Middleweight Michael Bisping suggests title fight hangs in balance at UFC 100

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Middleweight Michael Bisping suggests title fight hangs in balance at UFC 100
POLL: True or false?
True 50% (10)
False 30% (6)
Only Hendo deserves the shot with a win 20% (4)
babytater03
7/7/09 7:29:46AM
With UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva busy preparing for his Aug. 8 light-heavyweight showdown with Forrest Griffin, the next challenger for "The Spider's" middleweight crown may very well be decided on Saturday night in Las Vegas.

While Dan Henderson (24-7 MMA, 4-2 UFC) has openly stated he expects a second shot at Silva should he defeat Michael Bisping (17-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) at UFC 100, "The Count" recently said he's under the impression a win would also get him a shot at the 185-pound title.

click
State_Champ
7/7/09 7:41:53AM
Maybe Henderson will get a title shot. And then the winner of that championshp fight could be challenged by the winner of Martquardt/Maia....And at some point Okami could get his turn to try for the title...and that's not even the end of my list....

This division has a lot of contenders all of the sudden!
mentalcase
7/7/09 7:55:42AM
out of bisping vs hendo and maia vs marquart

if both of the guys that have already had a shot win give it to hendo

if both who haven't had a shot yet win give it to maia

if only one of the fighter whos had a shot win, give it to the guy who hasn't had a shot yet
prozacnation1978
7/7/09 9:22:56AM
ufc needs bisping to win they are setting up a nov ufc in egland free on spike tv, main event is silva vs bisping
now if he loses no biggie u move silva a week later to vegas vs hendo
supatolacyl
7/8/09 3:47:56AM
If Maia get's past Marquardt he should get the next title shot, regardless of the Hendo/Bisping fight. This is what all four fighters have accomplished in the middleweight division.

Maia: Wins over Ryan Jensen, Ed Herman, Jason MacDonald, Nate Quarry and Chael Sonnen (no losses in the division)

Marquardt:(since his loss to Silva) wins over Jeremy Horn, Martin Kampmann, Wilson Gouveia and a loss to Thales Leites

Hendo: (since his loss to Silva) wins over Rousimar Palhares, Rich Franklin

Bisping: wins over Charles McCarthy, Jason Day and Chris Leben (no losses in the division)

Looking at who each guy has faced, I believe if Maia wins he should get first shot no matter the outcome of the other fight.
If Marquardt wins and Henderson wins, then Henderson has first shot ( then Marquardt vs Okami or Cote for next shot).
If Marquardt wins and Bisping wins, then Marquardt has first shot (then Bisping vs Okami or Cote for the next shot)

A few others that could lside in for a title shot soon
Wandy if the ufc will fianlly give him a chance to fight at middleweight
Yoshihiro Akiyama about to make his UFC debut
Chael Sonnen I know he lost to Maia earlier this year, but could move up fast
Kpro
7/8/09 3:57:33AM
I think the winner of Hendo/Bisping should absolutely get the shot, especially with the extra PPV buys the last season of TUF would bring.

Sorry to Maia/Marquardt but you wouldn't sell as well and that's what it's all about.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/8/09 10:28:50AM
i think the next shot should go to the winner of Maia and Marquardt, especially if Maia wins, no one has even come close to making this guy sweat in a fight
RNC
7/8/09 1:45:12PM

Posted by Kpro

I think the winner of Hendo/Bisping should absolutely get the shot, especially with the extra PPV buys the last season of TUF would bring.

Sorry to Maia/Marquardt but you wouldn't sell as well and that's what it's all about.

And if Shaq comes to the UFC, he should get an immediate title shot for the HW belt because he'll have crazy PPV sales, and that's what its all about, right?

Wrong.

If Maia beats Marquardt, he will be on a 6 fight win streak with all wins coming by stoppage. That is incredibly impressive. Assuming Hendo wins, since the Silva fight, he will have only beaten Palhares and Bisping at MW. Factor in Franklin at LHW, Maia is still the logical choice. Dana White has said personally that Bisping will get a title shot if he wins, but I still disagree. A decision over Leben and most likely a decison over Hendo is not more impressive than 6 straight submission wins. As a fan of the sport and not an UFC employee, I hope the best fighter gets the shot, and that would, without a doubt, be Maia if he wins his next fight.
jiujitsufreak74
7/8/09 1:47:51PM
i think hendo is the only one who can defeat Anderson Silva, and he will always be the number one contender in my mind until someone beats him. if Bisping is able to defeat him then i believe he deserves a shot.