Does MIke Goldberg know anything about MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Does MIke Goldberg know anything about MMA?
NatedawgThaM
9/23/07 12:27:38PM
I'm not bashing him but it seems like the only accurate information that comes out of his mouth is what Joe Rogan just said or what the UFC telepromter says...

Does he know anything about MMA? These are just a few of the quotes that I heard form him last night that made me laugh my but off....

During the Jardine/Liddel fight like 20 seconds after Jardine got cut open "OMG Jardine is cut open!" lol DUH!!!

"Diego promises this will be a better performance then the one he had a UFC 70" It was 69!!

there was like 40 more but I was just laughing my ass off all night at him...

one of my friends I was watching it with was like..

"Dude I F**kin hate this guy..." just the way he said it! LMAO!!!
MALICE
9/23/07 12:49:36PM
Mike Goldberg is like the news anchor, and Joe Rogan is like the Field Reporter. Mike asks stupid questions, and makes obvious comments, to keep the conversation going. And Joe gives the more educated view on the fighters, and what is happening in the fights. But no, I dont think Mike knows the difference between an mma fight, and a wwe match.
Ydoc
9/23/07 3:29:15PM
MALICE has it nailed. I don't think Goldberg is a fan, and Rogan is a big fan, so you can easily see the difference when Rogan actually studies the sport because he's into it while Goldberg just does it for the paycheck.

The most annoying thing he keeps saying for me is how a wrestler wants to take it to the ground, but only if he can be on top. Well duh.

Every UFC event feels like a Sherman (Goldberg) and Mr. Peabody (Rogan) cartoon short when Goldberg asks all those annoying questions.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
mrsmiley
9/23/07 3:32:39PM
Goldberg has got to go.They don't even talk to him on the prefight show or anything.If Al Gore had something of a personality,he would be Mike Goldberg.
backalley101
9/23/07 5:23:20PM
You think that Mike Goldberg says stupid things? Have you seen the Fight professor? He says some really stupid shit. One fight, he said that one guy should be afraid of the other guy because the other guy had a lot of tattooes. The guy, without the tattooes, ending up whooping the other guys ass. It just goes to show how ignorant the Fight Professor is.
MALICE
9/23/07 6:32:18PM
That's funny.
Stickan
9/23/07 7:52:02PM
Just watch Cage Rage and you will never want to trade Goldberg for anybody else ever again.

I like Rogan and Goldberg. They ARE UFC. Would be very strange without either of them.
zephead
9/23/07 7:54:41PM

Posted by backalley101

You think that Mike Goldberg says stupid things? Have you seen the Fight professor? He says some really stupid shit. One fight, he said that one guy should be afraid of the other guy because the other guy had a lot of tattooes. The guy, without the tattooes, ending up whooping the other guys ass. It just goes to show how ignorant the Fight Professor is.

I agree. The Fight Profeesor is a not that good.
mrsmiley
9/23/07 8:18:37PM
I'll take the fight Professor or Bas Rutten over Goldberg any day.
JWest12
9/23/07 9:17:51PM
I was just thinking last night how Goldberg doesn't really know what he's talking about. But then again i tihnk that every UFC. I like it when he always says "So you want to be an Ultimate Fighter?" everytime someone gets hit hard or is bleeding.
DevonFoxy
9/23/07 9:43:24PM
im gonna hate on Rogan a little bit lol i love the guy and he knows his stuff but my favorite thing last night everything like a punch is like "oh good jab good jab" then when Jardine lands a leg kick hes like " LEG KICK WOAH WHAT A LEG KICK!!"
then its quite and jardine landed another
"LEG KICK OH MAN WHAT A LEG KICK!!!!!!"
just thought it was funny
TNunley
9/24/07 1:22:20PM
I just like watching the prefight when Goldberg and Rogan are "chatting" and Goldberg is always in Rogan's personal space. He's leaning in staring and constantly nodding his head. There have been several times I could tell that Rogan felt a little uncomfortable about it, and slightly leaned away.
NME
9/24/07 3:13:17PM
Funny story.

So we were watching UFC 76, and I was thinking "I don't know why everyone hates Mike Goldberg so much."

Then literally the moment after thinking that, Golderg says "The long awaited match that we've been waiting a long time for."

And it was all downhill from there, really.
warglory
9/24/07 4:37:35PM
Goldberg gets repetitive, but I bet he knows more UFC history and stats than Rogan. The man has been commentating for the UFC since like, UFC 20 or something like that, he knows his shit. People give him too much criticism in my opinion. Bas Rutten is great, but have you seen him on Inside MMA? He is horrible! He is constantly stumbling over his words and trying to find things to say. He is a good play by play guy, but you need a straight shooter to fill in the voids, Mike is great at this and has perfect timing. The fight professor is often not all together professional as someone already mentioned. I think the only guy who is a better straight shooter than Goldberg is Mauro, who is definitely my favorite all time commentator.
TNunley
9/24/07 4:51:29PM
Yeah, Goldberg is probably the only man for the job. He is definitely more commentator than fan... but if you listen to some of the old UFC commentating, you're glad when you hear Goldberg today.
NME
9/24/07 8:02:01PM

Posted by TNunley

Yeah, Goldberg is probably the only man for the job. He is definitely more commentator than fan... but if you listen to some of the old UFC commentating, you're glad when you hear Goldberg today.

That is undoubtedly true.
We_Todd_Did
9/25/07 2:10:08AM

Posted by TNunley

Jim Brown and Jeff Blatnik FTW!
TheHitmanTL
9/26/07 6:47:32PM
well hes better than bill goldberg from elite xc hahahah
Cladrix
9/27/07 12:27:27PM
Hes good but I just hate the way he says "Inside the Octagon" with his fist in the air........ I hate that
Jackelope
9/27/07 12:34:18PM
Goldberg's a douche. I still remember one of the funniest things he said a few UFC's ago

He was talking about someone being older, maybe Dan Henderson, and he says "The guy is 37 years old, not quite as old as that HW champ" Well, randy was in the booth with them and obviously he was trying to just put a little joke on Randy, but both Randy and Joe answered Goldberg with literally about 5-10 seconds of dead silence. You could tell Goldberg was thinking to himself "Oh, shit.... I just made a REALLY bad joke on the air and these guys think I'm a loser" Which I hope they do

Ordep
9/28/07 8:06:01AM
Mike and Joe's comments are really biased to some fighters. Randy saves the comments when he's in.

Give the mic to Rampage!!!!
TNunley
9/28/07 8:45:39AM

Posted by Ordep
...Give the mic to Rampage!!!!

Ha.... Rampage has about a 3 second delay before you can understand what he's saying half the time. Did you hear his post fight interview when he beat hendo?