Mike Tyson

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Mike Tyson
slamdunk
1/8/08 8:39:33PM
i dnt kno much about the guy but in the short vids ive seen of him he was a preety gd boxer but does any1 kno y hes crazy?
for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFW834Mrcc
iwannabesedated
1/8/08 8:40:51PM

Posted by slamdunk

i dnt kno much about the guy but in the short vids ive seen of him he was a preety gd boxer but does any1 kno y hes crazy?
for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFW834Mrcc

Cocaine,Hookers, Wanting to eat peoples' children and hearts.

Maybe too many shots to the dome...i dunno
slamdunk
1/8/08 8:45:27PM
yer ur probly right
ufcboss
1/9/08 12:45:54AM
Mike Tyson is a Legend, Yeah he is a bad man, But what a fighter.
He is (To me) the most entertaining fighter that walked the earth, His style was like nothing else. After all them huge KO's he gave us, Everyone should like him.

I remember when I was a kid, Going to the local pub to watch him fight, Awsome.

There will never be another so if you dont know much about him, Get some HL DVD's and enjoy the brutality.

If only cocaine was never invented.........
jomatty
1/9/08 4:21:01AM
people who are in high school or too young to have watched mike tyson in his prime should definitely check him out. its a beautiful thing to watch floyd mayweather work but it is not as exciting as watching tyson destroy people. splitting from his first trainer and mental instability destroyed him. how crazy he is makes people forget just how dominating he was and really affects his place when people talk about the great hw of all time.
mrsmiley
1/9/08 6:50:17AM
I doubt their will ever be another boxer who displayed the power,and the pure destructive force that Mike Tyson did.I am always hoping we will see an incarnation of Tyson appear in MMA at some point.I thought momemtairly that Sokoudjou might have been that,but I was wrong.Regardless,Tyson was a monster,and is without a doubt,one of the greatest boxers I have ever seen in the ring.

Boo_Radley21
1/9/08 9:12:08AM
Like Rick James said "Cocaine's a hell of a drug"

Seriously though Tyson was a beast and had some of the funniest interviews in boxing. I found Ali funnier though.

I was watching a Mike Tyson interview on youtube and he told of the interviewer and as the guy was ending the connection (it was on satelite) Tyson said **** you to him. It was hilarious.

And I don't remember who posted it earlier, but I saw that interview about eating people's children and hearts too.
fullerene
1/9/08 9:44:32AM
As a popular icon Tyson is one of the 4-5 greatest fighters of all time--up there with John L Sullivan, Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis and Mohammed Ali. He had the moniker of "The Baddest Man on the Planet" and most people thought of him that way. He was a street-kid who always seemed to be a bit off mentally/emotionally which was part of the appeal of him as he was seen as taking his aggressions out on other fighters.

As a boxing fan, a more realistic appraisal was that he was the best fighter in a very weak period in the HW division (the late 80s) who failed to win against better competition when he faced it. He lost to his two best contemporaries (Holyfield and Lennox Lewis) and failed to fight at least a half dozen other fighters (Foreman, Moorer, Mercer, Tua, Bowe, Morrison) who were better than any fighter who he actually beat (Spinks or Ruddock were probably his best wins). People will say that he was out of his "prime", but his prime seemed to end the minute he faced a fighter who fought back. Tyson was not old and he had not taken much damage at the time he was finally beaten.

He's a certain hall of famer, but not a top 10 all-timer. He did have one of the best speed and power combinations in the history of the division and only Jack Dempsey can match his ability to wipe out lesser opponents in a couple of rounds.

If you want an MMA parallel to Tyson I think Mark Kerr's potential, reputation and career were very similar.
Boo_Radley21
1/9/08 9:48:33AM
But does Mark Kerr have a tattoo on his face? I think not.
emfleek
1/9/08 10:26:37AM

Posted by fullerene

As a popular icon Tyson is one of the 4-5 greatest fighters of all time--up there with John L Sullivan, Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis and Mohammed Ali. He had the moniker of "The Baddest Man on the Planet" and most people thought of him that way. He was a street-kid who always seemed to be a bit off mentally/emotionally which was part of the appeal of him as he was seen as taking his aggressions out on other fighters.

As a boxing fan, a more realistic appraisal was that he was the best fighter in a very weak period in the HW division (the late 80s) who failed to win against better competition when he faced it. He lost to his two best contemporaries (Holyfield and Lennox Lewis) and failed to fight at least a half dozen other fighters (Foreman, Moorer, Mercer, Tua, Bowe, Morrison) who were better than any fighter who he actually beat (Spinks or Ruddock were probably his best wins). People will say that he was out of his "prime", but his prime seemed to end the minute he faced a fighter who fought back. Tyson was not old and he had not taken much damage at the time he was finally beaten.

He's a certain hall of famer, but not a top 10 all-timer. He did have one of the best speed and power combinations in the history of the division and only Jack Dempsey can match his ability to wipe out lesser opponents in a couple of rounds.

If you want an MMA parallel to Tyson I think Mark Kerr's potential, reputation and career were very similar.

Perfect! Props to you.

Anyone who says Tyson was the greatest of all-time never watched boxing outside of Tyson matches.
cowcatcher
1/9/08 10:41:59AM
when d'amato died it was the beginning of his spiral into craziness where he surrounded himself with bad people. the guy is not too bright and seems easily influenced and so many bad seeds pulling him in different directions, giving bad advice, and stealing from him basically made the guy crack completely after d'amatos death. sad really, but as fullerene said, it was a VERY down time for HW boxers when iron mike was king so his reign will always be questioned by some.
EDIT: i wouldnt call him the greatest of all time by any means, but most feared in his prime is probably a fair title.
TNunley
1/9/08 12:23:16PM
It's absolutely silly to say that Mike Tyson shouldn't be considered as one of the greats. To question his competition is absolutely ridiculous as well.

He was a national golden gloves champion, and held the championship belt in IBF, WBC, & WBA all at the same time. Not to mention the guy retired with a 50-6 (w/ 2 No Contests) record... 44 of the wins were by KO. He was undefeated for his first 37 professional fights and in fact had never even been knocked down before his first loss... of which 10 of those undefeated fights were championship fights. Then he came back and won the WBA and the WBC titles before losing them to Holyfield. Yeah, Holyfield had his number everytime... you also have to remember that this was about his 45th professional fight. Not to mention, when he lost his first professional fight against Douglas, no one would have accused him of being mentally stable.

As for the Holyfield and Lewis fights... he got beat by better guys. Could they have done it long ago when his head was on right, and when he was still fighting the same style that made him so great, or with the manager/trainer that got him where he was?

I guess truly you could make an argument either way for Tyson, but one thing you can't say is that he wasn't great. People don't think Royce Gracie was some nobody, and no one accused him of taking on light competition... he was the best at what he did, at the time... Just like Matt Hughes... Matt Hughes destroyed everyone that came his way, and GSP has made him look like an amateur in his last two fights. You can't say Matt Hughes doesn't deserve to be called one of the greatest. Mike Tyson was no doubt the best of his time. Not everyone can be Randy Couture and stay in the fight game for many years and still win. Look at Ken Shamrock... he stayed in too long, and he started losing more fights than he won.

I don't think Tyson is a great role model, but the guy definitely commands respect. He did something I know I couldn't have done... he beat everyone that came his way... Everyone gets beat eventually... even Fedor, if he fights long enough, will get beat (yes I know he has a loss already). You can't stay on top of the world forever, and just because someone beat you doesn't mean you never were one of the greatest.