Mir and Big Nog to Coach TUF 8

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mir and Big Nog to Coach TUF 8
Next Page »
juanez13
5/12/08 6:25:27PM
Its official says Adam Swift.

LINK

also confirmed by the UFC.

LINK
flainthefacerh
5/12/08 6:26:40PM
hmmm, does that mean if Brock Lesnar beat Mir, he would've gotten a title shot at big nog?
iwannabesedated
5/12/08 6:33:53PM
Wow the fighters on the next TUF should develop awesome ground skills with these 2 as coaches.
emac_cleary
5/12/08 6:42:09PM
does mir get the next title shot??? thats a horrible decision by the ufc mir is a one dimensional fighter no place for him to be a trainer never mind a title contender (no disrespect to mir but he needs to improve his striking and cardio before i think he can be a top 10 hw)
juanez13
5/12/08 6:45:12PM

Posted by flainthefacerh

hmmm, does that mean if Brock Lesnar beat Mir, he would've gotten a title shot at big nog?

Probably Not, its like If Kongo would have beaten Herring he probably would have gotten the shot, but Herring winning didnt earn him the title shot, doesnt always work Like that.

agree with 40ounces too, in terms of skill they should be one/if not the best coaches ever on TUF, Intersted in seeing who Nog brings as his assistant coaches, would be Sickk if he brought anderson silva as a special guest since i doubt he'd bring him everyday.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/12/08 6:45:45PM
This is so much better than getting a fighter that won his last 3 fights in Andrei Arlovski. I feel like I am watching WWE here. So did Mir sell the most T-shirts and needs the "push" . Am I watching a "sport" or "sports entertainment here"?

LAME
cmill21
5/12/08 6:51:20PM
I don't think Mir is anywhere near ready to challenge Nog. Mir's biggest strength is his JJ and he won't sub Nog. Nog's also a muuuuuch better boxer, so I don't know how he can win. Whatever Mir probably is the #2 HW in the UFC...
juanez13
5/12/08 6:52:03PM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

This is so much better than getting a fighter that won his last 3 fights in Andrei Arlovski. I feel like I am watching WWE here. So did Mir sell the most T-shirts and needs the "push" . Am I watching a "sport" or "sports entertainment here"?

LAME

first Off, arlovski is not with the UFC anymore, there is a chance they'll resign him but by that time would be too late for him to be a coach, not to mention it would be risky to Include him with a chance of him leaving. i agree Mir doesnt deserve it, but when you think about it there is really no one else (no arlovski for reasons stated above). Kongo would have been a possibility if he would have beaten herring, but that didnt happen. Vera coming off a loss, werdum still not known , lossing to arlovski. Mir coming off a win to a super-hyped lesnar, name recognition + being a former world champ makes him the top choice.
wrona666
5/12/08 6:57:11PM
This is totally lame they should not have title holders dooing these TUF shows now we wont see Nog defend the title for almost a year....BOOOOOOOOO
Franklinfan47
5/12/08 6:58:31PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

LAME

first Off, arlovski is not with the UFC anymore, there is a chance they'll resign him but by that time would be too late for him to be a coach, not to mention it would be risky to Include him with a chance of him leaving. i agree Mir doesnt deserve it, but when you think about it there is really no one else (no arlovski for reasons stated above). Kongo would have been a possibility if he would have beaten herring, but that didnt happen. Vera coming off a loss, werdum still not known , lossing to arlovski. Mir coming off a win to a super-hyped lesnar, name recognition + being a former world champ makes him the top choice.

In other words, politics and BS!
bigbubbano23
5/12/08 6:59:35PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
juanez13
5/12/08 7:01:37PM

Posted by wrona666

This is totally lame they should not have title holders dooing these TUF shows now we wont see Nog defend the title for almost a year....BOOOOOOOOO

Yea, Because The HW division is full of contenders waiting for their shot

tepid55
5/12/08 7:06:20PM
These guys will be the best coaches TUF has ever had.
backalley101
5/12/08 7:10:38PM

Posted by wrona666

I feel the same way no title holders on TUF
coldchillin
5/12/08 7:18:53PM
I thought Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin being the coaches would have been a better idea but this isn't as bad as many are making it out to be. It gives the UFC Heavyweight division time to play itself out, Noguiera was a great selection as a coach and Mir kind of got in there by default because Kongo would have got the title shot if he beat Herring. Mir is a decent choice though.

The rumors have Arlovski signing with Affliction soon, so he wasn't an option.
wrona666
5/12/08 7:24:28PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wrona666

So in your logic we should just let Nog hang out until there is a "good enough fighter" for him.......RETARDED....Title holders should be fighting at least twice and maybe three times a year disregarding injury....
teddythetuna
5/12/08 7:25:03PM
yeah to kep a title holder out of commission for a year or so is stupid.
candynuts
5/12/08 7:38:08PM
Im ok with the choices to be honest. Not much to pick from in the UFC HW division and Mir is a former champion. Im sure most people would rather have these two on TUF as coaches instead of Fighters from the other weight divisions because not too many people are huge fans of the HW division and would rather have that fight prolonged than say Rampage and Griffin for example.
prozacnation1978
5/12/08 7:46:15PM
we all knew this was gonna happen, mir is not ready, i am pissed cause the mir bout in july to a lousy card is know off, with afflication pay per view in july the ufc better add a good ass co main event to get those butts in the seats
juanez13
5/12/08 7:49:10PM

Posted by wrona666

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wrona666

So in your logic we should just let Nog hang out until there is a "good enough fighter" for him.......RETARDED....Title holders should be fighting at least twice and maybe three times a year disregarding injury....

