Mike Swick calls out Thiago Alves (Video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mike Swick calls out Thiago Alves (Video)
MMAcca
12/15/08 8:08:30AM
emac_cleary
12/15/08 8:46:49AM
takes balls to call out alves
jakeiceman
12/15/08 8:55:39AM

Posted by emac_cleary

takes balls to call out alves

Swick does not have the power or the awesome leg kicks but I think I would pick Swick in this one just because of his sheer speed. Swick is also huge for that division just like Alves. It would be a great fight.
Aaronno9
12/15/08 9:11:58AM
I think koscheck showed that Alves isn't invincible in the stand up, and swicks striking is better than Joshs, so i wouldn't right him off. Its a tougher fight to call than it seems at first glance, i dunno who id go with. I mean, swick took some big shots from Marcus and didnt go down, so i cant see Alves putting him away with one shot.
emfleek
12/15/08 9:31:43AM
I personally think Thiago would dominate Swick. Completely.
Bowen50
12/15/08 9:52:53AM

Posted by Aaronno9

I think koscheck showed that Alves isn't invisible in the stand up, and swicks striking is better than Joshs, so i wouldn't right him off. Its a tougher fight to call than it seems at first glance, i dunno who id go with. I mean, swick took some big shots from Marcus and didnt go down, so i cant see Alves putting him away with one shot.

unless it's that dreaded flying knee.

i'd honestly love to see this fight before Thiago gets his title shot. it would be like Ken Flo taking the fight against Stevenson just because he doesn't want to sit around. i think Thiago should vie for this fight just to stay active and hell, he's exciting to watch.
ohiostate1016
12/15/08 10:00:15AM
Did anybody tell Swick that Alves' next fight is probably against GSP? And Swick doesn't really have much of a chance against Alves or many of the top guys in the WW division. He'll be like Karo. Good enough to beat most of the average guys, but not good enough to make it all the way to the top.
TheNatural915
12/15/08 10:19:27AM
Swick is a good welter weight but I don't think he is ready for Alves at
cj_striker
12/15/08 10:31:22AM

Posted by Aaronno9

I think koscheck showed that Alves isn't invisible in the stand up, and swicks striking is better than Joshs, so i wouldn't right him off. Its a tougher fight to call than it seems at first glance, i dunno who id go with. I mean, swick took some big shots from Marcus and didnt go down, so i cant see Alves putting him away with one shot.

But that would be bada55 if Alves was invisible huh? Just leg kicking the crap outta people and they can't see him. But serious though I agree with you that Thiago isn't invincible in the stand up game and I never believed that he was. Swick is much faster than Thiago and I'm not sure about Swick's reach, but I'd bet he definitely has a reach advantage seeing how Thiago is only 5' 9 and real stocky. Would definitely be an interesting fight, maybe after Alves loses to GSP or Penn.
pv3Hpv3p
12/15/08 10:52:37AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Koscheck showed Alves isn't invinsible by getting dominated for 3 rounds? I think Alves wins this fight easy and am not even sure that Swick should be talking about fighting that level of competiton at WW yet
bojangalz
12/15/08 11:00:52AM
two words: bad idea.

NE-1
12/15/08 11:04:35AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Aaronno9

Koscheck showed Alves isn't invinsible by getting dominated for 3 rounds? I think Alves wins this fight easy and am not even sure that Swick should be talking about fighting that level of competiton at WW yet

He didn't really call him out though, he said he'd like to fight him. I was expecting him to say he thinks he can beat him and outstrike him or something along those lines. That would be calling him out.

Swick needs to KO someone other than Goulet before he fights alves. Alves shouldnt take this fight because it wouldn't make any sense. You are the #1 contender and you go fight a guy who is co-headlining UFNs?? Nah climb the ladder just like everyone else.
MMAcca
12/15/08 11:11:22AM
Thiago Alves via MURDER
breakdown5
12/15/08 11:25:31AM
I don't know what he's thinking. I don't think that Swick would make it to the end of the fight to lose the decision like Kos. I think that Alves would cripple him with leg kicks for as long as Swick could hang. If Kos couldn't put Alves on the ground, Swick probably isn't going to either, and he can't hang with Alves standing, so how does Swick think that he can win this fight.
finnish_line
12/15/08 11:33:07AM

Everything to lose, nothing to gain (except a paycheck).

