Mike Brown Pummels Leonard Garcia To Retain Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mike Brown Pummels Leonard Garcia To Retain Title
MMAcca
3/2/09 12:31:44AM
It's always said that a champion is not a champion until they defend the title. That's what WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown did decisively on Sunday night with a first round destruction of top contender, Leonard Garcia.

LINK
lohmann
3/2/09 12:37:50AM
Before this fight, I was certain Faber could pull the mat out from under Brown in their rematch. I am not so certain anymore.
chickmagnet
3/2/09 1:04:33AM
Faber is going to have some serious trouble getting that belt back.
EMauricio
3/2/09 1:43:24AM
In the first fight Faber-Brown, I don't know that Urijah really understood the power and the skill from Brown. One can say that he understimated Brown. Obviously, now after having lost to him and after having seen how he finished Garcia, Urijah understands much better the quality of fighter Brown is. BUT, I think Urijah is still the better fighter. A very complete fighter and very strong for his weight. As much as I have liked Brown in both fights he is the more conservative of the two and Urijah is versatile, more adaptable to what might come his way. The next fight between these two is going to be a BATTLE of titans. No one, in their right mind, would want to miss that fight.
Pskinner_mma314
3/2/09 3:17:47AM
damn, that over hand right was sick.

maybe urijah will remember not to lean into that punch next time.

bad idea.

urijah vs brown 2..........

takin brown

KO

rd 3

...................rd 3 cuz urijah will learn from his mistake in bein wild against someone who its bad to fight wild against.

but urijah still gets caught tryin to exchange, it'll be the right hand, just don't know what punch it'll be
komodo20
3/2/09 7:33:54AM
Mike Brown will just KO Faber if they fight one more time Brown is just two strong and powerful for these guys at 145.
StriderXero
3/2/09 8:06:37AM
I dont think Faber will get his belt back. Mike Brown might be too much for anyone in that weight division. Hopefully Kid will come to really spark things up in the WEC.
Porch28
3/2/09 8:10:14AM
I just can't believe how everyone is writing off Faber already .
emfleek
3/2/09 8:29:17AM

Posted by Porch28

Agreed.

I still think Faber wins the rematch *and* would win 9 times out of 10.
DevonFoxy
3/2/09 8:39:20AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Porch28

Agreed.

I still think Faber wins the rematch *and* would win 9 times out of 10.

Exactly Faber may not be as strong as Brown but Faber has the better striking and is faster. I'll take my chances on Faber because he usually always pulls something out. The first fight wasn't a very good depiction of how good either fighter will be against each other because Faber rocketed himself into a fist.
theguido
3/2/09 9:04:10AM

Posted by Porch28

I don't think people are writing off Faber as much as they are realizing how damn strog, fast, and technicaly sound Brown is.
4u2nv
3/2/09 9:13:49AM
Brown over Faber once again. This time a UD for Brown no prob.
prozacnation1978
3/2/09 9:15:31AM
brown creamed him, i think jose aldo should get next title shot that would be a great fight
roadking95th
3/2/09 11:10:05AM
I know it won't happen, but this goes back to my idea of adding WEC fights to UFC100. I say add these four fights.

Faber v. Brown
Garcia v. Aldo
Varner v. Cerrone
Torres v. ? doesn't really matter.

That's what I'm talking about.

Not sure about Faber winning 9/10. I see it as an even fight maybe 6/10, one way or the other, just depends one your flavor of kool-aid.
fizzle
3/2/09 11:54:20AM
I think Faber's ability to pull something out of his bag of tricks is what cost him last time so I don't count that as one of his advantages over Brown at this point in time. Brown defended his strap in ruthless fashion. I don't think Faber wins easily, but I think its possible. I agree with the poster above me that said its a bit more even that 9/10. 5/10 or 6/10 sounds a lot more accurate to me.
warglory
3/2/09 12:05:35PM
Uriah will take this in my opinion. Their last fight was not a fluke, Mike proved that last night, but Uriah is still a much better fighter.
wiggum
3/2/09 12:10:57PM

Posted by theguido

Posted by Porch28

I don't think people are writing off Faber as much as they are realizing how damn strog, fast, and technicaly sound Brown is.

