Mir vs Hardonk - UFN

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mir vs Hardonk - UFN
ffforgottenx
2/13/07 12:09:01PM
source

frank mir vs antoni hardonk at ultimate fight night 9..

is anybody else not wanting to see this fight? im glad they are bringing hardonk back, as he is a good heavyweight striker, but against mir??

after hearing how frank said he was 'back to his old ways' and 'snapping things' like he used to, only to be manhandled by brandon vera, i am not in the least bit excited to see him back again.. he looked absolutely terrible against vera, even worse against christison.. it sounds more to me like a stepping stone to build up hardonk by having him face a 'legit veteran' with a name.. if he beats mir, he beat frank mir.. if mir beats him, its no big deal, because its frank mir.. hopefully its a prelim.. mir may have been the champion once, but i dont think he will ever be even close to a top contender in the UFC again..
hippysmacker
2/13/07 12:15:08PM
It's sad to me too. Mir should take more time off and rehab until he's actually made more progress. Hardonk does need to show a little more ground aptitude though. I haven't seen enough of him to make a concrete opinion. He looked impressive against a gassed Pendergrass, but what does that mean? I'm prone to agree with you as far as them throwing Mir to Hardonk, but is it possible Mir actually get s a takedown and subs him.
pv3Hpv3p
2/13/07 12:16:01PM
You summed it up pretty well there... Frank's just going to be a stepping stone in a very young HW division...

Unless the UFC hopes that he will come back to form... It's a damn shame, the guy had a lot of potential a few years back.
JoeMimic
2/13/07 12:32:50PM
I understand why the UFC keeps giving him chances but he just hasn't shown anything since his return. I really thought his loss to Vera would be the last we'd see of him for awhile but apparently they want to see him get brutally Ko'd. He looked terrible against Pe De Pano and got TKO'd via strikes in that fight. Pe De Pano is not exactly known for his standup game. His win against Dan Christison wasn't impressive both of them gassed early and he won the fight based on a few takedowns he didn't really do anything.

As for his fight with Brandon Vera his standup looked better to start but once Vera really started throwing he got caught and it was done. Hardonk might just end Mir's UFC career.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Trapt1nw0nder
2/13/07 12:33:47PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

source

is anybody else not wanting to see this fight? im glad they are bringing hardonk back, as he is a good heavyweight striker, but against mir??

after hearing how frank said he was 'back to his old ways' and 'snapping things' like he used to, only to be manhandled by brandon vera, i am not in the least bit excited to see him back again.. he looked absolutely terrible against vera, even worse against christison.. it sounds more to me like a stepping stone to build up hardonk by having him face a 'legit veteran' with a name.. if he beats mir, he beat frank mir.. if mir beats him, its no big deal, because its frank mir.. hopefully its a prelim.. mir may have been the champion once, but i dont think he will ever be even close to a top contender in the UFC again..

i think Mir really showed alot of improvment when he fought Vera,but come on Vera is a beast! i still think Hardonk has it won,but yeah..if Mir finds a way to take it to the mat he can possibly submit him or win LnP style

i would like for Hardonk to win since i would love a fight with him and CroCop in the future
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/13/07 2:52:11PM

Posted by hippysmacker

It's sad to me too. Mir should take more time off and rehab until he's actually made more progress. Hardonk does need to show a little more ground aptitude though. I haven't seen enough of him to make a concrete opinion. He looked impressive against a gassed Pendergrass, but what does that mean? I'm prone to agree with you as far as them throwing Mir to Hardonk, but is it possible Mir actually get s a takedown and subs him.

I watched Hardonk on ROTR against Wes Sims and Hardonk won via sub.

I also watch him beat Ibrahim Megamadov (Red devils submissons guy) and Hardonk beat him badly too.

Im calling it now Hardonk is going to beat Mir badly
tepid55
2/13/07 3:02:52PM
This might be the fight that Mir needs to get back on track.
Stickan
2/13/07 3:12:07PM
Frank will lose.

FRANK! Please retire and become a commentator!
Greene33
2/13/07 4:24:12PM
Every Frank Mir fight i have watched since his accident... i die a little inside.