Don't fall for it, Thiago.
Aaronno9
12/15/08 11:45:47AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Aaronno9

No, he showed it by backing Alves up on more than one occasion and visibly hurting him, whilst not getting knocked out. Not bad for a wrestler considering he didnt manage to take alves down once. All im saying is a striker in swick might beable to have a better time against alves.
postman
12/15/08 12:21:42PM
I don't see Swick doing anything but getting manhandled by Alves
BigEvil
12/15/08 12:38:53PM
I think Swick has a slim chance in this one, but a chance nonetheless. Heres hoping Alves steps up like Florian and takes this (or any other fight) while he's waiting on GSP or Penn. BTW I think that if Penn wins Florian should get first shot not Alves IMO.
grimreaper
12/15/08 12:43:26PM
Dude Swick's got chicken legs Thiago would destroy them Swick needs to beat someone other than dissapointments and journeymen
gsquat
12/15/08 2:48:47PM
I think Swick is good enough to beat anybody in the WW division except GSP or Thiago. So he'll eventually get his shot at one of them.
MikeyG
12/15/08 2:49:45PM

Posted by emfleek

nuff said, alves is in another league
higdon10
12/15/08 3:56:41PM
I think that Swick can hang with Alves and possibly beat him. There is no reason for Alves to take this fight.
JackHammerXXX
12/15/08 5:28:17PM

Alves is in the driver seat as far as contendership. This would be a great matchup, and a very entertaining fight, and Just, maybe, Alves will want to fight again, before waiting for title shot, so this 'could' happen. But, as far as I'm concerned, Thiago shouldn't, and doesn't need to take this fight. Swick needs another win, and against someone in the top 5, Davis is close.

Question though, Thiago's nickname is "The Pitbull", and rightfully so, he fights like one. I think if he were to stop this streak, or halt it for the duration, until the winner of Penn/GSP? Wait, 3 more months, at least, for the shot? I'm just saying, you see how Florian has continued to take on fights, we will see who one ups the next, next between those two, because they both deserve their shots. Swick needs to fight a big name, true, Alves already did, three times in a row, this year, Just Chill
theguido
12/15/08 9:58:26PM

Posted by emfleek

I agree
NE-1
12/15/08 10:23:19PM

Posted by BigEvil

I think Swick has a slim chance in this one, but a chance nonetheless. Heres hoping Alves steps up like Florian and takes this (or any other fight) while he's waiting on GSP or Penn. BTW I think that if Penn wins Florian should get first shot not Alves IMO.

WHY? Because he beat stevenson and Huerta? Franca and Sherk are the real test in that division. Hell I'd rather see him throw down with spencer fischer first or even Frankie Edgar. Florian's victory over Stevenson was impressive. I think Thiago who has beaten Lytle, Karo, and Hughes all by TKO and then absolutley dominated Koscheck in a fashion similar to GSP is much more deserving.
Jackelope
12/15/08 10:42:23PM
I give Swick a lot better chance in this fight than most
pv3Hpv3p
12/16/08 11:04:43AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Aaronno9

No, he showed it by backing Alves up on more than one occasion and visibly hurting him, whilst not getting knocked out. Not bad for a wrestler considering he didnt manage to take alves down once. All im saying is a striker in swick might beable to have a better time against alves.

I get what your saying... I just don't think that would be the case... If Swick were to fight and beat Alves it would have to be in much the same way that he beat Davis... Not standing on the feet...

With a top notch wrestler like Kos, there's no way for Alves to set his feet comfortably for his strikes cause he's always gotta worry about the ligtning quick shot... When he's got confidence to stand and trade seems that Thiago is a totally different animal, and it's always hard to train for the power of his leg kicks...

Kos may have had a few seconds of success during his fight with Alves, but I don't think many would argue that Thiago took that decision with ease... Swick hasn't really done anything to impress me at WW, and until he does I personally don't think a fight with Alves makes any sense for either fighter