Mike Swick says he'll drop to welterweight!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mike Swick says he'll drop to welterweight!
randyleprechaun
4/9/07 5:11:55PM
Swick Interview

UFC middleweight contender Mike 'Quick' Swick says he'll drop to Welterweight as he feels he's to small for the middleweight division. Hes says he regularly fights at 180lbs. He also speculates its possible he may go to Pride!
xthe_scottx
4/9/07 5:42:48PM
I've always thought he looked a little small at MW but he weights 180? I'm surprised he hasn't already dropped to WW. Also, it makes sense that he may go to PRIDE since AKA has some top fighters already at 170. We will probably see quite a few guys change from UFC to PRIDE or vice versa since they train at the same camps.
randyleprechaun
4/9/07 5:59:52PM
Yeah i agree. I dont think Zuffa will want to lose any of their rich talent-pool to rival mma organisations. So to keep things fresh and also to keep fighters happy i believe we'll see alot of people switching shows.

Its also a great way to get UFC fans to watch Pride and Vice Versa. Personally i can see Tito Ortiz, Babalu, B.J. Penn and Tim Sylvia all switching shows in the near future!
Lay_N_Pray
4/9/07 6:05:24PM
I think everyone is just drooling about the fact that The Terra is champ and everyone wants their shot now because they feel this would be one of the easier title fight opportunities.

However, I do think Swick has validation for going to WW cause he is on the smaller side and he could better utilize his speed by dropping some weight. I think he would be real good at WW but I think he is real good and MW so he is just an awesome fighter really.

I would like to see him fight Leben before he drops down though, but like he said that wouldnt do anything for his career right now.
nubby
4/9/07 6:12:59PM
Dude has no chance in the WW division.
randyleprechaun
4/9/07 6:26:18PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I think everyone is just drooling about the fact that The Terra is champ and everyone wants their shot now because they feel this would be one of the easier title fight opportunities.

However, I do think Swick has validation for going to WW cause he is on the smaller side and he could better utilize his speed by dropping some weight. I think he would be real good at WW but I think he is real good and MW so he is just an awesome fighter really.

I would like to see him fight Leben before he drops down though, but like he said that wouldnt do anything for his career right now.

Hes right. Imagine he lost to leben (god forbid), all the hard work hes put in over this past 3 years would have been in vain.

Itll be strange to see him fight guys smaller than himself. Can you imagine him fighting Serra for the title. All 6'1" verus 5'6".

Only 3 years ago Swick was an unknown in the Ultimate Fighter Season 1 competing at light-heavyweight and Serra was an almost man and competing in the championless lightweight division. How times have changed for both those guys!
kerazzle
4/9/07 6:30:31PM
hmmm I dunno, I think Dana will have him fight Chris Leben before he lets him move to another weight class.
Ydoc
4/9/07 6:34:44PM
If you can pull it off awesome... 170 always could use more strikers.
bayonetxwork
4/9/07 6:44:28PM
...hows he supposed to go to a rival organization?

All the rival organizations of his caliber are already owned by Zuffa...
ezkl2517
4/9/07 6:44:55PM
If he goes to pride i think he's gonna get his feelings hurt. I dont think he's gonna cut it any better in WW either.
MMA
4/9/07 7:22:45PM
This is both a good and bad decision for Swick. It is a good career decision but a bad marketing decision. After he lost decisively to Okami, it will look as if he is running away from the challenge. He may get criticized by fans if he actually does drop to welterweight.
ncordless
4/9/07 8:14:07PM
Swick really disappointed me in 69. Okami is a tough opponent fer sure, but I think Swick was freaking after rnd 1 and never believed he had a chance after that. As far as dropping to 170, maybe he should just try to do a little muscle-building. Like maybe add some strength to his upper legs so he doesnt get whupped by every wrestler from here on out.
gcraig22
4/9/07 8:38:26PM
I like the fact that he is thinking of dropping to 170. He is not that much bigger than GSP. They could have some wars in the next couple of years.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/9/07 8:40:40PM

Posted by ncordless

Swick really disappointed me in 69. Okami is a tough opponent fer sure, but I think Swick was freaking after rnd 1 and never believed he had a chance after that. As far as dropping to 170, maybe he should just try to do a little muscle-building. Like maybe add some strength to his upper legs so he doesnt get whupped by every wrestler from here on out.

i agree...he should look for a good strength and conditioning coach like Kenny Florian did....Kenny looks much bigger than he did......Swick should add 10 lbs of muscle and then drop to 185.....

