Mike Winkeljohn: Jon Jones isn't far from 'that Anderson Silva place' with his striking

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mike Winkeljohn: Jon Jones isn't far from 'that Anderson Silva place' with his striking
FastKnockout
10/24/12 8:45:32PM
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been undeniably dominant in his UFC run thus far, but one thing he hasn't shown is thunderous power with his striking. Trainer Mike Winkeljohn thinks it's only a matter of time before he's able to develop that though. In an interview on Sherdog Radio, he said that JBJ is close to being like, of all people, Anderson Silva in terms of one-hitter quitters:

"Since he's come to camp, I'm real blessed that this young man listens and he went from being mostly a wrestler to now he's turning over to becoming a great striker in the division. He's almost there, he's almost to that Anderson Silva place where he is going to start getting those one punch and one kick knockouts. Just wait, you haven't seen anything yet."

LINK
Lungsofsteel
10/24/12 9:28:17PM
those side kicks jones does to fighters knees is a dirty imo
NaturalBornKiller92
10/24/12 9:52:29PM
One of the only knocks on Jon Jones, imo, has been that he couldn't finish people early. This allows his opponents to have more chances at one punch knockouts as they have more time with him in the octagon without being finished...just splitting hairs on a great fighter. If he starts getting one punch knockouts down, he will become even harder to handle.
SmileR
10/24/12 10:09:03PM
Yes he is. . . Jones will never be anywhere near Anderson when it comes to striking. Never.
Anderson is lethal, accurate, powerful, poised and quick. Jones is rangey and flamboyant but his striking is simple and his footwork sucks. He's a wrestler and he's got too many bad habits to ever be as good as Anderson.

Jones may end up being the better mma fighter** over time but he'll never be as good as Anderson when it comes to striking.

** He won't be.
infestructure
10/24/12 10:17:44PM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

+1 I agree, he pretends he's an honorable fighter and then threatens his opponents careers by kicking them in the knees so their legs go the wrong way. Don't tell me it's a fight, anything goes - its a sport. There are no rabbit punching rules for the same reason.

TeamDEY
10/24/12 10:40:16PM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Rampage said it best... he has no honor
DailyGrindMMA
10/24/12 11:13:08PM
Skill wise, Jones is very far from Anderson with his striking. However, as far as being effective in his division, Wink is right, he's not that far behind him.

He out struck Shogun, Rampage, Machida, and Rashad.... in a row.

Until proven otherwise, he is the best striker in the division right now.

And the best wrestler...

Scary.
Bubbles
10/25/12 1:08:02AM

Posted by DailyGrindMMA

Skill wise, Jones is very far from Anderson with his striking. However, as far as being effective in his division, Wink is right, he's not that far behind him.

take away the massive reach advantage and he would get exposed
ghandikush
10/25/12 1:32:57AM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

anderson does them too, be fair. I wish they werent legal but i cant call them dirty. also remember back when fighters used to cover eachothers mouths to disrupt breathing? legal.
Poor_Franklin
10/25/12 4:25:34AM
those knee kicks (not just JJs) bother me too. makes me sick to my stomach seeing folks' knees get kicked like that, but that might be bc mine are bad.
DailyGrindMMA
10/25/12 5:30:13AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by DailyGrindMMA

take away the massive reach advantage and he would get exposed

DUH.

but unless he loses an arm in another drunk driving accident, he has the 85" reach.

and this is why he can hold his hands out and make shogun look silly from a mile away
aussiemma
10/25/12 7:16:28AM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Lungsofsteel

+1 I agree, he pretends he's an honorable fighter and then threatens his opponents careers by kicking them in the knees so their legs go the wrong way. Don't tell me it's a fight, anything goes - its a sport. There are no rabbit punching rules for the same reason.

come on seriously ! that is a muay thai technique...if its legal then how is it dirty ?? what is the difference with elbowing someone in the face or frank mir breaking minotauro's arm ?

by jones doing that move he is always keeping his opponent guessing and that is the trick when striking. Don't you think if that move was so bad and if it had done so much damage in the past that they would have it banned ? it's completely legit and a very smart move.

about winkeljohn's comment...i think jones has phenomenal kicks and he uses his range very good...but his boxing cannot even be mentioned in the same sentence as andersons' at this point. Anderson is still on a completely other level imo....striking wise that is.
SpiderSilva
10/25/12 9:58:22AM
When he starts beating people the way Silva wrecks them with his KO power in his hands, feet, and knees.
postman
10/25/12 10:00:06AM
I have seen Jon Jones get touched far more then I have ever seen Anderson get hit.
fullerene
10/25/12 11:13:24AM
My first response was to point out how Machida got the better of him striking....but rumour has it that that is the case with Silva as well.
kingsmasher
10/25/12 11:31:42AM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

I Think they are brilliant and gets in opponents mind and off their game...
kingsmasher
10/25/12 11:35:52AM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

also this is ridiculous.....

How bout when fighters go in for extra shots when they know the opponent is clearly out....lemme guess you have no problem with that...

Nothing worse than that and that can really injure someone way worse than these kicks you are talking about....

Please dont bring up the fact the ref has not stepped in yet and such.....Its just about being a jerk....

This list is long for that too
BillsNewAccount
10/25/12 12:24:00PM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Don't forget his eye pokes. He never closes his fist and is always keeping his fingers near the eyeballs of his opponent. He got warned in the Vitor fight and his corner told him to keep doin it.

No honor indeed.
airkerma
10/25/12 3:33:38PM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Lungsofsteel

come on seriously ! that is a muay thai technique...if its legal then how is it dirty ?? what is the difference with elbowing someone in the face or frank mir breaking minotauro's arm ?

by jones doing that move he is always keeping his opponent guessing and that is the trick when striking. Don't you think if that move was so bad and if it had done so much damage in the past that they would have it banned ? it's completely legit and a very smart move.

I actually wondered why more fighters don't utilize them. They can be very effective at keeping range, and also closing range, as you step to throw it, you can fake the kick and close the distance for a clinch or a double leg.
infestructure
10/25/12 6:20:25PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Lungsofsteel

I actually wondered why more fighters don't utilize them. They can be very effective at keeping range, and also closing range, as you step to throw it, you can fake the kick and close the distance for a clinch or a double leg.

They are underused but if that changed I think we would see a lot more career ending knee injuries. I don't agree with hitting people after they are out either kingsmasher.
Everyone I know who trains any mixed martial art objects to those knee kicks, for good reason. Don't get me wrong, I like them, just think they are too dangerous to fighter health. Yes you can elbow people in the face, but not 12 to 6 style, because they can cause too much permanent damage.