Mike Guymon Running Away from Father Time, Chasing UFC Return

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mike Guymon Running Away from Father Time, Chasing UFC Return
BuffaloDave
7/23/12 2:05:17AM
Following his release from the UFC in early 2011, former King of the Cage welterweight champion Mike “Joker” Guymon decided it was time to step away from the sport. A year later, he felt amiss in his decision to retire, and decided to return to MMA.

“I took a fight with BAMMA (in March), coming back at 155 pounds and fought Cris Leyva and I felt great,” Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. “I had that fire back in me. Just everything that was missing before, I had that back.”

Then this past Friday, Guymon’s triumphant return continued, as he took a unanimous decision over Xtreme Couture prospect Mike Dizak at BAMMA’s latest installment in Commerce, Calif.

“This was probably the toughest out of all my fights because I did it with a fractured shoulder,” said Guymon. “So to fight someone like Dizak and come out on top with the adversity I went through is something I’m still, like, tripping on.

“I think there’s a couple of things that need to be done on my shoulder, but I want to get back in there,” he said. “I want to work my back into the UFC and show people what I can do.

“I’d love to do it this year, but I think it’d be unrealistic to think I could pull off a huge string of victories quick by the end of this year with the way my physicality is now. I’m thinking that at the very first part of next year, I’d love to have that position where I’m back in the UFC and I’m fighting at 155 pounds.”

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
7/23/12 2:41:30AM
Might be a tough weight cut @ 37 years old....Ahhh....The Joker Returneth
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
FastKnockout
7/23/12 3:21:24PM
I like the guy, but I still believe it was the level of competition in the UFC that held him back, not his lack of passion.
frizzzlecake
7/23/12 11:56:22PM
I thought Mike has serious back problems? He tapped out to a Body triagnle because of them?