Mir Talks Nog, Nog, More Nog

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mir Talks Nog, Nog, More Nog
DCRage
12/5/08 4:39:32PM
In a recent interview with CBS Sportsline, Frank Mir talked about pretty much everything related to his upcoming fight with Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, including offering his prediction for the fight-judge's decision.

Article
roman
12/5/08 4:51:00PM
I don't agree that Mir's striking is going to be where he wins this fight, I think thats where he loses it. Nogs boxing is very orthodox and solid, I see hime easily out striking the less experienced hands of Mir.

If Mir wants to win he has to do it on the ground.
grappler0000
12/5/08 4:53:10PM
Some very humble statements.
Jackelope
12/5/08 4:55:23PM
I don't see an out for Mir, either. Maybe with leg kicks he can score some points, but not with straight hands.

Nog will sub him. It's just a question of what round.

cmill21
12/5/08 5:04:28PM
Surrised that Mir was talking like that, maybe TUF was all an act lol. I do think Nog will put him away but I think it will be a late round TKO.
Jackelope
12/5/08 5:13:24PM
I think Mir has always been respectful of Nog's Octagon abilities. I think that the producers of TUF just edited and cut things to make him seem like a jerk.
xAcidburNx
12/5/08 5:29:24PM

Posted by cmill21

Surrised that Mir was talking like that, maybe TUF was all an act lol. I do think Nog will put him away but I think it will be a late round TKO.

to be honest mir has always seemed like a class act. this season just made em look really bad. i dont think theres a person out there whos talked to this guy would say anythin bad about em. my belief is that they think hes gonna lose so lets make it so nog is kewl, mir is a tool and everyone loves to see a tool get his but whipped. all about the money people.
juanez13
12/5/08 5:29:52PM
He's always been cocky and has come across as a sore loser, even in his hey-days. Maybe he is changing his tune now. When he was champ I didnt like him at all, but now I dont mind him.

I think his best chance at winning this fight, Is to take Nog down. Nog might have an edge in BJJ, but Mir can hold his own. If he can avoid subs and keep Nog on his back, that would be his best chance at taking a decision. Problem is that Mir has horrible TK defense (mainly because he is comfortable on his back), and Nog has decent trips and takedowns, so its a question of who will be the first to take it down. Standing I think Nog's boxing will do the trick, Mir's kicks are definitely better, but they arent great and I think Nog will counter them with straight punches to the dome (like he did to the Japanese fighter, catch the leg and throw a punch)
jiujitsufreak74
12/5/08 6:15:06PM

Posted by cmill21

i think this article proves how Editing on a reality show can make you look like an angel or a saint with the some comment. it's not uncommon for producers to feed the guys lines and take what they say out of context and even jumble the order of what they say. i always liked Mir for his humble demeanor (post-accident), so when i saw TUF i was besides myself, then i did a topic about reality shows for a class of mine and learned just how devious they can be. i mean, i always knew editing had a huge role, but some of the stuff they actually do is scary.
WrestlersAssassin
12/5/08 8:17:54PM

Posted by Jackelope

I don't see an out for Mir, either. Maybe with leg kicks he can score some points, but not with straight hands.

Nog will sub him. It's just a question of what round.

there really isnt one aspect I give Mir an advantage in, his cardio is not good and thats exactly where Nog is probably taking this because we all know nogs a freakin warrior, 3rd round sub or tko.
MALICE
12/5/08 10:13:46PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by cmill21

i think this article proves how Editing on a reality show can make you look like an angel or a saint with the some comment. it's not uncommon for producers to feed the guys lines and take what they say out of context and even jumble the order of what they say. i always liked Mir for his humble demeanor (post-accident), so when i saw TUF i was besides myself, then i did a topic about reality shows for a class of mine and learned just how devious they can be. i mean, i always knew editing had a huge role, but some of the stuff they actually do is scary.

Absolutely, my buddy and I had to do a project called Reality Shows: Reality or Ridiculous. Do you think they go through all of the audition tapes, and only pick the guys who they think would be the best fighters? The answer is no. Cause let's face it, people love drama. If you don't have a personality, you had better be a damn good fighter to make the show. Have you ever seen The Real World? Random people picked to live in a house and work together. Huh? I don't know many people like the people on that show. But they sure are more entertaining than the people I know.

Point is......Reality TV is still just another staged, sometimes scripted, show for your entertainment.

Mir is very Humble and Respectful. I have never seen or read an interview that he didn't have both of those qualities in. Except on a Reality Show.
Aaronno9
12/5/08 10:30:32PM
I personally think the division in the stand ups going to be bigger than Nogs advantage on the ground. I really just think Nogs going to tool Frank standing. Hes got some pretty good boxing, and Mir has never shown anything standing. His best hope is to take nog down and just control from the top avoiding subs en route to a UD. Kinda like what should of happened in the Ricco fight.
GSPCanada
12/6/08 12:09:28AM
as far as the fight goes between these 2 I used to feel nog would win no problem but now I have my doubts, rarely do u see black belts submit other black belts in mma so I don't know how easy it will be for Nogueira to get the sub, and neither guy has really ever shown much in the stand up department all though nog is more polished I think Mir might have the advantage in power and could drop Nog a few times which could play a huge role in the decision I think its just a matter of who has the better sprawl and makes sure they make their submission attempts from the top and ground n pound

I was surprised by this article as well, mir came off as arrogant and i dont know that this was strictly editting but the show took place a while ago so he may have a change of heart, I hope Nog wins