Who should Mir fight next?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who should Mir fight next?
Next Page »
chickmagnet
2/16/08 12:54:15AM
I'm thinking Eddie Sanchez or maybe GG, although i think style wise Sanchez is a better opponent for Mir
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/16/08 1:23:45AM
ehhh...herring kongo winner since werdum gets noguera
but i wouldnt mind seein him in there with sanchez or gg
sonicsmokesweed
2/16/08 2:17:50AM
Frank Mir Vs Brandon Vera Rematch will be good the guy that said Eddie Sanchez i disagree i think Eddie Vs Anthony Hardonk would be a better matchup at this point
Ordep
2/16/08 2:27:00AM

Werdum (if he doesn't go vs Nog) otherwise... Sanchez
candynuts
2/16/08 2:48:24AM
Sylvia or winner of Kongo/Herring
LuketheDuke
2/16/08 2:53:42AM
gg vs mir would make for an interesting match. it would be a clinic of heavyweight jiu-jitsu from both men
BlazinSaddle
2/16/08 3:34:34AM
mir should snap eddies leg for taunting soa
telnights
2/16/08 3:45:58AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

ehhh...herring kongo winner since werdum gets noguera
but i wouldnt mind seein him in there with sanchez or gg

gartface
2/16/08 4:04:09AM
Brandon Vera rematch.
Jackelope
2/16/08 5:25:22AM
As much as I'd hate to see the two fight again, I think the one that makes a lot of sense right now is Sylvia vs. Mir. I'm sure Sylvia wants the fight pretty bad. Of course there are the Sylvia rumors, though.

Mir vs. Vera would be a good one, too. I'd like to see Vera get put in his place vs. Mir, but then again I don't want Vera to have to suffer too many losses here.

Or, hell.. throw him in with Kongo and let him rip Kongo's arm, leg, throat, ankle, whatever off. Kongo really needs to face a good JJ guy just to validate his position in the rankings. If Kongo were to knock off a good BJJ guy I'd have a lot more respect for his prowess.

Against Herring I just can't see Mir taking it. Herring has been in the ring/cage with Nog way too many times without getting caught in a slick submission. I don't see how Mir could pull it off if Nog couldn't.
ChokeUout
2/16/08 1:02:54PM
I'm just gonna assume they don't give Werdum the next title shot and they come to their sences, which case I think Werdum and Vera would make tons of sense...

As for Mir, The most likely senario is to have him face Either Herring or Kongo. Although, What I'm hoping for is for Arlovski to smash O'Brien and get a new contract, in which case I THink Mir and Arlovski would be a nice match. So would Sylvia and Mir, and the Marketing for that match would be easy as pie. But, again, there's the issue of TImmy's contract. (Man, Contracts are an Issue the UFC really needs to improve on)

I think Facing either Gonzaga or Sanchez would be a step down for Mir.
whardin19
2/16/08 1:45:46PM
If Slyvia wants to leave the UFC like has been going around I'd feed Slyvia to Mir because Mir would sub him like Nog did. But if not I like the idea of a Brandon Vera rematch or giving him the winner of the Herring/Kongo matchup.
nickcuc547
2/16/08 2:07:00PM
rematch with big tim, lets see if mir is legit or not.
loonytnt
2/16/08 2:50:50PM
tim vs brock
mir vs GG same card imo
imanidiot777
2/16/08 2:54:14PM
Definitely Tim vs. Brock after all the smack that Lesnar talked about him looking like the swamp thing. Mir should fight GG.
ncordless
2/16/08 2:59:43PM
Mir kneebarred an opponent who had 1 fight in his career. I don't think he should be even sniffing at a top match up yet. I'd say throw him against someone who has been down a bit lately. GG would be a good fight for both fighters at this point. I could see Mir getting the loser of Herring/Kongo, but not the winner. A rematch with Vera might be good for Mir, but what is the point of it for Vera? Mir has to be at least two fights away from a shot at the title. He needs to beat a proven commodity before he gets a potential #1 contender match.
Rabi
2/16/08 3:08:21PM

Against Herring I just can't see Mir taking it. Herring has been in the ring/cage with Nog way too many times without getting caught in a slick submission

Nog submitted Herring in there first match with an Anaconda choke.
Jackelope
2/16/08 4:04:12PM

Posted by Rabi

Against Herring I just can't see Mir taking it. Herring has been in the ring/cage with Nog way too many times without getting caught in a slick submission

I realize that, but that's 1/3 times. IMO Nog's submissions are a level above Mir's
Bowen50
2/16/08 4:11:25PM
Sylvia
jiujitsufreak74
2/16/08 4:15:44PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rabi

I realize that, but that's 1/3 times. IMO Nog's submissions are a level above Mir's

well i just want to say to rabi that it was actually in their second match that big nog won by anaconda choke, their first and last fight were decisions.

