Mir, Nogueira breathe new life into TUF

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mir, Nogueira breathe new life into TUF
MMAcca
9/16/08 1:04:43AM
The past two seasons of the Ultimate Fighter have been met with criticism on two levels. The first is that the show, which launched mixed martial arts' popularity in North America, was growing stale.

After all, how many times can you watch unknown fighters training, struggling to make weight and fighting in front of a small audience in the gym before it all starts looking the same?

Second, the depth of talent over the past two seasons hasn't been as strong as it was in earlier seasons, blamed somewhat on the rise of competing organizations who signed a lot of up-and-coming fighters.

The Spike TV show, which starts its eighth season on Wednesday night, launched the careers of a several top Ultimate Fighting Championship stars, including both competitors in the next light heavyweight title match – champ Forrest Griffin and challenger Rashad Evans.

But it hasn't turned out a title contender since Matt Serra parlayed winning the fourth season into one of the biggest upsets in company history when he defeated Georges St. Pierre for the welterweight title in 2007.

LINK
Mchubb316
9/16/08 1:11:23AM
I'm looking forward to this season. TUF is proving to be a great stepping stone for guys to become good fighters. Iam interested to see how Nog english is, and how he gets instruction to his fighters. I think Mir will be a good coach. Dana must compensate these guys nicely. I think every coach has said how much they hated doing it after the fact.
haggiswashere
9/16/08 1:23:28AM
After the article i really don't notice the difference this season. it just has different points from other seasons. it has fighters who get along which we have seen before, the fight your way on thing which we saw last season. two weight classes which we have seen before. I don't get it.
crazedfan
9/16/08 3:03:39AM

Posted by Mchubb316

I'm looking forward to this season. TUF is proving to be a great stepping stone for guys to become good fighters. Iam interested to see how Nog english is, and how he gets instruction to his fighters. I think Mir will be a good coach. Dana must compensate these guys nicely. I think every coach has said how much they hated doing it after the fact.

Nog's English is really good actually. They have subtitles for when he speaks, but you can easily and clearly understand what he is saying.
finnish_line
9/16/08 8:51:59AM

Posted by MMAcca

But it hasn't turned out a title contender since Matt Serra parlayed winning the fourth season into one of the biggest upsets in company history when he defeated Georges St. Pierre for the welterweight title in 2007.

???

How fast do they expect the winners of season 5, 6 and 7 to become title contenders?
kaduey
9/16/08 12:29:53PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by MMAcca

???

How fast do they expect the winners of season 5, 6 and 7 to become title contenders?

The-Don
9/16/08 2:43:30PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by MMAcca

???

I think the point they are making the first couple of seasons those guys jumped right up to the top and were contenders almost out of the gates.. though the big difference is the UFC did not have as deep a roster then as it does now ... I do think it is a bit unfair to compare them because of that fact..
Khaos
9/16/08 3:22:10PM
I'm really looking forward to the season, it intreges me and I can't wait for it.
Wolfenstein
9/16/08 5:00:48PM
The talent level this season has gone back to the ways of the old, which is awesome. It was getting to the point where there was almost no reason to watch the show because only one or two guys would end up in the UFC for a couple months.

I'm also pretty excited about this years coaches. I didn't agree that Mir should get a shot at the title, but I couldn't argue a better HW coach than Mir.
jgtribbett
9/16/08 6:24:04PM
i didnt read the article.. i wont notice the difference because i probably wont watch it. I hope for the sake of the show and what it has done for the sport that it has improved on less than desireable aspects. I guess the only part I trully care about is Nog VS Mir in what is possibly going to be the best display of jiu-jitsu in an MMA Match. One may argue that individuals have desplayed great BJJ.. true, but i'm talking about both competators. I think that the best so far has been Renzo vs Newton.. just my opinion i guess.