful as he does. Been hanging out with average MMA fans and I am like "Cro Cop is gonna kill this guy I just know it". They all think Mirko is a no-name and he has lost the last 2 fights!!! I put alot of credit on Mirko and hes been disappointing, I hope he realizes that and comes back convincingly.
Rush
11/26/07 1:35:33PM
He should only be fighting good fighters at this point. Even after two losses, it does him and the fans no justice to put him in there with a low tier fighter.
Styles
11/26/07 2:10:02PM
He needs to start training in a cage instead of a ring like he used to. I really hope to see him come back really strong, but his next fight will have to be against a "ok" fighter. UFC knows if Cro-cop losses a third fight in a row, the fans will loose interest. I think he will come back, destroy some fighter and redeem himself. I dont think it will be UFC 80 though.
cmill21
11/26/07 2:12:01PM
Damnit I hope he doesn't fight in England again lol. People forget though he looked pretty good in the first round, dominating Kongo with little trouble. I just hope he uses his boxing, low kicks, and dictates the pace, it is hard to be agressive with him when everytime you move foreword he hits you with that straight left every time.
wapttn
11/26/07 2:44:50PM
yah.. not a lot of people realized that crocop was being crocop until some hardcore repeated knees to the groin, and then a sick knee to the ribs that resulted in broken ribs. Not a lot of fighters can keep their composure like he did with broken ribs. I think he needs to find his rhythm and get comfortable in the ring and in order to do that he might need to fight a good fighter who he matches up well against. I'm thinking herring? I'm not sure why he's been on the shelf for so long, but he should be good to go. Crocop has a win over him, matches up well with him stylistically, and their ring experience is about the same. I would love to see mirco back to his old self.. one of my favourite mma quotes of all time is "right foot - hospital, left foot - cemetary"

stickyhash421
11/26/07 5:10:02PM
hes coming back.....cro cop is my hero, but i thought he was injured after both the gonzaga and kongo fights maybe he does need a break, dont make him fight arlovski, dont want to see either of them lose at this point
roman
11/26/07 5:52:45PM
I like the Vera idea. CroCop Vera sounds like a badass matchup.
spikerman19
11/26/07 6:37:57PM
I think it has to be Vera
Jackelope
11/26/07 7:32:28PM
The thing is that no low tier fighter is going to want to fight Mirko. Why would they want to get thrown to the wolves? Unless there's somebody out there who thinks they can beat him. They know at this point the UFC is looking for somebody to get their face smashed in so the whole world can finally understand who Crocop really is.

So they will probably put him against a mid-tier fighter. I think Herring and Vera are both good ideas.

I feel you guys on the point of being made look like an idiot to your average MMA fans. Both times I've said Crocop was going to eat his opponent alive and look what's happened. It really sucks for me and for Mirko. I really hope he can get it together and get a win in LHK fashion of old.

On a side note- I think I finally realized why I enjoyed watching Pride so much. Even when guys weren't fighting for belt contention you were excited to just see any fight. It was like being the champ mattered, but not really. In the UFC there is so much pressure on being a top 5 in the world and being a title contendor. In Pride they had guys putting on show after show who were never going to be top 5 ranked, but they performed and put everything on the line. I guess that's why it's such a big deal in the UFC that Mirko has losses to these guys. Everyone doesn't even consider him top 5 anymore and in the world of UFC that is everything
cmill21
11/26/07 7:51:44PM
I just want to have to quit explaining to people on here, who should know, that Cro Cop does not look like he used to mentally. If anyone can honestly tell me that Cro Cop looked like this anywhere in the UFC, and can show me a pic, I'll send them $50.
NatedawgThaM
11/26/07 8:21:26PM
The sanchez fight is the closest you'll get to winning that bet lol

But Sanchez siked himself out before the fight even begin. Before the buzzard sounded he was already jogging in place lol
Jackelope
11/26/07 8:57:26PM

Posted by cmill21

I just want to have to quit explaining to people on here, who should know, that Cro Cop does not look like he used to mentally. If anyone can honestly tell me that Cro Cop looked like this anywhere in the UFC, and can show me a pic, I'll send them $50.

Gimme mah money
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
cmill21
11/26/07 9:05:43PM
hahahahaha. Nate against Eddie I thought Cro Cop was going to fall asleep after winning, Bill Belichick looks happy next to Cro Cop beating Sanchez.
Btews22
11/26/07 9:58:16PM

Posted by cmill21

Damnit I hope he doesn't fight in England again lol. People forget though he looked pretty good in the first round, dominating Kongo with little trouble. I just hope he uses his boxing, low kicks, and dictates the pace, it is hard to be agressive with him when everytime you move foreword he hits you with that straight left every time.

Cmill21 is absolutely right He has had his last couple fights in the UK and damn it I want to see one of my all time favorite fighters up close and personal CroCop is the man I don't care that he has been Bamboozled in his last couple of fights I will still put a C-note on my man Mirko!!!!!!
TimW001
11/26/07 11:01:29PM
I wish we had the CC who fought in k1 an the owgp.
warglory
11/26/07 11:37:59PM
England is bad luck! 81!
MMAnomale
11/27/07 11:24:58AM
I'd really like to see a list of potential fighters for him to fight. Hopefully, it'll be good competition and I hope that CroCop gets back to his winning ways and becomes the beast that so many people have feared for the last few years, because of his deadly kicks.
"Right kick, hospital, Left kick, Mortuary." Mirko CroCop
They also need to bring AA back. He held the belt for a while, is a damn good fighter, won his last 3 fights (I think three), and although a couple of those were somewhat boring, he still won. Every fight can't be exciting, but he's had some damn good brawls in the past and DESERVES to be brought right back into the mix of things. He's still a top-10 HW, and if given the opportunity, could prove himself to be a top-five HW in the UFC. (The UFC still needs a couple of HW fighters that are w/other org's such as Fedor and Barnett).