UFC 85: Mike Swick vs. Marcus Davis (Exclusive

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 85: Mike Swick vs. Marcus Davis (Exclusive
Next Page »
juanez13
2/25/08 7:23:43PM
Exciting welterweights Mike Swick and Marcus Davis will likely throw leather at UFC 85 in London, England, at the O2 Arena on Saturday, June 7, MMAmania.com learned earlier this afternoon.

Swick and Davis have competed on different seasons of the mixed martial arts reality series, The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which airs on the SpikeTV network. And both fighters have achieved impressive results inside the Octagon since their respective seasons have wrapped.

In fact, Davis has reeled off 11 straight wins since his loss to Melvin Guillard via technical knockout (cut) back in 2005. He has won his last four contests, stopping each of those opponents with a mix of submissions and knockouts.

This will mark the third straight fight for the “Irish Hand Grenade” overseas — he most recently knocked out Jess Liaudin in the first round at UFC 80: “Rapid Fire” on January 19.

LINK
TimW001
2/25/08 7:28:29PM
War Davis
hotrodttt
2/25/08 7:33:48PM
Wow ! This is a Great Fight, I see Marcus Davis beating Mike. I din't see a way how Mike can win, Marcus has supieor Stand Up and I don't see thia fight going to the ground because Mike is primarily a Striker and if it does I think that Marcus's Jui Jitsu will nullify Mike's. So this is a pretty simple fight for me to call. Marcus via Unanimous Decision.
jrmmaclassics
2/25/08 7:34:53PM
too bad this is so far away looking to become another great card for UFC.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
kasual
2/25/08 7:35:23PM
If Swick brings the same gun shy game he had against Burkman he's going to be in for a rude, painful lesson from Marcus Davis.
Kpro
2/25/08 7:42:29PM
Just to play a little devil's advocate; though dominant, Marcus Davis hasn't faced anyone close to Swick's level yet in his career.

This will be a great fight.
telnights
2/25/08 7:50:08PM
Standing Marcus Davis has the edge hands down. On the ground I would say Swick is the better of the 2. But I think Swick will try to keep it standing and will end up taking a nap. I also think the weight cut is just to much for him.
hotrodttt
2/25/08 7:55:12PM

Posted by Kpro

Just to play a little devil's advocate; though dominant, Marcus Davis hasn't faced anyone close to Swick's level yet in his career.

I think Alves is in the upper echelon in the Welterweight Division and Marcus fought him to a very, very thin decision. And I think that Thiago's skills are superior to Mike's.
Kpro
2/25/08 7:56:43PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Kpro

I think Alves is in the upper echelon in the Welterweight Division and Marcus fought him to a very, very thin decision. And I think that Thiago's skills are superior to Mike's.

I saw that but left him off intentionally because it was 4 1/2 years ago when they were 1-0 and 3-0. Hardly an accurate comparison to Davis/Swicks skills now.
hotrodttt
2/25/08 8:04:35PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Kpro

I saw that but left him off intentionally because it was 4 1/2 years ago when they were 1-0 and 3-0. Hardly an accurate comparison to Davis/Swicks skills now.

Well, Yes time could have been a factor in their fight but Marcus and Thiago's Skills has only gotten better, and I think that styalistically it is a bad match up for Mike due to the fact that he likes to stand and trade and so does Marcus but he was an undefeated boxer. And now that he has had some Muay Thai training I think that he has a better well rounded stanup skills.
gsquat
2/25/08 8:06:53PM
It'll be closer than one might think, but Davis will win via KO/TKO. Swick likes to swing too much, and thats a fight he'll lose against Davis. Even on the ground Davis's wrestling skills and jujitsu skills are on par with Swick's. Swick isn't as compact and strong either, so it'll be harder for him to pull off a submission.
Chieftan1997
2/25/08 8:07:32PM
My instructor Marcus will continue to rise up the welterweight ladder. Davis by KO in the 2nd, unless Swick runs the whole time!!
tberg420
2/25/08 8:08:48PM
Swick by KO/TKO. Davis has been beating nobodys recently. Swick will come in and take it to Davis.
RampageOwnedYou
2/25/08 8:39:11PM
WOW WOW WOW

If Swick actually gets his crap together, and looks like his oldself, this fight will be OFF THE HOOK!!!!!

