Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic Signs Three-Fight Deal With UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic Signs Three-Fight Deal With UFC
Bowen50
7/13/09 4:20:16PM
Heavyweight veteran Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has signed a three-fight contract with the UFC, ending weeks of speculation about whether the popular Croatian fighter would return to the UFC or ink a deal with Japan-based DREAM.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta announced the signing on Saturday during a Q&A with fans at the UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas before UFC 100.

Link
nickcuc547
7/13/09 5:03:15PM
I don't care if he's "past his prime", this is a huge shot in the arm for the ufc heavyweight division, I love it, big cro cop fan and win or lose he is a great fighter to watch, hopefully one more run at a title is in store.
snakeplissken
7/13/09 5:06:45PM
Brock Vs. Cro Cop you know you want it....
Irish_Pride
7/13/09 5:12:09PM
Great job by the UFC for signing Cro Cop. Even if he is getting old, he is still a very interesting fighter to watch and a fan favorite in the sport with his deadly head kicks. Cro Cop makes a great addition to the Heavyweight Division.
grappler0000
7/13/09 5:47:14PM
Not only is he a potential contender down the road, it also makes one less fight for Fedor outside of the UFC, only leaving Barney and Overeem...the carrot is dangling.
cmill21
7/13/09 5:47:33PM
This is why dana shouldn't fly off the handle.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/13/09 6:33:06PM
I just hope they don't keep giving him al-turk type fighters.
cowcatcher
7/13/09 6:35:10PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I just hope they don't keep giving him al-turk type fighters.

think of al-turk as a welcome, er, welcome back mat. his next fight will be against better competition.
KaibaThedon
7/13/09 7:13:20PM
He couldn't refuse the offer!
crushedbacon
7/13/09 7:32:42PM
Nice work.....nowLorenzo needs to.... leave Dana in Vegas, get his ass on a plane to Stary Oskol and reel in the big one.
Givershit
7/13/09 8:06:32PM
Dude better drop down to 205 or he's toast.
prozacnation1978
7/13/09 9:01:38PM
glad to see him back....again!!
cmill21
7/14/09 12:06:19AM

Posted by Givershit

Dude cant make 205 and he's given the world #1 his best test yet.
DevonFoxy
7/14/09 12:16:38AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Givershit

Brock Lesnar?.....ha see what I did there? If Cro Cop can't hang in the HW division of the UFC then why the heck can't Brock Lesnar be the best fighter in the world??lol
ncordless
7/14/09 12:19:30AM

Posted by crushedbacon

Nice work.....nowLorenzo needs to.... leave Dana in Vegas, get his ass on a plane to Stary Oskol and reel in the big one.

It would probably help that situation if Dana sat that one out, too.
cmill21
7/14/09 12:27:06AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Givershit

Brock Lesnar?.....ha see what I did there? If Cro Cop can't hang in the HW division of the UFC then why the heck can't Brock Lesnar be the best fighter in the world??lol

Ohhhh buuuuuhhhhhhhzzzzzzziiiiinggggg..
Aaronno9
7/14/09 1:59:22AM
Awesome. Please please pleeeeaaase give him another shot at Kongo.
tdietel01
7/14/09 2:07:42AM
and to think the HW division was so lackluster a year and a half ago.......... we need AA and fedor and i might forget about every other division lol
Kpro
7/14/09 4:53:55AM
Soooooooo, is he still fighting Mighty Mo in less than a week on DREAM 10 if he's in contract to face Dos Santos in 2 months ?

EDIT: Nevermind, found a site saying that fight is off. May want to remove it from the Secondary League picks if any MOD's are reading this.

LINK
Leland
7/14/09 12:30:43PM
YAY! Just the kind of news I was looking for. However, I am nervous he will not be able to stand up with some of the top UFC Competition. But never say never with Cro Cop. im gonna LOL so hard if he kicks brocks little toothpick legs in half. HA HA! God I want that freakshow to get owned by a head kick and/or leg kick. I wanna see Cro Cop make Brock cry haha.
emfleek
7/14/09 2:12:05PM

Posted by Kpro

EDIT: Nevermind, found a site saying that fight is off. May want to remove it from the Secondary League picks if any MOD's are reading this.

LINK

Noted.
BarryScott
7/14/09 11:28:27PM
Cro Cop will probably be fighting at UFC 105 in Manchester, UK.

But who will he be fighting......?
cmill21
7/15/09 12:08:35AM

Posted by BarryScott

Nope, Dos Santos at 103.
Jackelope
7/15/09 12:13:41AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by BarryScott

Nope, Dos Santos at 103.

Which begs the question- does the winner of that matchup get a shot at the HW strap following the winner of Velasquez/Carwin? If not, who do they match up against? The loser of Velasquez/Carwin? Kongo?? Herring??

EDIT: N/M... somehow I forgot about the Minotoro/Couture fight coming up.. which apparently the winner of Dos Santos/Cro Cop will fight the loser of
cmill21
7/15/09 12:22:26AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by cmill21

Posted by BarryScott

Nope, Dos Santos at 103.

Which begs the question- does the winner of that matchup get a shot at the HW strap following the winner of Velasquez/Carwin? If not, who do they match up against? The loser of Velasquez/Carwin? Kongo?? Herring??

EDIT: N/M... somehow I forgot about the Minotoro/Couture fight coming up.. which apparently the winner of Dos Santos/Cro Cop will fight the loser of

Winner's of either fight face off.
BarryScott
7/15/09 12:33:21AM
Lol i'll shutup!
Jackelope
7/15/09 12:34:45AM

Posted by cmill21

LOL, yeah I just noticed that. Seems kind of weird. You'd figure they'd give a title shot directly to the winner of Couture vs. Nog.
Leland
7/15/09 3:08:14PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by cmill21

LOL, yeah I just noticed that. Seems kind of weird. You'd figure they'd give a title shot directly to the winner of Couture vs. Nog.

why? Nog lost to Mir at christmas, and I don't think 1 win would justify a title shot just like that. Even though HW division is quite thin... 2 wins sounds more like it, especially after couture's loss to the champion. This will shake up the division a little bit, which is a nice and welcome change from me. AND we get to possibly see CC fight Couture