i 100% agree with Jakelope here that big nog's BJJ game in terms of how well it translates into MMA usage is one step above mir, and every one else in the sport. herring has always had great submission defense and has only been submitted once really. the other submission loss he has was in his second fight against evan tanner where he verbally submitted from exhaustion. i can't see mir submitting herring from any angle, and his win against lesnar doesn't give me more confidence in his JJ whatsoever. he still needs to prove that his JJ is at the level it was when he was champion, and to me he still hasn't proven it yet. i see herring beating mir, i see him beating kongo in two weeks and i can see him facing o'brien and avenging his loss. the only people i can't see him beating are fedor, CC and of course big nog. in order to convince me that mir could submit herring he has to submit someone like big tim again or i won't buy it.
tuvok500
2/16/08 4:28:57PM
I think Mir should face Kongo after his win over Herring !!

Herring should face Vera to determine who is the # 10 in the HW division.

I don't see herring as good as some peoples are thinking, i think Kongo will dismantle him in 2 weeks and after his win he will be submit like a kid against Mir in some months!!

Jackelope
2/16/08 7:02:45PM
Herring isn't that impressive in any particular fashion besides maybe his wrestling and his defensive abilities. I see what you mean Tuvok, but Kongo going against a guy who has been in with the level of competition that Herring has, and Herring not being afraid in the least to stand up and brawl leads to disaster for Kongo IMO.

I am not really sure that the Texas Crazy Horse will be able to finish Kongo, but I see a relatively boring takedown game for 3 rounds. Once it's on the ground I can't see Kongo having any kind of an answer for Herring. On the feet I wouldn't even be surprised to see a punch come straight down the middle classic boxing style knocking Kongo out. The way he keeps his elbows out while striking is just SO sloppy that I want to get in there and throw one down his pipe myself. Although I'm sure he'd whoop my ass, I think I might be able to land a stiff jab on him haha
Jackelope
2/16/08 7:03:40PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rabi

well i just want to say to rabi that it was actually in their second match that big nog won by anaconda choke, their first and last fight were decisions.

i 100% agree with Jakelope here that big nog's BJJ game in terms of how well it translates into MMA usage is one step above mir, and every one else in the sport. herring has always had great submission defense and has only been submitted once really. the other submission loss he has was in his second fight against evan tanner where he verbally submitted from exhaustion. i can't see mir submitting herring from any angle, and his win against lesnar doesn't give me more confidence in his JJ whatsoever. he still needs to prove that his JJ is at the level it was when he was champion, and to me he still hasn't proven it yet. i see herring beating mir, i see him beating kongo in two weeks and i can see him facing o'brien and avenging his loss. the only people i can't see him beating are fedor, CC and of course big nog. in order to convince me that mir could submit herring he has to submit someone like big tim again or i won't buy it.

Was gonna give props, but I gotta spread the love man
gcraig22
2/16/08 9:06:07PM
Mir should fight Gonzaga, then Kongo. Mir has a better stand-up than Gonzaga, and a better ground game than Kongo.

As for Herring, he should get a rematch versus O'Brian.
hails
2/16/08 11:35:20PM
I really would like to see

tim vs brock
mir vs GG same card imo

or even better still sign up AA and let AA fight Mir, we will see how good Mir is.

I think Mir is not as good as everyone is claiming he is!!!

I think that the UFC would be so crazy to feed Lesnar to Tim as Tim will be a huge match up for him,

Lesnar should get Soa P. or another can like Eddie s.
aolverizon
2/18/08 3:12:53AM
I think either a rematch with Sylvia or the winner of the Herring/Kongo fight. I think fighting Sanchez is taking a step down, i mean Lesnar isnt top of the food chain, but Mir has won his last couple fights and i would like to see him fight someone a little higher up then Eddie.
Jackelope
2/18/08 3:47:44AM
You know.. I'm sitting here thinking about it and Mir vs. GG actually sort of makes sense. We haven't really seen Mir go up against a grade A submission guy yet, but we've seen him go up against guys with pretty decent standup. He beat Tim Sylvia back in the day, lost to Vera, and subbed Hardonk quick. 2/3 on strikers, but what about BJJ guys?

Gonzaga is well rounded enough to give a good test on all levels, so my thoughts now are that this match up makes a lot of sense.
disturbed_fighter
2/18/08 9:26:46AM
the winner of kongo and herring
MikeBillotto
2/19/08 12:16:05AM
it either should be vera or should be GG because those are the top heavyweights besides big nog and arlovski.. so if mir beats vera then fights arlovski then he gets a title shot in my opinion
snakeman88
2/19/08 12:40:20PM
I think Gonzaga/Mir makes a lot of sense
Pages: [1] 2