Minotauro's next matchup...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Minotauro's next matchup...
LR
8/17/07 12:01:22PM
I was listening to Stephen Quadros's show from about two weeks ago, and they talked to a couple of the Black House fighter reps, and they were saying at the press conference that they were told Minotauro would fight the winner of Cheick Kongo vs. Mirko CroCop, so we could potentially see a Big Nog vs. CroCop rematch.

Also, they discussed that Filho was possibly looking to fight at 205 in WEC as well, and hold both the LHW and MW belts at the same time in WEC. Apparently, he walks around at 215.
gspgnp
8/17/07 12:21:42PM
I think that Nog should fight Arlovski next. Now that would be a fight I would look forward to!
xchickox
8/17/07 12:26:24PM
i think either of these fights would be a good fight
DCRage
8/17/07 12:35:36PM
I remember listening to that show, regardless of the outcome I think Cro Cop is the best and most likely matchup. The media and diehard fans (especially the international and PRIDE fans) would just eat it up, as here you've got 2 Heavyweights that, if you exclude Fedor, are considered perhaps the top 2 in the world. That alone is enough to call it a dream match.
Violence108
8/17/07 12:38:10PM
i would love to see a Minotauro, cro cop rematch, cro cop have improved is ground game a little and Minotauro have improved his stand up , it would be a great fight
kevietre
8/17/07 12:55:29PM

Posted by gspgnp

I think that Nog should fight Arlovski next. Now that would be a fight I would look forward to!

peachfuzzz1305
8/17/07 2:05:36PM
Yeah but if Nog faught Andrei then Andrei would just get boxed up and then submitted
Jackelope
8/17/07 3:13:25PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Cro Cop test that chin on Big Nog, but no matter how much he works his ground game, even if he only did ground shit from this day forward until the match Big Nog would eat him alive.
LR
8/17/07 3:28:43PM
Big Nog ate a slow kick from Herring. I can only imagine what might happen if CroCop gets his striking back to 100%.
Jackelope
8/17/07 3:52:58PM

Posted by LR

Big Nog ate a slow kick from Herring. I can only imagine what might happen if CroCop gets his striking back to 100%.

\

I should have finished off that sentence above with-

"Big Nog would eat him alive on the ground"

Standing, well... as we all know and have learned if you get caught with a good Cro Cop LHK you're pretty much lights out
cmill21
8/17/07 4:11:42PM
Hunt ate a Mirko LHK 2 or 3 times, wen't down once but was never out lol.
Jackelope
8/17/07 4:17:15PM

Posted by cmill21

Hunt ate a Mirko LHK 2 or 3 times, wen't down once but was never out lol.

I should stop speaking so matter-of-factly. It leads to trouble

Mark Hunt's a freak of nature kick boxer, anyway ;) I'll edit my post to say pretty much
johny_rotten
8/17/07 4:37:54PM

Posted by LR

I was listening to Stephen Quadros's show from about two weeks ago, and they talked to a couple of the Black House fighter reps, and they were saying at the press conference that they were told Minotauro would fight the winner of Cheick Kongo vs. Mirko CroCop, so we could potentially see a Big Nog vs. CroCop rematch.

Also, they discussed that Filho was possibly looking to fight at 205 in WEC as well, and hold both the LHW and MW belts at the same time in WEC. Apparently, he walks around at 215.

Pride in my eyes dropped the ball by never making these two fight again. That fight in 2003 was one of the best fights in MMA history. Cro hit Nog with every thing he had, but couldn't finish him. Then somehow nog comes back in the 2nd after looking dazed and cunfused between rounds and easily arm bars Mirko. Kudos to the UFC delivering my most anticpated rematch.

Paulo did fight at 205 before Pride made the 183lb class. At Bushido 6 he one his first fight of a 4 man tournament for the final spot in the 2005 MW GP. He was supposed to fight Dean Lister in the final, but couldn't due to injury. In the WEC he probably could fight for the belt at 205, but he couldn't compete at 205 against the elite of the class.
SpiderSilva
8/17/07 7:35:18PM
If CC loses again (remember if) he souldnt be consiterd a top 5 HW
three_days_of_grey
8/17/07 8:35:26PM
Why wait for the winner of Cro-Cop/Kongo for Big Nog when Arlovski is just waiting for a phone call? There is only one HW fight listed for both UFC 76 and 77, so why not?

I don't think it would be a good for the WEC if Filho held two titles concurrently at this point in time as it could threaten the legitimacy of its contenders and would slow title fights in those divisions to a crawl. A dual-title holder in WEC would hinder its growth.
I know Zuffa doesnt want WEC to be a feeder league, but I really dont see how there is any way around it and it indeed could work both ways ala Pulver. As Ive stated before, should Ortiz lose to Evans, he should make that jump. Year end 2008 I would like to see a non-title cross-promotional event.

-OUT-
cmill21
8/17/07 11:13:18PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

If CC loses again (remember if) he souldnt be consiterd a top 5 HW

IF!!! Mirko loses he will retire. He won't though
Shogunator800
8/18/07 2:45:03AM
I like the idea of a Cro Cop Vs. Minotauro II mainly because both are awesome fighters and I really won't be disappointed if either win/lose.
Mastodon2
8/18/07 12:34:11PM
I'm sure that the loser of Cro Cop / Nogueira II wouldn't be disheartened, after all, they have an enormous amount of respect for each other, Cro cop and Nogueira are imo the #2 and #3 HWs, and there is no shame in losing that fight, since they both have a great chance of taking it, if they can get the fight into their respective zones.

And given Andrei's recent performances, I'm not sure that Nogueira / Arlovski is something we need to see just yet. Maybe a year ago, when Arlovski still looked good, but even then I think Nogueira would have just gotten the takedown and then subbed him. I imagine he'd find it even easier now, given Arlovski's lack of agressiveness and generally lacklustre performances of late.
kimoron
8/18/07 4:30:16PM
personally i would love to see a rematch of nog and crocop and its bound to happen again but right now i would rather see nog and arlovski. both men have not had many fights in the ufc. cc has two under his belt and nogs got one. i think they should mix it up with some of the more seasoned ufc hw, like vera, arlovski, sylvia, gonzaga and monson to name a few.
Violence108
8/18/07 7:42:59PM
big nog vs the winner of randy/gonzga for the belt and it ends up like this
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
griffinisback
8/19/07 6:54:55PM
That sucks. I know Kongo will beat Mirko and than Nog with break Kongo's arm. Tears...