I mean has any fighter experianced such a drop off in preformance like this? I know he was injured and all but damn he used to be one of the scariest fighters in all of MMA.

other than possiably Vitor i cant think of another fighter that has looked this bad after looking so good.
Greene33
2/13/07 4:25:10PM
Dude i have been saying that for a year now, it probably wont happen.
waylon_o
2/13/07 4:28:52PM

Posted by tepid55

This might be the fight that Mir needs to get back on track.

More likely it will be the fight that retires Frank Mir for good.
BrAeDeN91
2/13/07 5:59:45PM
ya i dont think mir can handle hardonk. hardonk beat pendergarst pretty badly. the only chance of mir winning is the fight going to the ground. but i think this is a bad idea for mir to take this fight.
SteedTheDeed
2/13/07 6:01:50PM
nooo!!! i want frank to get a win and i don't think hardonk is gonna be the guy to lose to frank. give him a can.
Sagat_GSP12
2/13/07 7:15:03PM
I dunno man, I keep saying I want Mir to get a win and make a triumphant return to grace but... I just don't see it happening anymore. Maybe it's just time I let Mir drift away into memory and hope he gets a quick KO so it can finally be over. "He coulda been a contenda," but that injury set him back years. Maybe he'd be a good commentator?
Snacks
2/13/07 7:19:31PM
Frank Mir needs to quit, everything.
teamquestnorth
2/13/07 8:05:57PM
mir got brutally grounded and pounded by pe da pano thats pretty damn sad
hathcock32
2/13/07 11:08:13PM
I honestly could see a Frank Mir comeback trail.....but lets just wait and see....UFC 74 Mir vs Cro Cop
Sagat_GSP12
2/14/07 12:37:06AM
Jesus do you want Mir to die???
aceprone
2/14/07 12:49:50AM

Posted by Greene33

Every Frank Mir fight i have watched since his accident... i die a little inside.

I mean has any fighter experianced such a drop off in preformance like this? I know he was injured and all but damn he used to be one of the scariest fighters in all of MMA.

other than possiably Vitor i cant think of another fighter that has looked this bad after looking so good.

David Loiuesau, is a good example. He needs to fight someone who isn't a threat to him at all and work his way back up or something. But his confidence has evaporated into thin air.
aceprone
2/14/07 12:59:17AM
I'm predicting with this fight with Hardonk, Mir will be in worse shape then before because after his loss with Brandon Vera I don't see him caring anymore. I think his leg affected him too much. I don't blame nor do I hate him. I liked him alot but I just think this may be his last fight on his contract and he'll retire. I truly hope I'm wrong!
Svartorm
2/14/07 1:49:59AM
Wow. A guy with phenominal leg kicks verse a guy who was out for a year after breaking his leg? Sounds like a recipe for retirement to me. Sucks to be Mir, but you reap what you sow.

Honestly, I hate when fighters break guys limbs unneccessarily because they're taking another mans livelyhood from him for a selfish reason, whether its to feed their own ego or make a reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if the car that hit him had "karma" for a licence plate.
madmarck
2/14/07 11:02:10AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by ffforgottenx

source

i think Mir really showed alot of improvment when he fought Vera,but come on Vera is a beast! i still think Hardonk has it won,but yeah..if Mir finds a way to take it to the mat he can possibly submit him or win LnP style

i would like for Hardonk to win since i would love a fight with him and CroCop in the future

Improve ment against Vera? Mir didnt get a chance. He got taken down and owned. I like Mir but he has got to get his act together. Lets hope he knocks out Wes Sims again.
loller90278
2/14/07 12:44:57PM
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say mir wins this won

i like this guy too much
Trapt1nw0nder
2/14/07 12:55:04PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by ffforgottenx

source

Improve ment against Vera? Mir didnt get a chance. He got taken down and owned. I like Mir but he has got to get his act together. Lets hope he knocks out Wes Sims again.

if you saw the fight you can tell Mir really improved in his boxing...they even say it "looks like Mir has been working on his striking"
not only that but he looked in much better shape that he did when he fought Christison...
Trapt1nw0nder
2/14/07 1:01:00PM