EDIT:...Just saw Swick/Okami again....and Okami is freakishly HUGE compared to Swick!!

Swick will never be champion regardless of the division...i think he will only be a the level he is right now and when competition is too high he will lose...just like Leben
BIGKAT
4/9/07 10:12:03PM
LOL you know you got your ass whupped when it makes you drop a weight class to fight smaller guys....LOL
Lay_N_Pray
4/10/07 12:16:22AM
not necessarily BIGKAT

Rich Franklin whooped ass at LHW then went and whooped ass in MW
hippysmacker
4/10/07 12:01:39PM
I think he should just buff up and stay at 185. 170 is deeper IMO and as he pointed out he has 2 teammates in the division.
BWWREPRESENT
4/10/07 12:13:42PM
I think he should after he lost to the future of the Middleweight divison i think he has no hope getting a title run and if he stays there he might downfall like Joe Riggs
Lets_Do_This
4/10/07 3:37:03PM

Posted by nubby

Dude has no chance in the WW division.

Exarcly.
hook_tothe_body
4/10/07 6:03:32PM
Yeah while WW is stacked with tons of good fighters and Swick has two team mates who he won't fight in WW, I think it's a good move by Swick. He is small for a 185 pounder.

If you're small for the division and don't have to cut weight, why are you going to fight bigger guys who starve themselves and cut a crap load of weight to weigh in at your weight but be way bigger than you?
Rush
4/10/07 6:31:58PM
Considering that I think MW and LHW are the weakest divisions (in the UFC) right now, it doesn't make sense to me why Swick would want to do down.
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/10/07 8:32:16PM
I think he is just bummed about his loss. IMO he just needs to work his ground game a little more. He was taking it to Okami at one point IMO even though he lost hes still a very exciting fighter to watch and I hope he stays in the UFC.
JBatch
4/10/07 8:39:46PM
I don't know if it is a great idea or not. He could do some serious damage at 170 but why give up after 1 loss. Just suck it up realize you need to make a comeback up the MW rankings and do it.

For all those saying he is small remember he fought on TUF at 205, he is not a huge 185er but I don't think it is time to give up. He did beat the Crow handily, although the Crow was a shell of what he used to be it was still a win.

hippysmacker
4/12/07 9:59:40AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I think he is just bummed about his loss. IMO he just needs to work his ground game a little more. He was taking it to Okami at one point IMO even though he lost hes still a very exciting fighter to watch and I hope he stays in the UFC.

I think the point you make about it being an emotional reaction after the loss is a valid one. If he just put on 10 lbs. of muscle he would be a decent size for the division. I doubt he'll ever be huge like Ace/Prangley/Okami/Mcdonald. Still 10 lbs. of muscle is a significant amount and he could do it in 3 months if he dedicated himself to it.
methodman_90
4/12/07 12:07:38PM
It's not the end of the world for him at MW, he just needs to gain the pounds like Bisping is doing now at LHW and work on his takedown defense. Swick vs. Lister would be a good fight for them both after suffering a loss.
nubby
4/12/07 12:11:09PM

Posted by methodman_90

It's not the end of the world for him at MW, he just needs to gain the pounds like Bisping is doing now at LHW and work on his takedown defense. Swick vs. Lister would be a good fight for them both after suffering a loss.

This might be dangerous considering Lister is a monster on the ground.
Ultimate_fighter
4/12/07 6:46:54PM
I hope so,,, swick, hughes, serra, gsp... couldn't be better...