Giving Mir Too Much / Too Little Credit ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Giving Mir Too Much / Too Little Credit ?
POLL: Will Mir Be A Force In The HW Division Again ?
Yes 21% (6)
No 38% (11)
Maybe 28% (8)
Let's See If He Gets Past Big Nog 14% (4)
Southpaw82
9/22/07 3:55:46PM
In Frank Mir's 13 pro MMA fights, only 2 have gone the distance. Also, 2 of his 3 losses have come after the life changing accident he sufferred. With a record of 10-3-0, and after his quick sub over Hardonk, do you think we could actually see Mir come back to challenge for the title ? He is looking a bit more on key as of late.

I personally like Mir, always have. I was dissappointed in a couple of his recent performances, but I think he's young enough to recover. If he's given enough time.

Sorry for another Mir thread, haven't been on in a while..........

Twenty20Dollars
9/22/07 4:04:30PM
Well rumors are he's fighting Cheick Kongo possibly, so we could be giving mir too much credit because Hardonk and Kongo do not even have a close ground game to mir's. Mir is going to have to work really hard on his stand up if he even thinks about the title.
Copenhagen
9/22/07 4:21:53PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well rumors are he's fighting Cheick Kongo possibly, so we could be giving mir too much credit because Hardonk and Kongo do not even have a close ground game to mir's. Mir is going to have to work really hard on his stand up if he even thinks about the title.

No, rumors are he's fighting Big Nog.
cmill21
9/22/07 4:28:48PM
No that was reported as false. Nog is rumored to be fighting AA, and Mir and kongo.
mrsmiley
9/22/07 5:00:33PM
To be honest,I have never realy been that impressed with Mir.I don't know what it is,but him and Tim Silvia never never struck me as amazing.

I think Mir might have lost focused and spent too much time partying or something.In his second fight with Wes Simms,his cardio looked about as good as Chris Lebens at UFN 11.
tepid55
9/22/07 5:15:19PM
Frank Mir could be heavyweight champion again.
hook_tothe_body
9/22/07 5:22:49PM

Posted by mrsmiley

To be honest,I have never realy been that impressed with Mir.I don't know what it is,but him and Tim Silvia never never struck me as amazing.

I think Mir might have lost focused and spent too much time partying or something.In his second fight with Wes Simms,his cardio looked about as good as Chris Lebens at UFN 11.

Yeah, that was a good fight for some of the start, it had a really good ending, but there was this big stall time where Mir was just laying on Sims trying to catch his breath.

I don't really doubt the fact that Mir trains hard, but Mir is a big guy. To my memory, the lightest I've seen him is like 245 pounds. But sometimes he shows up at like 250 or 255 pounds. Maybe he needs to get his eating under control, who knows.

All I know is that Mir is a very intelligent guy/fighter. I don't think he's going to keep fighting if he keeps performing badly, so I think he's going to train hard, eat clean and do everything he can to put on good performances and get back to tapping people out. He's a great jiu jitsu guy.

I voted maybe.
babalu2720
9/22/07 5:46:38PM
I voted mayve, I think he can be a perrenial main card guy on fight night and ppv cards, but he'll never hold the belt again
Mastodon2
9/22/07 6:40:18PM
I actually give Mir a good chance against Kongo. Mir, if he can avoid gassing, can get the takedown on Kongo, which should not be too difficult, then he could probably GnP then sub him without too much incident.

Doubtlessly loads of uneducated MMA fans who think fighter math actually works will then say "omg Frank Mir beat Kongo, who just beat Cro Cop, therefore a past his prime Mir > Cro Cop, Cro is nothing Pride HWs are terrible what" and make all kinds of crazy assumptions.

Should be a good fight though. Kongo can be quite an exciting fighter, his wins over Gilbert Aldana (UFC 61) and Christian Wellish(UFC 62) were ace. I remember seeing him after he beat Wellish and give an interview afterwards, saying he fought on two PPVs straight since he wanted to establish himself, and I actually thought at the time "Wow, this guys striking is pretty fierce, he might go somewhere with that". He is gonna get another chance here. Sure, Mir, even before his accident, is not a win of Cro Cop calibre, but if he has any common sense, Kongo will work his sprawl and ground game even more, to defend against Mir's offensive strengths. This fight could only make Kongo a better fighter in the long run.

If Mir can't secure a takedown and establish ground control early then its going to be a tough night for him. Kongo's striking will cut him down, he held back against Cro Cop at times since with a striker of Cro Cop's ability, speed and power, the fight ending punch can come at any time. I don't think Kongo needs to worrky about that with Mir, so he should be playing fast and loose.

Good fight if it happens, and I think it should, so that Nogueira can fight AA or someone who has a bit more rep to establish himself with UFC fans who don't know what a beast he is. That said, a fight with AA, who looks to be declining (sadly, I think the rock n roll lifestyle he lives is getting to him once again, like it did after he won his first 2 UFC fights) will test Nogueira, who didnt exactly look his old self against Herring. If AA puts up a good fight and Nogueira wins, we know he's still got it. If Nog loses, AA can start getting back into his stride hopefully. The HW decision is a exciting division right now, its went from lacking to great in only a few months. I'm disappointed Cro Cop isn't dominating like he has the ability to, but its great all the same. So many great fighters and beautiful potential matches!
Rush
9/22/07 6:55:33PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I wasn't going to post in this thread until I found someone that feels the same way I do.

Mir has a good record on paper, but a lot of his notable wins were on guys that were on big losing streaks at the time.

Tank - 4 fight losing streak
Pete - 3 fight losing streak
Wes - 1-6 losing streak

A number of his other wins are against mediocre guys.
Travern
Smith
Quinn
Christison
Hardonk

I see Mir as a gatekeeper at this point in his career with little chance of getting a title shot. If he can perform well and prove me wrong, then that's ok because then I'll be watching some good HW fights.
Al_B_Sure
9/22/07 8:40:05PM
While I think Kongo's wrestling is pure shit, he actually has pretty good submission defense. I think Kongo would KO Mir in the 3rd round, after Mir gasses.

Mir beat Hardonk, but Hardonk is a shit fighter with no ground game at all. Did anyone see the McCully fight? Horrible.
bls1919
9/22/07 9:39:38PM
whoever Mir fights i think it will be a good test for him. There are a lot of good guys in that division. Personaly i like him, and want him to do good but time will tell us the truth with this fighter.