The HW division right now is foggy, there is no real clear cut contenders, if Nog was to fight 2-3 times a year he would be fighting guys who would A-not deserve it and B-guys who arent ready, The top guys in the HW division right now are Vera- coming off a loss sylvia, Werdum-lost to arlvoski, Herring- beat Kongo, but lost to Nog, Kongo-coming off a loss to herring. the division is full of new talent (lesnar,velasquez, carwin, etc...) and they need some time to get some quality wins before stepping up. By having TUF it gives the division a chance to regroup and see who's at the top or not, by the time TUF ends and Mir/Nog fight there should be a more clear view on who's on top, and the division would have more contenders. Instead of Throwing guys in there that shouldnt be there, by doing that the guys that are building up get shot down to the bottom of the ladder and having to re-work their way up, and that would just widden the gap between the champ and the contenders.
Twenty20Dollars
5/12/08 7:51:16PM
i am not happy with this because this means that mir and big nog will not fight untill december or some crap like that.

when big nog should have to fight sooner. because werdum is going to beat vera and then they should fight but no.
GrandMaster313
5/12/08 8:10:16PM
If this is true I hope to see some sweet submissions
wrona666
5/12/08 8:18:35PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wrona666

Posted by juanez13

Posted by wrona666

The HW division right now is foggy, there is no real clear cut contenders, if Nog was to fight 2-3 times a year he would be fighting guys who would A-not deserve it and B-guys who arent ready, The top guys in the HW division right now are Vera- coming off a loss sylvia, Werdum-lost to arlvoski, Herring- beat Kongo, but lost to Nog, Kongo-coming off a loss to herring. the division is full of new talent (lesnar,velasquez, carwin, etc...) and they need some time to get some quality wins before stepping up. By having TUF it gives the division a chance to regroup and see who's at the top or not, by the time TUF ends and Mir/Nog fight there should be a more clear view on who's on top, and the division would have more contenders. Instead of Throwing guys in there that shouldnt be there, by doing that the guys that are building up get shot down to the bottom of the ladder and having to re-work their way up, and that would just widden the gap between the champ and the contenders.

Now that is a more logical response although i still dont 100% agree i still appriciate a good explenation of your opinion....
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/12/08 8:24:15PM
im not too happy about this, but whatever.
mrsmiley
5/12/08 8:27:50PM
I think Mir and Nog as the coaches is great.I just hope Nog has a good translator in handy,because I don't think his English is 100 % on the spot.

( The "handy" reference wasn't a joke,but when I went back and read this it seemed like one to me)
juanez13
5/12/08 8:31:13PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I think Mir and Nog as the coaches is great.I just hope Nog has a good translator in handy,because I don't think his English is 100 % on the spot.

( The "handy" reference wasn't a joke,but when I went back and read this it seemed like one to me)

besides Wandy saying "i want to **** chuck", Nogs comments were the funniest i've heard
ChokeUout
5/12/08 8:32:37PM
While i DO agree that it's not a good idea to tie up title holders for that long, in this case, i'm ok with it. First off, By the time this fight happens (nov or dec), the whole Randy mess should be cleared up, and Nog might be the undisputed Champ if Randy is gone. Maybe that's what the UFC is thinking, a way to buy time to see what happens without having to sort that mess out in the octagon. Also, the extremely thin depth in the HW division doesn't make the long lay off extremly difficult.

Finally, lemme ask a question:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO'S PUMPED TO SEE THIS???

This fight has the potential to be a jiu jitsu fan's wet dream. Probably the best two BJJ HW's in MMA going at each other doesn't get you excited? I can't wait, to be honest. Secondly, people say frank doesn't deserve it: If the UFC still had Cro Cop, Randy, Arlovski and Big Tim, or if Kongo, Lesnar, or Vera hadn't lost their last fights, I might agree. But seeing how the only legitimate alternative is Fabricio Werdum, who has one win in the UFC along with a loss in one of the most boring fights in UFC history, I don't see how anyone can argue with choosing Mir at this point.

BTW...Nog and Mir will make excellent coaches in my opinion. These TUF kids should be well trained on the ground
AllKnowin1
5/12/08 8:40:32PM
Heys guys....Check out WWW.MMATurf.COM

It has the whole Dream card and every other fight video...even the Tuf series...

WWW.MMATurf.COM
ChokeUout
5/12/08 8:48:58PM

Posted by AllKnowin1

Heys guys....Check out WWW.MMATurf.COM

It has the whole Dream card and every other fight video...even the Tuf series...

WWW.MMATurf.COM

Wrong topic, Einstein
gartface
5/12/08 9:44:24PM
Mir going to teach them how to not train full time?
Pages: [1] 2