Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga - UFC70

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga - UFC70
ffforgottenx
2/15/07 9:00:40AM
apparently this is the matchup.. what do you all think?

source

i give gonzaga a chance just because of his phenominal grappling, but NOT a very big chance.. he will first have to get cro cop down.. and i dont think its going to happen..
madmarck
2/15/07 9:33:22AM
Who knows we may see another fight like Herring vs O'Brien. But i think this one will be much more exciting. Gabriel is gonna show his metal in this fight. I Can see him taking Cro Cop down maybe 1-2 times. But i think he will get KO'd. Cro Cop has gotten good on the ground. I think he can stall until the fight is stood up or he can escape from Gonzaga.
BloodandTears
2/15/07 10:22:51AM

Posted by madmarck

Who knows we may see another fight like Herring vs O'Brien. But i think this one will be much more exciting. Gabriel is gonna show his metal in this fight. I Can see him taking Cro Cop down maybe 1-2 times. But i think he will get KO'd. Cro Cop has gotten good on the ground. I think he can stall until the fight is stood up or he can escape from Gonzaga.

Mirko will destroy Gonzaga. The poor fellow has no chance. Lets get CC in with some competition already!!
Stickan
2/15/07 10:31:09AM
Hopefully he doesn't fear Mirko as much as Eddie did. I think it'll be an interesting fight but hopefully Mirko gets HL-reel KO.
DirtySouthBoss
2/15/07 10:44:34AM
I think that these fights for CC are to waste all of the real fan's time so the casual majority can find out what he is about. I really just want to see Fedor v. CC 2. IMO they are a level above all of the other HW. Exept maybe Big Nog
hippysmacker
2/15/07 12:09:33PM
I really thought he was going to fight O'brien or Kongo. Well I guess it's all lined up now. Cro-cop vs Gonzaga - Vera vs O'brien - That leaves Arlovski vs Kongo , who are both rumored to be at UFC 70. Cro-cop's takedown defense is too good for Gonzaga IMO. Cro-cop by KO. Thanks for finding that link.
AchillesHeel
2/15/07 12:25:04PM

Posted by DirtySouthBoss

I think that these fights for CC are to waste all of the real fan's time so the casual majority can find out what he is about.

I agree. They just want him to kick the crap out of some guys to build anticipation for his inevitable title fight. I would have loved to see him fight Vera, in his final UFC fight, but I figured that was too much to hope for.
AchillesHeel
2/15/07 1:12:36PM
Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Cro Cop-Vera would be an almost no-lose scenario for the UFC.

Fact #1: Most new and casual UFC fans think Brandon Vera is the sh*t, and should be getting a title shot.

Fact #2: Brandon Vera is leaving the UFC, because he thinks he's the sh*t and wants to be paid like Cro Cop and Liddell, two of the best fighters in the world.

Fact #3: Most new and casual UFC fans know Cro Cop as a guy who fought in Japan and then chased a frightened Eddie Sanchez around the Octagon.

Fact #4, and the crux of my thesis: Cro Cop would kick the crap out of Brandon Vera.

Seriously, this would be great for the UFC. Vera's leaving anyway, so a loss at this point wouldn't matter to them. Cro Cop needs a good, quality opponent, someone the fans already know ("who's Eddie Sanchez? and why did he run away like a little girl?"). Even though I think Cro Cop would win, I also think that Vera is a good fighter, and would have been worthy of a title shot sometime this year. So this would be a genuinely good fight to watch, with a much less obvious outcome than either Sanchez or Gonzaga.
waylon_o
2/15/07 1:29:26PM
Cro Cop will kick him in the snout in the first round and it will be over. I smell a title shot soon.
Reignofterror
2/15/07 3:58:17PM
I was hoping Arlovski. But Crocop is Crocop. Hopefully turns out to be a good show.
shawneth
2/15/07 5:56:03PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I really thought he was going to fight O'brien or Kongo. Well I guess it's all lined up now. Cro-cop vs Gonzaga - Vera vs O'brien - That leaves Arlovski vs Kongo , who are both rumored to be at UFC 70. Cro-cop's takedown defense is too good for Gonzaga IMO. Cro-cop by KO. Thanks for finding that link.