my thoughts exactly.....brown somewhat came out of nowhere....hardcore fans know him, but as far as exposure goes, faber has been in the spotlight for awhile...so now theres a new sheriff in town ya know.......honestly, i have always thought faber was overated......its his atheticism, not his technical skill, that gets him far, but sometimes it just isnt enough....not saying hes not a top featheweight by any means, hes defintily top 5 in the world...but i think we see brown victorious in the rematch, unless a cut or injury happens.....brown is gonna be tough for anyone to dethrone, i dont like his style, but he is good at was he does ....aldo might have the best shot right now...crisp striking and bjj black belt, plus hes quick and slick and thats what its goona take to beat brown if you dont have superiour wrestling......wouldnt mind seeing frankie edgar drop down and fight 145, he could be dominate
Wolfenstein
3/2/09 3:34:45PM
I've always felt Faber was a little overrated. He was dominating when the FW division was barren, and now that it's a little more stacked he has a lot to prove because really his biggest win is probably over Pulver who isn't top ten, and over Curran (a 135'r who was beating him up until getting subbed).

I think Brown is stronger, a better wrestler, and has more power. It would be a close fight, but I don't think Urijah really has any edge other than speed. I think his only way to victory would be to outpoint Brown.

I knew Brown had some power, but wow that overhand right is serious! Roger Huerta hit Garcia wth everything but the kitchen sink and couldn't put Leonard away, but that overhand right by Brown had Leonard seeing stars.
Pookie
3/2/09 3:39:37PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I've always felt Faber was a little overrated. He was dominating when the FW division was barren, and now that it's a little more stacked he has a lot to prove because really his biggest win is probably over Pulver who isn't top ten, and over Curran (a 135'r who was beating him up until getting subbed).

wholeheartedly

Posted by Wolfenstein
I think Brown is stronger, a better wrestler, and has more power...

As well as better jits and a tremendous reach advantage.
mentalcase
3/2/09 3:47:48PM
mike brown is still not on this site p4p list?
higdon10
3/2/09 4:21:47PM
I like Brown over Faber in a rematch. I did before seeing Brown destroy Garcia on Sunday. MTB is a beast. The rematch is a fight that I cant wait to see.
emfleek
3/2/09 4:25:21PM

Posted by mentalcase

mike brown is still not on this site p4p list?

No, he's not. And he shouldn't be, either.
mentalcase
3/2/09 5:27:38PM
yeah he is hes the best FW in the world he beat the best, i think anyone at the top of there weight class deserves a spot
bls1919
3/2/09 9:57:02PM
Damn, Brown laid a beatdown on Garcia. I really thiought that fight would be a war. Mike Brown is setting a tone for his career. WIN, WIN, WIN. I cant wait to see a rematch with Urijah.
Boo_Radley21
3/2/09 10:38:50PM
****. I wanted Garcia to win. Did he at least do alright or was it just a good beating by Brown. I haven't seen the fight yet.
mentalcase
3/2/09 10:47:33PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

****. I wanted Garcia to win. Did he at least do alright or was it just a good beating by Brown. I haven't seen the fight yet.

it was a total beat down for the 2 minutes it lasted
Boo_Radley21
3/2/09 10:49:38PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Boo_Radley21

it was a total beat down for the 2 minutes it lasted

Damn. I guess I'll have to watch it. Beatdowns are always fun to watch. Even when the guy I picked loses.
Kracker_Jap
3/2/09 10:58:16PM
Brown impressed me

I would like to see the rematch, before I hug on him tightly
EliasG
3/3/09 12:18:09PM
Rematch will be great but honestly, what impressed me most in the first fight between Brown and Faber was that Brown looked "stronger' than Faber and Faber's strenth is his superior strength and explosiveness. That seemed fairly well negated, he couldn't seem to get a takedown and was being outstrengthed by Brown. His explosiveness was still there but obviously led to an AA reckless moment resulting in the same outcome--KO.

I love Faber though and I'm convinced that he'll gameplan really well for Brown, i'm just not convinced that he has the power to stop Brown. Brown really seems like a bully at this weight class.

Faber might do well, at his height and weight to go down and fight Miguel Torres. that's a superfight...but only if he doens't win against Brown. Who knows what will happen when they fight again. I don't so I'm watching...