Mir lock

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Mir lock
haggiswashere
11/19/08 12:17:56AM
Question for you Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guys. Was the Mir lock invented by Frank Mir, or was it called something else and then he made it famous or something?
Wolfenstein
11/19/08 12:50:50AM
It's been used before, but it's rare to see it used in competition. It would be called Maki Hiji or (Winding Elbow Lock).
loller90278
11/19/08 2:49:18AM
no this move has been around for ages, way before mir. its practically obsolete now and rarely used because its so ineffective nowadays
wiggum
11/19/08 10:02:42AM
does someone have a vid of this or a good explanation of it?.....its not ringing a bell, but i train no-gi grappling so sometimes names are mixed up
bayonetxwork
11/19/08 3:01:09PM

Posted by wiggum

does someone have a vid of this or a good explanation of it?.....its not ringing a bell, but i train no-gi grappling so sometimes names are mixed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMA2EpuM4x0 theres a link with a video tutorial on how to do it, hope it helps.
wiggum
11/19/08 3:06:16PM
yes thanks!...i totally realize what that it is, had it pulled on me a couple times matter of fact, ha...nothing i utilize tho, i should bring it in .....didnt know it was the "mir lock" tho
Jackelope
11/19/08 4:48:38PM
I'm honestly not sure that any move we see these days is "new" no matter how much people try to make it sound like it. There's usually some variation amazingly similar to something that's already been done.

I've been put in a Mir lock before, though. If applied correctly they are kind of scary to be put in. It goes from feeling like "WTF is this dude doing?" to "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!" haha
bayonetxwork
11/19/08 6:49:16PM

Posted by Jackelope
I've been put in a Mir lock before, though. If applied correctly they are kind of scary to be put in. It goes from feeling like "WTF is this dude doing?" to "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!" haha

I agree haha, when i was first put it one, I thought the kid was just tryin glike a loose overhook thing because i was postured up, but noooo, that hurt like a mofo
The-Don
11/19/08 10:53:11PM
I learned a couple of moves very similar to that last week... I like that variation.
State_Champ
11/26/08 4:00:57PM
i think i've heard miguel torres refer to that move as a "front kimura"
madmarck
12/3/08 9:15:33AM

Posted by loller90278

no this move has been around for ages, way before mir. its practically obsolete now and rarely used because its so ineffective nowadays

Its actually very effective for BJJ. You get a guys arm and to avoid a inverted armbar he will pull it out which and leave you with this lock.
Once you get it scissor you legs and the guy is ******.