Mir vs. Nog stoppage

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mir vs. Nog stoppage
Next Page »
nickcuc547
12/28/08 3:51:02PM
I haven't seen any discussion on it here but I have seen a lot on other sites, people saying the stoppage was quick. Now i must admit while it was happening i did think it was a little quick, but then when nog got up he was still very wobbly, i think that completely vindicated the stoppage. Thoughts?
Jackelope
12/28/08 3:55:38PM
Given that it was Nog I would have allowed him to take more shots. I mean, how many times have we seen Nog in that same predicament? I think the outcome would have been the same, though.

All in all I think the stoppage was fine and that it would have been merely a prolonging of the inevitable (Mir was clearly dominant)
jiujitsufreak74
12/28/08 3:57:54PM
i am 100% with you nickcuc, at first i thought it was a bad stoppage since it was Nog in there, but when he stood up he was on wobbly legs and barely was able to stand on his own accord; which in my mind validated the stoppage.
cmill21
12/28/08 3:59:27PM
I thought it was a bit early especially after the Forrest stoppage. I don't know that Nog could have come back, but it was Nog so I really don't see how anyone could say there was no way he could have come back. That being said Nog didn't do anything and had he kept doing what he was doing it would have ended sooner or later anyways.
wiggum
12/28/08 3:59:47PM

Posted by Jackelope

Given that it was Nog I would have allowed him to take more shots. I mean, how many times have we seen Nog in that same predicament? I think the outcome would have been the same, though.

All in all I think the stoppage was fine and that it was merely a prolonging of the inevitable (Mir was clearly dominant)

agreed, try to give ya props again.....i would have let it last longer as well...look how long nog was given in the herring fight ya know....but we have all seen worse stoppages and at that point he was just getting his ass handed to him...it was his third time down so it was almost a enough is enough stoppage.....no complaints...well one, i lost money on that fight dammit!!!!
Twenty20Dollars
12/28/08 4:02:09PM
My first thought was that it was too early because Nog popped up but then I knew herb has been premature before.

I thought it was fine though, because herb knew that Nog had been dropped several times before in the fight. So no complaints here.
hotrodttt
12/28/08 4:17:39PM
It was a Justified Stoppage imo, having a 265 Pound guy hit you that hard in a short burst can so some Damage
Bowen50
12/28/08 4:19:16PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i am 100% with you nickcuc, at first i thought it was a bad stoppage since it was Nog in there, but when he stood up he was on wobbly legs and barely was able to stand on his own accord; which in my mind validated the stoppage.

exactly, i was questioning the stoppage until Nog stood up and was wobbly. great stoppage in my opinion.
Jackelope
12/28/08 4:23:19PM

Posted by hotrodttt

It was a Justified Stoppage imo, having a 265 Pound guy hit you that hard in a short burst can so some Damage

251 minus the beer gut
higdon10
12/28/08 4:23:29PM

Posted by Jackelope
All in all I think the stoppage was fine and that it would have been merely a prolonging of the inevitable (Mir was clearly dominant)

Aether
12/28/08 4:28:17PM
yeah, like most people I was initially shocked that they didn't allow it to go on at least for a few more seconds, but when they replayed it and showed him standing up it seemed justified. I guess it's just the fact that we've seen the guy take so much punishment time and time again. If he had a few seconds to recover he most likely would have, but it really didn't look like Frank was going to be as generous as Heath was.
Wolfenstein
12/28/08 4:46:33PM
I think Nog should have been given more leeway considering his history for recovering from worse. He got up and he was on rubber legs, but he also got up on wobbley legs against Herring and won. I think he was knocked own three times and because of that, the ref jumped in early on the ground. I just think this is Nog's style and you have to let the story play out. I didn't see his eyes roll back, or his head fall limp on the canvas. I think he ould have pushed through it, but there's no arguing Mir was in full control. I just would have liked to see it go a little further.
tooly236
12/28/08 5:22:25PM
I agree Nog has came back from some bad situations, but this is not Japan. And if MMA wants to stay in the spotlight, they can not afford a death in the ring, I think Nog was not coming back anyways.
Marebear05
12/28/08 5:43:22PM
All I Have To Say Is That Fight Really Took Me By Shock! I Wanted Mir To Win, But I Honestly Thought He Didnt Really Have A Chance Against Nog. Mir Really Showed That He's Recovered And Ready To Fight Again, Though . . He Put On An Amazing Fight. . & He's Back In The Game =)
ncordless
12/28/08 5:47:07PM
I am ok with the stoppage... although I have seen Nog in worse condition and the fight was allowed to continue and he won.
ultimateweapon
12/28/08 6:16:25PM
i felt the same way i thought the fight could have kept on going because of nogs ability to withstand punishment, but when he stood up and was completely out of it i knew the stoppage was justified

