Miguel Torres Wants To Move To 155

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Miguel Torres Wants To Move To 155
DCRage
3/19/09 6:22:25AM
UFC Lightweights should prepare for the mullet. In a recent interview with Versus, WEC Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres said that, considering it would likely mean bigger fights and more money, he would like to jump up all the way to Lightweight (155) at some point if he can get a 3-fight deal with UFC.

Article
emfleek
3/19/09 9:17:53AM

Posted by DCRage

UFC Lightweights should prepare for the mullet. In a recent interview with Versus, WEC Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres said that, considering it would likely mean bigger fights and more money, he would like to jump up all the way to Lightweight (155) at some point if he can get a 3-fight deal with UFC.

Article

Thank you. Now I need a towel.

I'd *love* to see Miguel in the UFC...

crushedbacon
3/19/09 9:49:41AM
Oh wow, I often pondered the possibility of this, great to hear.
theguido
3/19/09 9:58:45AM
He will have his work cut out for him but really exciting
Twenty20Dollars
3/19/09 11:02:16AM
He would have good height for 155, but not good size. Considering all the good wrestlers in UFC's 155.
StPierreCanada
3/19/09 11:05:43AM
Finally he will challenge himself more. But he will do bad at LW. He needs to try his luck at 145 first. Even there I can't see him doing good.
wiggum
3/19/09 12:58:06PM
he needs to put on A LOT of weight if he moves up...hes only 28, so he's basically at the end of his serious muscle weight gaining years.....and he needs to work on his wresltling...right now, i can see him beating the gate keepers in the ufc, but not getting past the top 5 in the division.....should move to 145 and then up after that, make it a slower process to 155 so he can adjust to the weight....guys got the skills, but so does bj penn and belongs at a low weight class
xphycorx
3/19/09 1:01:45PM

Posted by wiggum

he needs to put on A LOT of weight if he moves up...hes only 28, so he's basically at the end of his serious muscle weight gaining years.....and he needs to work on his wresltling...right now, i can see him beating the gate keepers in the ufc, but not getting past the top 5 in the division.....should move to 145 and then up after that, make it a slower process to 155 so he can adjust to the weight....guys got the skills, but so does bj penn and belongs at a low weight class

i wanted to give you props because i agree with everything you are saying, but it said i can't because i recently gave you props..?? i dunno..?
TheBestEVER
3/19/09 1:28:43PM
Really bad move in my opinion. He just does not have the size. Think about him against guys like sherk, griffin, edgar, maynard, he would get out wrestled.. His stand up is not near as good as BJ's, Ken-Flos, Sherk again and many others. I think he would get washed by Faber at 45, not to mention Mike Brown... Tough situation to be in for Torres...
GSPCanada
3/19/09 1:55:45PM
He should put on some muscle and move to 145 first and then if it works the ufc should give him a shot but help him out by letting him fight the smaller 155ers that should probably be fighting at 145 like guida grifiin or edgar.
Styles
3/19/09 1:59:11PM
I applaud him for wanting to challenge himself. Like everyone else has said... UFC's LWD is all wrong for him. It would be great for his career if he could come in and win 3 fights at 155. How many 155 fights has the guy had, I dont recall any, maybe a couple of 145lb fights, but I vant remember at this time. I think Torres/Faber would be a great fight. Maybe a card should be made for Torres/Faber and Kid/Brown. That would be a kick ass card no matter how boring all the other fights were. As for Ken-flo, I have said for a long time, if Ken-flo fails at winning the LW belt, I would really like to see him in the WW class fighting people like Fitch. Although Kenny is awesome at 155, I think he would do just as good if not better at 170. In Tuf, he won at 185 correct?
ncordless
3/19/09 2:19:29PM
Torres is going to have all the competition he can handle at 135 with Bowles, Page, and if/when Faber, Aldo, and Assuncao move into the BWs.
Wolfenstein
3/19/09 2:35:45PM
I think this is actually the right move for Miguel in terms of securing his financial future. Obviously he'll face some serious struggles moving up two weight classes, but I think it's better to face adversity than dominate inferior competition for peanuts.

