My mini-fishing-vacation

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » My mini-fishing-vacation
Pskinner_mma314
8/15/12 10:22:07PM
So proof that not all ideas you have when your drunk happened on Monday. So Sunday night I'm working at the bar, and a co-worker of mine (who is as drunk, if not drinker than I) says..."let's go to the coast tomorrow." and I was like "YEAH!!"

So Monday morning rolls around and sure enough, she remembers and we head to the coast. So at about midnight in Corpus Christi, we get to Bob Hall pier to go fishing, right as we cast out, the guys at the end of the pier started pulling in what was quite obviously something fuckin huge....it turned out to be an 8-foot hammerhead shark, which all of us assisted in pulling up onto the pier. Everyone is talkin about shark week and we lived it, it was fuckin exhilirating.

Which brings my question? Do any PG'ers fish? If so, freshwater? Saltwater? What is your fish of choice?
george112
8/15/12 10:28:34PM

I personally enjoy bass fishing out on a few ponds close by. San Luis pass is where I go to fish reds
kopower
8/15/12 10:31:49PM
That must have been frickin sweet to see that.

I do some freshwater fishing here in MN. Mainly fish for walleye's and crappie's. In fact, I'm going out of town in a few weeks, for 4 days of fishing in northern MN. I like ice fishing as well. Never been fishing in the ocean. Definitely want to do that some day.
KungFuMaster
8/15/12 11:45:25PM
That is awesome you had the opportunity to see someone pulled out a hammer shark. I am strictly a Jeremy Wade kind of guy. I stick to the lakes and rivers. I live about 3 hours from the coast and it costs an arm and a leg to charter a guide. If I can gather up more buddies to take part in the chartering, I would do it and it would cost less. But anyway, glad you had fun. Now did you catch anything?
tcunningham
8/16/12 12:13:46AM
i live on a lake and close to a lot of rivers. i havent fished in a few years but i do think it is relaxing.
Pskinner_mma314
8/16/12 1:17:39AM
I just thought it was crazy that they caught a shark that goddamn big less than a mile off shore off of a pier.....all we caught were a few little gaftops/hardheads (they're basically catfish) and one perch.

The process they used to actually land the shark on the pier musta been grueling, all I did (as well as 3 other big ass dudes) was help pull the rope it was hooked too, and I was using all the strength I had to pull, mind you, while it was in the water, they strategically placed a net underneath it to make it easier to pull up and it was still a bitch.
infestructure
8/16/12 4:25:37AM
I fish in New Zealand all the time. Fishing off a boat in salt water, we catch mainly Snapper, but Kingfish, Trevally and Maomao too.
John Dory are a great eating fish that isn't too common
Heres a few of my fish stories

---I was surfcasting from a beach once, and a kid I was with caught an octopus. It was the coolest thing ever, but he wanted me to kill it. I sent him packing and me and the octopus hung out.

----I set out a small long line of 25 hooks, but the weather turned stormy as I went to collect it, so I had to turn back, and collect it the next day. When I returned, there was a huge Moray eel (alive) on almost every single hook (the others had half eaten fish) I cut a few of the Morays off, but they leave a slime on the line that fish will avoid, and its impossible to remove. So I just cut the lines off.

---I also caught a baby Hammerhead shark (bout 1.5ft) it was very cute, I let it go.

When I was in the States last fishing in Florida rivers I caught a Snakehead - those are nasty.
kopower
8/16/12 7:55:43AM

Posted by infestructure

I fish in New Zealand all the time. Fishing off a boat in salt water, we catch mainly Snapper, but Kingfish, Trevally and Maomao too.
John Dory are a great eating fish that isn't too common
Heres a few of my fish stories

---I was surfcasting from a beach once, and a kid I was with caught an octopus. It was the coolest thing ever, but he wanted me to kill it. I sent him packing and me and the octopus hung out.

----I set out a small long line of 25 hooks, but the weather turned stormy as I went to collect it, so I had to turn back, and collect it the next day. When I returned, there was a huge Moray eel (alive) on almost every single hook (the others had half eaten fish) I cut a few of the Morays off, but they leave a slime on the line that fish will avoid, and its impossible to remove. So I just cut the lines off.

---I also caught a baby Hammerhead shark (bout 1.5ft) it was very cute, I let it go.

When I was in the States last fishing in Florida rivers I caught a Snakehead - those are nasty.

That's why I think it'd be so cool to fish in the ocean. You never know what you're gonna pull up. Would have been pretty damn cool to pull up the baby hammerhead.
Shawn91111
8/16/12 8:48:01AM
Went fishing one time in my life when I lived in Florida. Went fishing in the Atlantic with a charter boat. Caught a yellow tail snapper, someone in the front of the boat caught a barracuda. The charter for some reason put the barracuda with the other fish in these kiddie pools in the front of the boat and the barracuda started eating some of the other fish including mine. So I walked away with nothing.
airkerma
8/16/12 9:45:06AM
I loathe fishing, I never catch a damn thing. The last time I made a catch it was about 16 years ago, coincidentally I caught a Fluke. I'll stick to eating sushi and benefiting from everyone else's hard work.
hymiekooken
8/16/12 2:30:47PM
I live about 75 miles from the coast, but my fishing of choice is definitely catfishing, and we have some monster blues and flatheads here in SC. Either on the pee dee river, or for the real giants, we go to Santee, preferably close to the dam, the water there is very deep, the record pulled out of there is in excess of 120 lbs. The largest I have ever landed is 73 pounds, caught him on 60 lb test using chicken livers tied up in pantyhose for bait. That was one hell of a fight, took me about 35 minutes. We go there several times a year, regularly catch blues and flatheads in the 20 to 40 pound range, occasionally a larger one.
ChrisSabal
8/17/12 6:43:19PM
I have fished in salt water once I enjoyed it but it wasn't too exciting. I didn't like that it didn't take much skill to catch. I kept bringing in fish after fish.

I have been fresh water fishing my whole 19 years of my life. I go up to Wisconsin and the U.P of Michigan. I refuse to fish in Illinois waters as they are disgusting. Haven't had any luck fishing this year though. My week a vacation up in the U.P was a waste as I didn't catch a single fish and my group of about 30 only caught about 5 fish all together.