I do not beleive that Arlovski is fighting Kongo at UFC 70 because in another thread, someone posted up Arlovski's next fight and gave a source for it. Damn I can't remember the guys name. He Was from Australia and his name starts with Jim I think.
Snacks
2/15/07 6:09:15PM
Risky, as we don't know the full extent of how Crocop will work in the cage.
Svabbi
2/15/07 6:11:15PM
No way Gonzaga takes Cro Cop down, Cro Cop by KO Rd1
JoeMimic
2/15/07 6:33:02PM
I'm glad they didn't do Arlovski/Cro Cop yet. I like Arlovski and this could be a main event fight if they set it up right. I think Cro Cop will win but I think Arlovski with his stiking ability has a better chance then anyone they've put him up against yet.
Stickan
2/15/07 7:44:57PM

Posted by Snacks

Risky, as we don't know the full extent of how Crocop will work in the cage.

Agree but they can't protect him forever. Hopefully he'll prove himself just like he did against Sanchez.
ffforgottenx
2/15/07 7:47:33PM

Posted by JoeMimic

I'm glad they didn't do Arlovski/Cro Cop yet. I like Arlovski and this could be a main event fight if they set it up right. I think Cro Cop will win but I think Arlovski with his stiking ability has a better chance then anyone they've put him up against yet.

if arlovski defeats whoever he is fighting next, and probably one more fight after that, look for arlovski/cro cop after cro cop fights for the title.. it would be a highly marketable championship fight (assuming cro cop takes the title), and it would probably have just as big of a draw even if it wasnt a championship fight
pv3Hpv3p
2/15/07 8:10:31PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by JoeMimic

if arlovski defeats whoever he is fighting next, and probably one more fight after that, look for arlovski/cro cop after cro cop fights for the title.. it would be a highly marketable championship fight (assuming cro cop takes the title), and it would probably have just as big of a draw even if it wasnt a championship fight

Agreed, I personally wouldn't care if it was for the belt or not (although the championship would make the fight more compelling)... That fight seems like a standup war in the making...

On a side note, I think it's odd that when I think of CC i imagine a physically larger man than Andrei...

I guess it's part of that mystique that CC carries around with him, I have never met him, but have heard that he is one of those people that you can feel enter a room. A truely intimidating man, if he wants to be.
hathcock32
2/15/07 10:29:55PM
Gabriel is solid....I think he wil get through a round...hes got a slim..but i believe he acually has a chance agianst CC..as to Eddie Sanchez who had no chance....Arlovski vs CC is a match ive been waiting for....i would like to see that fight more than any other dream fight in mma
aceprone
2/16/07 2:39:03AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by JoeMimic

I agree. The UFC is building for Cro Cop vs. Arvloski. It would be great to see Arvloski and Cro Cop now, but the money can be sooooooooooooooooooo much bigger after a couple more fights and Cro Cop has the title. Cro Cop still has 4 more fights on his contract after this next one. Why waste fights between Sylvia and AA right away. They wouldn't sell as well as they could. Cro Cop and Gabriel is a good match up. Much more competitive. Sure we can say Gabriel as no chance but how many heavyweights really have a chance beside AA, Tim, Fedor, and Hunt? That's only 4 people in world. So anyone else below that is a sacrifice.
titorican
2/16/07 2:49:29PM
Gonzaga is a tough dude. He will definitely at least try and execute his gameplan against Mirko, as opposed to run away like Sanchez. Cro-Cop will most likely KO him, but I think Gonzaga will make it to round two and it certainly won't be as lopsided as the Sanchez fight.
DirtySouthBoss
2/17/07 12:15:05AM
CC>Gonzaga

thats it
warglory
12/29/07 7:17:07PM
Oh how naive we once were.