He has the frame to carry more weight, and I assume he's cutting from 145-150 now, so packing on another 15-20 pounds isn't an unrealistic goal. That said I think Zuffa will stomp this idea. They're planning on doing PPV's for WEC, and you can't do that with just Urijah Faber.
Aaronno9
3/19/09 3:34:14PM
Bad move for him imo. Bad for us aswel becouse his exciting style would be nulified by all the strong wrestlers in the division who would just overpower him. I see why he wants to move up though. It sucks for him how he'll never beable to make as much money as he deserves considering hes widely recognised as a top p4p fighter, just becouse of his weight.
TimW001
3/19/09 3:38:02PM

Posted by StPierreCanada

Finally he will challenge himself more. But he will do bad at LW. He needs to try his luck at 145 first. Even there I can't see him doing good.

I agree.
xdanish020
3/19/09 5:23:51PM
Torres is a ******* warrior man, I think he'd have success at 145 and 155.
Wolf
3/19/09 9:58:11PM

Posted by wiggum

dude. the one thing guys CAN do as they get older is add muscle. You slow down a bit, and are less agile, but you can get stronger and stay strong. That's why guys always move up in weight as they get older.
Pookie
3/19/09 10:55:48PM
His success depends on who hes matched up with

Fighting Sherk and Edgar would be bad match-ups for his style since their almost entirely takedown centered fighters and its really hard to submit them.

Huge fighters for 155 like TIbau and Maynard may also give him problems just by outweighing him anywhere from 20-35 pounds on the day of the fight.

Bj Penn and Florian i could see beating torres at his own strengths due to them both having equal or better bjj, and being able to strike from long range better than 99% of the fighters in MMA. I think Florian would outwork him and have a Machida-esque victory, while Bj penn is talented enough in every area to beat him anywhere.

However fighters like Fisher, Tyson Griffin, Danzig, Guida, Lauzon, Diaz, Franca, & Huerta i think he has a solid chance against.

Fisher fights similarly to Torres, but without kicks and knees and the level of BJJ torres is. HIs hands are just as fast however, and would make for a war.

Huerta has holes in his stand-up and i could very well see him get picked apart by Torres' tremendous jab.

Danzig i think would get destroyed in every area

Tyson griffin is extremely hard to take down and keep there so i doubt torres will do take be able too, but with a reach deficit and a tendency to like to strike on the inside especially with body shots, i could see Torres' striking game being perfect to frustrate him.

Franca is similar to Guida in that they have horrendous striking defense against fighters that throw straight punches like Torres does. On the ground with Franca its a wash, and on the ground with guida i think he outclasses him.
Guida could win through bear hugging however.

Lauzon v. Torres is an exciting fight as they fight very similarly, but i just see torres being more refined.

Diaz v. Torres would be one of the few matchups in the division where torres doesnt have the reach advantage, and the fight is a wash on the ground in terms of bjj. Torres larger arsenal of strikes would earn him the decision in my opinion however.

Pookie
3/19/09 10:57:27PM

Posted by Wolf

Posted by wiggum

dude. the one thing guys CAN do as they get older is add muscle. You slow down a bit, and are less agile, but you can get stronger and stay strong. That's why guys always move up in weight as they get older.

That and the fact that reflex timing slips and fighting slower guys evens out that effect of getting old.

I just realized that may have been when you met by "less agile" though.
higdon10
3/20/09 4:31:28PM
I think that the move has negatives and positives. While he wont be a dominant LW, boy would it be exciting to see him fight some of the best guys in the world.
coldchillin
3/20/09 6:45:04PM
I think he should move up to 145 but not higher... there would have to be some money in a fight with Faber.

Torres would absolutely wreck Faber @ 145.