Mirko Cro Cop: Brock Lesnar Winning the UFC Title Is a Defeat for MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mirko Cro Cop: Brock Lesnar Winning the UFC Title Is a Defeat for MMA
emfleek
7/21/09 4:41:58PM
It's been fascinating to see the reaction to Brock Lesnar becoming the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion by defeating Frank Mir at UFC 100: The response is just about evenly split between those who think Lesnar's larger-than-life persona is great for the sport, and those who think he has tarnished MMA.

Count Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic as part of the latter camp.

STORY
R-Bandd
7/21/09 6:50:56PM

Most people don't think of wrestling as a martial art, but it absolutely is -- and it's one of the best, most effective martial arts. As a wrestler Lesnar was NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion, and now that he's a mixed martial artist he's the UFC heavyweight champion. That's not bad for martial arts, unless you're under the mistaken impression that martial arts are nothing more than punching and kicking.

Well made and over looked point.
cmill21
7/21/09 7:09:28PM
I don't think he was saying because Brock is a wrestler it's bad for mma, most people who have followed MMA from the jump feel that skill and technique will defeat size and strength, Mir losing puts a dent in that.
State_Champ
7/21/09 7:34:16PM

Posted by cmill21

I don't think he was saying because Brock is a wrestler it's bad for mma, most people who have followed MMA from the jump feel that skill and technique will defeat size and strength, Mir losing puts a dent in that.

I see this point made often and I cannot help but disagree on some level. Mir may be more skilled at BJJ (as demonstrated in their first fight) and striking , but Lesnar is more skilled at wrestling and GnP (as demosntrated in their second meeting). If Mir were a more skilled wrestler maybe he could have avoided being taken down by Lesnar, or he could have taken Lesnar down himself.

I guess think of Lesnar and Mir as "differently skilled"
prozacnation1978
7/21/09 9:25:24PM
lesnar proved that he belongs here, if he wants a piece at him start by winning consective fights
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/21/09 9:45:00PM
I agree with the comment above this one...Crocop if ya wanna fight the champ, how about winning a few in a row
mkiv9secsupra
7/21/09 10:23:38PM
its always bad for the sport when a fighters stature is the most impressive part of his arsenal....
Sir_Karl
7/21/09 10:28:28PM
CroCop needs to worry about himself...he has been stinking up the joint for the last few years.
roadking95th
7/22/09 12:39:43AM
It time for people to face the facts. More and more high level wrestlers are getting involved. Some of the greatest in the sport have been world class. Couture, Hendo, Lindland, Coleman, etc.

When one compares a world class wrestler to a world class anything else, there are couple of things one can be sure of. The wrestlers has trained longer and harder over his life. He has also had way more matches.

Ever hear of Joe Warren? World class Greco took out Kid.

These guys need to progress, and they do, to be considered MIXED martial artists. Everyone expects them to become proficent in striking and Jits to satisfy some desire for a well rounded fighter. They do well enough with what they have. What some would consider a low level, at best, form a martial arts.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if some of the "other" martial artists would step up their wrestling game.

This is to be directed at a minority, but loud, group.
bigox420
7/22/09 1:41:36AM
I don't see it as a bad thing for him to win. I am a Lesnar fan and did not think he should have got the title shot but he did and he took it. Shame on the UFC for that. My question . How is he bad for the sport ? I don't care if you like or hate him you want to see him fight. He is actually very technical just as a wrestler. CRO COP is only really technical as a striker.
Also the second biggest grossing event and I am sure he will be part of some even bigger ones.

I think some of his action is not a good look for him more then the sport. I only really seen a problem with what he said about the sponsors. You have to remember the adrenaline is still running thought him just won his fight and is pumped for that. I thought the " Hell I think I'll even get on top of my wife tonight" was funny as hell. It was a PPV and was not on SPIKE. They swear and sh it all the time.

WAR LESNAR.
tomp6581
7/22/09 6:21:57AM
To be fair to Lesnar. HE isnt the problem as it is the only division he can fight in.

206-265 = 59lbs range
186 - 205 = 19lbs range
171 - 185 = 14lbs range
156 - 170 = 14lbs range

Mirko has an argument for extra divisions....the reason that hasnt happened right now is becasue the talent pool for the (265+) massive guys isnt that big.

Usually the 220-240lbs heavyweights would defeat the huge guys becasue they lacked technique and speed.

But Lesnar is the first skilled, LEAN heavyweight with a grappling background to have to cut to make 265, and as we know...if two guys have skills, and one is considerably larger (LEAN size) then more often than not the larger guy wins.
And the more fighters like him that appear, the more a case will be made for another division.

It would only be a defeat for MMA if Lesnar was unskilled and big....ie Bob Sapp.

However, I still feel Fedor would defeat Brock right now.

RearNakedJoke
7/22/09 4:24:39PM
sounds like Crocops just sad because as long as Lesnar has the belt he never will. i'm a crocop fan but i cant see him even in his prime beating Lesnar.
cmill21
7/22/09 4:43:01PM
Yeah, cro cops sad lesnar, a guy with no stand up capeabilities has the belt. I garentee you cro cop thinks he can crush lesnar. And if lesnar can't take him down, he will get crushed.
zephead
7/22/09 5:25:08PM

Posted by cmill21

Yeah, cro cops sad lesnar, a guy with no stand up capeabilities has the belt. I garentee you cro cop thinks he can crush lesnar. And if lesnar can't take him down, he will get crushed.

But the problem is, if you stand and bang it takes just one shot to KO you. I know CroCop didn't see it coming from GG. If GG can take him down, Brock can.
cmill21
7/22/09 7:10:58PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

But the problem is, if you stand and bang it takes just one shot to KO you. I know CroCop didn't see it coming from GG. If GG can take him down, Brock can.

Very true. The question is will he get taken down? The GG takedown was because of a kick, I don't see Cro Cop opening with a middle kick again.
Leland
7/22/09 8:46:08PM
Agree with Cmill, I think if CC puts some power in some lower leg kicks, Brock will be in alot of pain lol. Brock is still very new at this point and I think someone skilled like CC is going to be the person to beat him. excellent TD defense and great striking. CC in his current state still has to prove himself to me. He did okay in the Al-Turk fight, but I want to see the fire in his eyes. If he beats Dos Santos and next in line (Randy plz!) convincingly, he will be in line for a title shot quickly with the HW division as it is now. Show us you want it CC! And gain some weight to fight Lesnar
Shadymlm
7/26/09 7:33:26AM

Very true. The question is will he get taken down? The GG takedown was because of a kick, I don't see Cro Cop opening with a middle kick again.

With Brock's explosiveness it's not a matter of if he can take CC down it's more can CC get back up after Brock take's him down? IMO I don't think he'd be able to Brock is just a beast that the HW division has never seen the like's of before.(Like a Tim Sylvia with skill) People we're talking about a quick KO well Brock has the power to do that to CC when it's all said and done CC is just to small and will be taken down and controlled with ease IMO.