But if Swick looks boring like he did last fight, then Davis will make quick work of him.

The funny thing about this fight is, Davis looks like a younger Mike Swick.....So what a fight this could be.

Can't wait!
kevietre
2/25/08 9:21:38PM
I was never impressed with Marcus Davis until he started to get submission victories. I used to think he was just a boxer turned martial artist but he has come a long way and I think if Davis is getting the bad end of the standup he can take the fight to the ground and submitt Swick. I had the wrong idea about Davis who gets better with age. I think he can beat Swick who better let his hands go.
Kpro
2/25/08 9:25:28PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Well, Yes time could have been a factor in their fight but Marcus and Thiago's Skills has only gotten better, and I think that styalistically it is a bad match up for Mike due to the fact that he likes to stand and trade and so does Marcus but he was an undefeated boxer. And now that he has had some Muay Thai training I think that he has a better well rounded stanup skills.

Not to nitpick, but I hear this all the time and it is not true.

Marcus Davis was 17-1 as a professional boxer having been TKO'd in the 4th round by a 10-6 journeyman boxer in Davis' last professional fight. Somehow the "undefeated as a boxer" thing became internet fact, when in fact it is internet myth.

Marcus Davis boxing record
quezocrema0032
2/25/08 9:51:02PM
Wow i think way 2 many people are getting cought up in the fact that swicks last fight wasnt great i am a marcus davis fan ... but him beating swick isnt really likely =/ hes a big 170 but swicks a HUGE 170 hes the better wrestler which means the fights gona take place where he wants and hes better on the ground and davis might have more power but i think swicks reach is gona be really hard 2 deal wit
prozacnation1978
2/25/08 10:03:18PM
nice brawl, i like both these guys but i see marcus winning by what ever he wants. good to see 4 main card fights already

lesnar vs mccauley??
shogun vs lidell
this fight
vera vs werdum

good fight card
TuFanboi
2/25/08 10:20:31PM
Swick-o-tine...heh I actually have no idea this looks like a great fight(I'd rather swick won though)
BlazinSaddle
2/25/08 10:38:25PM
the reach and quickness of mike might win him this, im not sold on marcus's ground game so we'll see if mike uses the reach or goes for the ground, not exactly sold on marcus's chin yet either, we'll see, im about 50/50 on this fight
MikeBillotto
2/25/08 10:58:33PM
DAVIS FTW
jiujitsufreak74
2/25/08 11:02:31PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Wow ! This is a Great Fight, I see Marcus Davis beating Mike. I din't see a way how Mike can win, Marcus has supieor Stand Up and I don't see thia fight going to the ground because Mike is primarily a Striker and if it does I think that Marcus's Jui Jitsu will nullify Mike's. So this is a pretty simple fight for me to call. Marcus via Unanimous Decision.

this is exactly how i see the fight as well. we all know that i am biased, but even still it does not distort the logical thinking i take to picking each fight. i see swick looking to trade with Davis. maybe for the first half of the first round, you will see the reach of Swick frustrating Marcus just a little. then, when he feels comfortable i see him getting past the reach and unloading some serious flurries. i can't see swick KOing Davis. i don't know why some people question his chin, he was a pro boxer for many years and his only MMA loss to TKO was from a cut. granted he was dropped by Paul Taylor, but Taylor is an excellent kickboxer and he hit him with a well placed head kick that Marcus recovered from very quickly. he was able to pull off the armbar in that situation anyway. also, i can't see Swick submitting Marcus. Marcus' JJ is very underrated and a lot of people don't realize that he has been working grappling intensely since a year before TUF because he realized that submission were his weakness. i feel that is not the case anymore and i believe that Marcus' JJ is good enough not to get subbed, and maybe even good enough to get a submission if it hits the ground. i can't see Swcik winning this fight, he just isn't powerful or quick enough in this division. i also see Marcus winning a UD similar to his fight with Forrest Petz, and if not then a 3rd round KO for Marcus. Swick is going to try and come out fast and exciting to make up for his last fight, and with that mentality he will walk into a flurry world class punches that will hurt him badly if he is not careful.