good win for Mir I hope he beats brock and gets that belt back
dannyfrank
12/28/08 6:35:30PM
i dont think there was anything wrong with it. i didnt seem right at first, but when i watched the replay, i noticed that nog went limp for a second, which is when the match was stopped.
cmb19932
12/28/08 6:43:03PM
well everyone on here is cool about it but any one who says it was early is just being a cry babie mir dominated end of story.
imanidiot777
12/28/08 6:54:00PM
Well the consensus seems to be that once we saw him wobble it was justified. I totally agree with that I was surprised at first and then it was like "wow he really did get rocked."
cheesy-maggot
12/28/08 7:02:46PM
Maybe a couple more seconds because I mean it is Noguiera. Also im not sure if its just me because I haven't seen the fight again, but it seemed that Noguiera was trying to get Mir in his guard and was still moving.
MikeyG
12/28/08 7:08:47PM
nog was wobbly after he got up from the herring head kick and plenty of other times but always recovers and goes on to win... or lose by decision, do i think it was a good stoppage...idk, maybe he could have recovered but nog didnt look like he was defending himself well and i think fighter safety is key so in that sense it was a good stoppage

its sad to see nogs time pass from watching him for so long
ohiostate1016
12/28/08 7:34:45PM
Of course I wanted Herb to let Nog go longer just to see if he could somehow pull out the win again, but there was just something in Nog's eyes that said he didn't want to be in there. And that's when guys get hurt. Even though I don't think that Mir was as dominant as he was made out to be in that fight, I do think it was a good stoppage, because I really didn't want to see Nog get seriously hurt.

hails
12/28/08 7:35:10PM
The bigger question, is how come Mir could do what all the others had trouble doing, and that is finishing Big Nog!!!

I couldn't believe it, man Mir seemed to have some power in his hands!!!
hotrodttt
12/28/08 7:36:16PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by hotrodttt

251 minus the beer gut

Well Yeah that's what he weighed in at but when he shows up to Fight he's arounf 260
Jackelope
12/28/08 7:50:40PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by hotrodttt

251 minus the beer gut

Well Yeah that's what he weighed in at but when he shows up to Fight he's arounf 260

LOL, heavyweights don't cut weight and gain 15 lbs overnight, bro. Only huge heavyweights like Carwin or Lesnar. He's well within the 265 weight limit.. why would he cut weight?
The-Don
12/28/08 8:32:44PM
I counted like 12 solid shots that were not blocked at all after the two that dropped him that time.. plus the other drops.. It was completely justified under the rules for a stoppage.. Now to say Nog may not have found a chance to come back.. Who knows... He is Nog after all.. But he was not defending himself during thos moments and did not look like he could.. I was shocked by the results... I am at a loss now between Mir and Lesnar for the next fight I like both fighters...
Rollins
12/28/08 8:40:37PM
I believe it was a fine stoppage, not what I wanted to see but it is what it is... Grats to Mir for doing what no one else has ever done. Respect to Mir.
cmill21
12/28/08 8:49:26PM

Posted by The-Don

I counted like 12 solid shots that were not blocked at all after the two that dropped him that time.. plus the other drops.. It was completely justified under the rules for a stoppage.. Now to say Nog may not have found a chance to come back.. Who knows... He is Nog after all.. But he was not defending himself during thos moments and did not look like he could.. I was shocked by the results... I am at a loss now between Mir and Lesnar for the next fight I like both fighters...

To me it looked like only one or two acctually connected, and one did make Nog's head snap, but I just don't see how they let Forrest eat like 11-12 unblocked bombs and a guy with Nog's reputation wasn't allowed to continue for a bit more. It looked like he was going to get guard and from there who knows. I just think it's like if a ref woulden't give Mark Hunt a 10 count in K-1 after Cro Cop dropped him.
hotrodttt
12/29/08 3:31:10AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by hotrodttt

251 minus the beer gut

LOL, heavyweights don't cut weight and gain 15 lbs overnight, bro. Only huge heavyweights like Carwin or Lesnar. He's well within the 265 weight limit.. why would he cut weight?

Yes I know this lol, I've been Wrestling for 13 Years haha, what I was trying to say is that Mir wasn't working out and when you go out and eat the night before and don't work it off before a Fight, then then your bound to gain about 2-3 Pounds so I just basically proved myself wrong lol, so Mir was around 255 at Fight time lol
telnights
12/29/08 5:00:45AM
I re watched the fight a few times. It was a fair stoppage even being Nog. He had got caught a lot of times in the fight with hard shots and going down on 3 of them. The last one he hit the ground and Mir was all over him landing hard shot after shot. Even if it was allowed to go on Mir would have just keep GnP and nothing would have changed other than Nog getting hurt even worse. Then if you watch Nog couldn't even stand on his own feet after the stoppage. He was done and nothing was going to change that.

Tel
Pages: [1] 2