Mighty Mouse signs debut agreement for “Sudden Death” round at UFC On FX

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mighty Mouse signs debut agreement for “Sudden Death” round at UFC On FX
emfleek
2/22/12 8:00:27PM
Demetrious Johnson, the talented bantamweight that now has the opportunity to be the first flyweight champion in the UFC, has signed a landmark bout agreement with ZUFFA for a ‘sudden death’ round for his fight with Ian McCall at UFC on FX. The agreement stipulates that if, after 3 rounds, the judges are undecided on a winner, the fight will go to a 4th round, also called “suuden death.” In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Mighty Mouse detailed the particulars.

“I don’t know if anybody has said anything about it, and this is the first time I’m mentioning it, is that we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”

When asked if this new agreement was specific to his fight, or if it was universal for the entire card, Johnson had this to say,

“I’m assuming that it’s for me and Ian McCall. I can’t say if it’s going to be for Joseph (Benavides) and Yasuhiro (Urushitani), because I’m not gonna say that the UFC made those guys sign, too. I’m telling you, specifically, that I signed a contract for an extra round on the bout agreement. I’m not gonna say that they did. I’m assuming, in my unprofessional opinion, that they did as well.”

Whether this addendum is designed for the introduction of the flyweight division, or if it’s something the UFC is instituting for overseas cards in general, the concept is a good one. For all those times we, as fans, have said ‘One more round!’, this could be the game changer. Hopefully, we get some clarity on the permanence, or lack thereof, for this new twist.

LINK
Kpro
2/22/12 8:02:59PM
It'd be nice if it was something they'd start doing, but being a tourney where a winner has to move on, I'm assuming it's not something we'll see much of. And the odds of a draw happening in a 4 man tourney aren't that high, but now I'll be rooting for a draw just to see a sudden death round
Kpro
2/22/12 8:07:38PM
If the 4th round happens to be open for picking and someone nails a Johnson or McCall 4SUB or 4TKO that'd be wild.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/22/12 8:08:54PM

Posted by emfleek

Demetrious Johnson, the talented bantamweight that now has the opportunity to be the first flyweight champion in the UFC, has signed a landmark bout agreement with ZUFFA for a ‘sudden death’ round for his fight with Ian McCall at UFC on FOX. The agreement stipulates that if, after 3 rounds, the judges are undecided on a winner, the fight will go to a 4th round, also called “suuden death.” In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Mighty Mouse detailed the particulars.

“I don’t know if anybody has said anything about it, and this is the first time I’m mentioning it, is that we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”

When asked if this new agreement was specific to his fight, or if it was universal for the entire card, Johnson had this to say,

“I’m assuming that it’s for me and Ian McCall. I can’t say if it’s going to be for Joseph (Benavides) and Yasuhiro (Urushitani), because I’m not gonna say that the UFC made those guys sign, too. I’m telling you, specifically, that I signed a contract for an extra round on the bout agreement. I’m not gonna say that they did. I’m assuming, in my unprofessional opinion, that they did as well.”

Whether this addendum is designed for the introduction of the flyweight division, or if it’s something the UFC is instituting for overseas cards in general, the concept is a good one. For all those times we, as fans, have said ‘One more round!’, this could be the game changer. Hopefully, we get some clarity on the permanence, or lack thereof, for this new twist.

LINK

This is great, but too bad they aren't fighting at UFC on FOX. Writer didn't need the "O"

EDIT: She changed the headline. It's fixed now.
Poor_Franklin
2/22/12 8:28:41PM
awesome!
kopower
2/22/12 8:41:59PM
Good idea, I just hope the UFC doesn't make it a marketing gimmick. Seems kind of cheesy. I think all fights, regardless of importance, should have a deciding round. I can't stand draws. Hell, have another deciding round, if the first deciding round was a draw. 2 men enter, 1 man win.
prozacnation1978
2/22/12 10:36:37PM
Only took over 7 years to learn from the Penn vs uno debacle for the vacant belt
Sir_Karl
2/22/12 10:39:51PM
This sounds mighty stupid to me. Correct me if I am wrong but when they say that if the judges can't decide who won after 3 rounds....aren't they referring to a draw? Draws are almost non existent in MMA. So I think the odds of a 4th "sudden death" round in this case are almost nil. Are they referring to a split decision after three rounds??? If not....this makes no sense to me.
ghandikush
2/22/12 10:45:41PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

This sounds mighty stupid to me. Correct me if I am wrong but when they say that if the judges can't decide who won after 3 rounds....aren't they referring to a draw? Draws are almost non existent in MMA. So I think the odds of a 4th "sudden death" round in this case are almost nil. Are they referring to a split decision after three rounds??? If not....this makes no sense to me.

Saving from Penn Uno. I dont like it though, a draw is a draw, I love fights.
Kpro
2/22/12 11:02:14PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Per a Yahoosports article from July 2011, 2.4% of UFC bouts ended in a draw in the first 6 months of 2011. I know it's a small sample size but it's recent and relevant unless the first half of 2011 was an anomaly. Let's call it 2%. So the fight has a 1 in 50 chance of ending in a draw. Being that there are two fights that probably both will have the sudden death in effect, the odds of one of them going to a draw is a little under 1 in 25. It's not out of the question, and in a tourney format, someone has to go on. The guy who wins 2 rounds gets deducted a point for grabbing the fence and bam, the flyweight tourney is halted. Smart of them to plan ahead.
Bubbles
2/22/12 11:35:45PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Sir_Karl

Per a Yahoosports article from July 2011, 2.4% of UFC bouts ended in a draw in the first 6 months of 2011. I know it's a small sample size but it's recent and relevant unless the first half of 2011 was an anomaly. Let's call it 2%. So the fight has a 1 in 50 chance of ending in a draw. Being that there are two fights that probably both will have the sudden death in effect, the odds of one of them going to a draw is a little under 1 in 25. It's not out of the question, and in a tourney format, someone has to go on. The guy who wins 2 rounds gets deducted a point for grabbing the fence and bam, the flyweight tourney is halted. Smart of them to plan ahead.

I figured this was pretty easy to understand...I guess not for some people
Bythar
2/23/12 6:40:10AM
This seems pretty bad for the playground, since the picking system is fairly good, and not in need of clunking up.
pmoney
2/23/12 8:46:28AM

Posted by Bythar

This seems pretty bad for the playground, since the picking system is fairly good, and not in need of clunking up.

I doubt anything will change. You will still be picking fights the exact same way as before; it won't be any more complicated. Plus, fights wouldn't get dropped due to draws. If sudden death rounds are implemented across the board, here's how I envision PG scoring working:

For finishes, instead of choosing between 3-5 rounds, it would be 4-6. If you are ballsy enough to pick a 4th or 6th round finish, the option is there. If it comes earlier, you may still get your 7 points if you get the method.

For judges decisions, if it goes to a draw, then sudden death, and that round goes the distance, the judges decision just comes a round later. As long as you pick the right fighter, you'll still get your points.
Theoutlaw08
2/23/12 11:37:25AM
I love this idea. Sounds awesome.