Mir's chances

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mir's chances
MFOTHER
5/16/08 9:51:06AM
Although once a great HW champ, people seeme to have written off Mir after his accident. Although i'm not sure he should have been first in line for the belt, i'm wondering if all the recent attention he's gotten snce the Brock fight, could re energize Mir, and motivate him to work hard for his title shot.
Im sure most people will say it wont matter, (i agree Nog has him beat pretty much everywhere) but i hink if anything is going to get him going again, its that huge profile win, and TUF.

ultimately i think with his overall skill and knowledge of the sport, he has a much better chance of winning the TUF season as a coach, than the fight afterwards.
pv3Hpv3p
5/16/08 10:26:40AM
I think Mir's chances are better than average... He's a big strong guy with great jui jitsu that translates really well into MMA, much like Nog... While Nogueira has been able to pull off some of the most incredible wins in the sport, most of them have been against quality strikers...

Nog is no pushover, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight go a lot like his fight with Ricco did, except the judging might be a little more on par... With all that being said, I think Nog's got a big edge in the stand up and should exploit that to the best of his abilities...
tepid55
5/16/08 11:19:33AM
I think Mir can out-wrestle Nogueira.
TimW001
5/16/08 11:24:42AM
For the sake of a joke....

I think Mir will look like the better fighter for most of the fight, then Nog will pull off a crazy sub.

TWITA
5/16/08 11:47:20AM
Mir seems to be training harder for fights than he had in the past. Not saying that he'll be champ again but if he stays on the path he's been on recently, he should continue to rack up wins.
Franklinfan47
5/16/08 12:31:05PM
Mir's chances= 0
IriShame
5/16/08 1:32:04PM
He's got just as good a chance as anybody else in the division. At the least it will be a good matchup of jiu jitsu. I'm giving Nog the nod though.
Aaronno9
5/16/08 1:46:06PM
I think nog will knock mir out tbh. Mir might out wrestle nog and get him to the ground, but theres no way hes going to get the sub, just like i dont think nog will beable to get a sub either. Anyways, i think mir controls the first round, gasses, and nog gets a k.o in the 2nd round.
Jackelope
5/16/08 2:09:09PM
Mir's chances lie in how hard he works his cardio. If all of the sudden over these next few months his cardio has gone through the roof then he may be able to get a Ricco Rodriguez style "win" (although judges call it a loss) over Noguiera. He's definitely got to get it to the ground early, though. His chin isn't all that great and his boxing isn't, either. Remember, Brock Lesnar slipped a punch through on Mir. God knows what Nog can do.
prozacnation1978
5/16/08 7:14:37PM
work on his cardio, but i think he will gas out by second round and get submitted, either way i am picking big nog in this one
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/16/08 8:31:55PM
I will be going for Mir to win.
bls1919
5/16/08 8:33:21PM
IMO this will be fight of the night and sub of the night. Mir will com on heavy early with Big Nog takeing it late.
89vision
5/16/08 8:40:26PM
He might have beaten Nog when Mir was in his prime, but that motorcycle accident did a number on him and as a result isnt as good before. However I think he could win a decision on Nog if this fight happens. I would pick Nog though.
jgtribbett
5/16/08 9:59:47PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Mir can out-wrestle Nogueira.

'

true.. but can he out jitz the guy is the question.. i can outwrestle the majority of ppl in my bjj class.. but they tap me.. all the damn time.. hahaha

mir's chances are good.. but i dont see him finishing if he wins..
jomatty
5/16/08 10:57:57PM
i think mir will have a very good chance of winning the early rounds but i just dont see his gas tank being good enough to go all five rounds hard and he certainly isnt gonna put nog away either with a ko/tko/ r submission. he may win the first two rounds but will either get caught or ground out in the last 3 rounds imo.
candynuts
5/16/08 11:38:08PM
Watching Nog outstrike Herring (excluding that leg kick) scares me to want to pick Mir. To me Mir is at a distinct disadvantage on their feet.
However, with a long time to prepare for this fight, I think Mir will have good enough cardio to last 5 rounds if needed. Both as a Mir and a Nog fan, im kinda torn to pick who to pick at the moment but I do believe Mir's chances at winning would be somewhere between 15-20%. I think he could be able to control Nog if Mir is able to take him down. But then again, Mir does not have the GnP of Fedor, so I dont see him stopping Nog. Maybe Nog should try to keep it standing where he knows he ultimately has the advantage of just mainly a BJJ much like he did in the Werdum fight.
Mchubb316
5/17/08 12:27:50AM

Posted by MFOTHER

Although once a great HW champ, people seeme to have written off Mir after his accident. Although i'm not sure he should have been first in line for the belt, i'm wondering if all the recent attention he's gotten snce the Brock fight, could re energize Mir, and motivate him to work hard for his title shot.
Im sure most people will say it wont matter, (i agree Nog has him beat pretty much everywhere) but i hink if anything is going to get him going again, its that huge profile win, and TUF.

ultimately i think with his overall skill and knowledge of the sport, he has a much better chance of winning the TUF season as a coach, than the fight afterwards.

Nog is just better than Mir at just about everything. The gap in Talent is not overwheming in one area, but he just is that much better in more skills than Mir.
MFOTHER
5/18/08 7:07:21PM
basically what i meant by this thread was .... a fighters can be invigorated be crtain things, and put them into a new mindset, and turn ther careers around. I think TUF has done that. Serra is a prime example, as well as pulver (being ready to stop fighting, then doing TUF and wining however many straight at the lower weight class)
Although mir has been O.K lately, i think TUF could bring out a new passion for trying to get back on track....will it be enough? who knows....but its a lot more exciting fight imo.

Having a huge amount of time to train isnt gonna hurt either
Pookie
5/19/08 12:35:54AM
Nog 95 % of the time.

decken
5/19/08 8:31:03AM
I really like this fight to bad we have to wait 7 months for it. I really want MIr to win. For some odd reason I have never been a fan of NOG. Maybe its because NOG's fights always remind me of Rocky 2 or Karate KId like movies where the Protagonist is losing the fight then Magically wins at the end. With that said I give the edge to NOG I think he has the edge on everything but wrestling.