Posted by Kpro

Not to nitpick, but I hear this all the time and it is not true.

Marcus Davis was 17-1 as a professional boxer having been TKO'd in the 4th round by a 10-6 journeyman boxer in Davis' last professional fight. Somehow the "undefeated as a boxer" thing became internet fact, when in fact it is internet myth.

Marcus Davis boxing record

yes Kpro you are right, he is not undefeated. He was however considered the #1 SMW in New England and his last fight was the KO loss against Ed Bryant. he had 12 KOs throughout his pro career and was highly regarded. i have actually never heard that he was undefeated before, but most likely it was just the UFC trying to hype one of their fighters...just like Kos ins undefeated in collegiate wrestling.
Daddyprimetime
2/25/08 11:54:32PM
When I first saw this I thought it was a mis-print because of it's awesomeness.
This fight has the potential to be something amazing and lets hope that happens.
RMFG_187
2/26/08 12:53:53AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Marcus is better in every aspect of MMA. except maybe in the clinch, but first he will have to make it close enuff. but other than that, Wrestling, BJJ, Stand up, Davis 100%. In Swick's last fight, he didn't show that he is back too the Quick Swick of the old, KO'ing everyone left and right. Lets see if he can really bounce back this time, he hasn't been the same since Okami. but sure, he did beat Burkman in decision, but he won't get enough for a decision this time around if he keeps fighting like that.

Davis Rnd 1 Sub - Triangle Choke + Armbar (Double Sub) :P
MMAcca
2/26/08 1:26:14AM
Great fight definately. I see davis taking this via KO/TKO probably in the 2nd.

Anybody else think this has kind of an unfair reward for the fighters though?

I mean davis is on a hot streak and he has to fight a guy coming off a loss then a win and nowhere near title contention, so If he wins it's 'just another win' to his tally, but if he loses he will fall right back to the bottom of the ladder.

However, with this win Swick could be in title contention with maybe only one more victory, thus making only 3 fights in the division and looking at a title shot.

All in all, this should be a great fight, it just seems like Marcus has the most to lose and the least to gain form this whereas Swick has pretty much nothing to lose but everything to gain. Oh well, that's just the way it goes i suppose.
CornishMMA
2/26/08 7:00:25AM

Posted by telnights

I also think the weight cut is just to much for him.

Actually dude thats far from true, people think that Swick was a legit MW but he never was, he never cut weight and always weighed in around 185, after fights he weighed around 180, so actually he only needs to cut a max of 15lbs and guys like Chuck and Franklin cut more than that all the time

In the Burkman fight he actually overcut, by starting off too light

Sorry JJfreak but im with my man Swick in this one
Kpro
2/26/08 8:48:00AM

Posted by MMAcca

I mean davis is on a hot streak and he has to fight a guy coming off a loss then a win and nowhere near title contention, so If he wins it's 'just another win' to his tally, but if he loses he will fall right back to the bottom of the ladder.

Both guys are 6-1 in the UFC; I wouldn't say Swick is nowhere near title contention just because of his loss to Okami. Anyone going 5-1 and then dropping weight class should immediately be in the mix at the lower weight.

And for Marcus Davis; the opportunity to beat a popular former TUF 1 alumni who just headlined an UFN would catapult him up into the Fitch/Karo discussions more so than any other opponent I can think of.
Sir_Karl
2/26/08 12:01:57PM
Should be a great fight. I think Swick should take it but it won't be easy at all.
Swick is a pretty smart and conservative fighter...if Davis can get him away from that...you never know.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/26/08 12:05:07PM
I'm going for Davis for sure however this is the first time I've ever gone to the opposing side against Swick since he started in the ufc.
Great fight though so far the 4 fights named for this card I'm hoping are on the main card, unfortunatly I could see this fight on the undercard to likely make room for Brock, shitty.
But Marcus Davis 1st rd sub or gnp
gartface
2/26/08 12:18:28PM
First real test for Marcus Davis...this is a tough one, I see it going to decision though.
Pages: [1] 2