Mirko's Announcement...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Mirko's Announcement...
POLL: should mirko come back sooner or later
soonest, he should fight on the UFC 84 card 14% (6)
soon, he should fight shortly after, UFC 85-86 48% (20)
later, sometime late in 2008, UFC 87-91 7% (3)
latest, as long as hes 100% mentally and strategically ready 31% (13)
BlazinSaddle
2/11/08 4:48:46PM
Link

will have to wait, he says to be patient and he'll have an annoucnement soon,

i for one say take your time mirko
cmill21
2/11/08 5:57:14PM
I can honestly say I haven't heard anything about what it may be. I've been trying to find out whats going to be happening, with no luck anywhere.
stock
2/11/08 7:15:53PM
I voted for "as long as it takes for him to be 100% mentally and physically ready".

I don't want any more excuses (ie.. he was injured or his head wasn't in the fight).
I don't care if I have to wait a year or longer to see him fight again. If there is a possibility for an excuse, I don't want to see him fight.
jiujitsufreak74
2/11/08 8:06:39PM
i want to see Cro Cop at his top form. i don't like when fighters rush to make fights they are not 100% ready for, look at shogun and GSP. CC should take as long as he needs to get as close to he was in 2006 because he was just a beast. CC in top form is just nasty an i think he would run through the HW division and beat big nog in a rematch. there is no doubt in my mind CC would beat couture if he was back to 100% and i just see fedor as his only obstacle in the division. i would tell CC to not worry about public opinion and fight when you feel you are ready. i would love to see him fight as soon as tomorrow if he was able to, but if he is not ready then i can accept not seeing him for a while.
Kpro
2/11/08 8:11:56PM
If he's not fighting by the end of the year, he needs to separate ties with the UFC as it would be an obvious mutual agreement to void the contract.

If M1 could toss money at Arlovski, Sylvia, Mirko, Hunt, etc. they could have by far the most formidable HW division out there by 2009.
jiujitsufreak74
2/11/08 8:24:21PM

Posted by Kpro

If he's not fighting by the end of the year, he needs to separate ties with the UFC as it would be an obvious mutual agreement to void the contract.

If M1 could toss money at Arlovski, Sylvia, Mirko, Hunt, etc. they could have by far the most formidable HW division out there by 2009.

yea but they only have two HW fighters i believe, and thats only if aleks signed too. everyone always talks about M-1 becoming this large promotion but they don't have enough fighters to even put on an original card. if someone could please verify all of the fighters in M-1 i would really appreciate it because to my knowledge only Red Devil fighters are in M-1 a this point.
seanfu
2/11/08 8:26:36PM
Cro cop is everything perfect that you could expect in a ring fighter. This is not a ring. The stance is wrong for the cage (too tall) and the movement is wrong (most fighters have to make careful movements inside the cage and in a ring you can lean back to escape a takedown or escape strikes without fear of a takedown)... This is not a ring. The pace is also very different. Sorry Mirko.
BlazinSaddle
2/11/08 9:30:21PM

Posted by seanfu

Cro cop is everything perfect that you could expect in a ring fighter. This is not a ring. The stance is wrong for the cage (too tall) and the movement is wrong (most fighters have to make careful movements inside the cage and in a ring you can lean back to escape a takedown or escape strikes without fear of a takedown)... This is not a ring. The pace is also very different. Sorry Mirko.

i disagree, a ring almost nothing to do with it, gonzaga beat him fair and sqaure except herb stood it up too fast then mirko gets head kicked, and kongo simply won by reach and injuries, give the guy some more time before making this ring vs cage assessment, he honestly didnt look that bad in the gonzaga fight when you get caught you get caught maybe he didnt plan as well but a lesser fighter would have not come back after that brutal knockout let alone a post fight interview
cmill21
2/11/08 9:36:23PM
I do think the cage makes a difference in how you have to fight, but I don`t think his `straight` stance has anything to do with it. He needs to work on cutting the cage off, easy in a ring with the corners but it`s do able in the cage. He has a great sprawl and should use his boxing waaaay more. I`m hearing this is being put into place since he`s back with Marijan Zizanovic, his K-1 coach. Who knows whats going to happen, but I do believe he will come back and fight, and with Marijan he damn well better fight hard, you might see him swinging in between rounds.
jae_1833
2/11/08 10:44:43PM
I think at his level he can transition to the cage reletively easily so long as he has really been training with it. I know he has had some bad fights lately, but he is a top notch competitor. We all know that fighter's live on the hype they bring (and the performance) into fight, if you don't belive that just look at Tito Ortiz's career! So long as he has been training prperly and not injured he should come back this summer with another classic KO!!!
Silent-Sir
2/13/08 4:14:13PM
Cro Cop's big announcement....

He's leaving the UFC. This sucks. This sucks more than words can express. I was really hoping he could have come in and dominate. He's one of my favorite fighters, and I am truly disappointed in his showing in the UFC. I hope he can return to the Cro Cop of old, but I'm afraid he'll probably end up taking the Fedor route and fight a string of nobodies.